Installation license

Richard Aman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was told by a local store that they would not sell me security cameras because I didn’t have a license to install. Is there such a thing in NY?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was told by a local store that they would not sell me security cameras because I didn’t have a license to install. Is there such a thing in NY?
If you are installing for a third party, yes. Many states have licensing requirements and NY is one of them. You likely tried to buy from a distributor like ADI.

taz420nj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are never required to have a license to install your own cameras. Every state that requires licensing has an exemption for self installation of your own system. If the store tells you otherwise, you can cite 19 NYCRR §195.2 (c): A license is not required for the installation, maintenance or servicing of the following: (5) a security or fire alarm system if the alarm system has been purchased by a property owner or proprietor, and the alarm system is to be installed, maintained or serviced by him or his employees on his property or at his place of business.

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Really..WOW usually those greedy bastards could give 2 s&*ts about who they sell too Unless they are required to Directly support it and have a Agreement with the Supplier. But a store front ? Thats Odd. Lots of other places will gladly take your $$$ and Question Nothing. Did they want you to create a account with a NYS resellers tax ID ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are never required to have a license to install your own cameras. Every state that requires licensing has an exemption for self installation of your own system. If the store tells you otherwise, you can cite 19 NYCRR §195.2 (c): A license is not required for the installation, maintenance or servicing of the following: (5) a security or fire alarm system if the alarm system has been purchased by a property owner or proprietor, and the alarm system is to be installed, maintained or serviced by him or his employees on his property or at his place of business.
They dont care about his license or where he is installing, many dont want to bother with amateurs or are actually sticking to reseller agreements that require that they sell to installers.

Richard Aman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you are installing for a third party, yes. Many states have licensing requirements and NY is one of them. You likely tried to buy from a distributor like ADI.
It was not ADI. It was some other company. How do you get a license? I just wanted to buy some cameras. The guy was kind of rude about it. I've ordered camera's from other places and have never been asked if I had a license.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It was not ADI. It was some other company. How do you get a license? I just wanted to buy some cameras. The guy was kind of rude about it. I've ordered camera's from other places and have never been asked if I had a license.
Google is your friend.
There are lots of places to buy cameras. Why deal with some schmuck?

Richard Aman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It was local and I could physically look at them before I bought something. They had all sorts of patch cables and stuff. I love getting my stuff from BHphoto out of NYC. They have great tech help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It was local and I could physically look at them before I bought something. They had all sorts of patch cables and stuff. I love getting my stuff from BHphoto out of NYC. They have great tech help.
You put too much value in physically looking at something. You can get patch cables anywhere.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Lots of industrial supply houses will only sell wholesale or to municipalities, etc. There are a number of reasons, but one is that they want to keep their large-volume customers happy. And those large-volume customers are mostly contractors who mark up and resell the products. If they also sell directly to homeowners, etc., then the homeowners can see how bad they're being soaked by the contractors and retailers.

I've bought motors, toilets, and other equipment from some local wholesale suppliers for friends and relatives through my business. Sometimes the difference in price between the retail and wholesale can be very large.

I got a couple of special toilets for a friend, and they were 1/3 the lowest price he could find anywhere. And there was no freight charge because I could pick them up directly from this wholesaler and they simply had them brought in on one of their regular trucks.

My electronics company obviously wasn't in the plumbing business, but since I had a business license and tax ID, and, this particular plumbing supply house owned the building where I rented offices, they knew me. I just billed my friend and charged him my cost and added the sales tax, and he was really happy with the savings.

I was in a local irrigation supply place a few months ago because the public works folks for the town where I work said they had a lot of parts that might be handy for our water plant. I was wandering around just getting a feel for what they carry and they were very suspicious. They, too, only sell wholesale. When I told them that I was with the town, their whole demeanor changed and they were friendly and helpful.

Same for wholesale electrical supply houses, Grainger, etc., here. They're really happy to see you when they're familiar with you and your company or government entity.

It may not be that they care about the license as much as they don't want to sell direct to their customers' customers, potentially undercutting them.

Then again, it might be sort of a union/mob thing being in NY. ;)

Sorry, I just binge-watched the old Sopranos series. :)