Installation on Brick/Stone?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not sure if there is a "dummies" thread on this. But I'm 99% sure I'll be DIY'ing a Hikvision solution at my new house, and will likely have a ton of questions related to installation and setup of the cameras/NVR. So bear with me!

First question is regarding mounting the cameras on a brick wall and stone wall. I had the builder run Cat6 cables to various locations, 2 of which are on the brick wall, and 2 on a brick wall.

Looks like the builder drilled a small hole, just enough to get the Cat6 cable through. See picture of the front door below (I realize the camera will be a bit high).

NVR will be POE.

The attachments on the cameras seem to be a lot thicker than the holes. How does one go about installing these cameras right onto brick or stone? Is there a good thread somewhere showing this? Read somewhere about stripping the connector off the camera and connecting the actual wires from teh Cat6 cable to the wires on the camera (but that even that is complicated as the colours are different on the Hikvision wiring).

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can put the cables in the box or you can drill a 1" hole in the wall and fit them there. If the wires are coming out of the wall then I would do that.

What cameras are you going to fit? 2332s? You can just about squeeze the fitting in there to mount it flush. 2132s no chance I'm afraid.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can put the cables in the box or you can drill a 1" hole in the wall and fit them there. If the wires are coming out of the wall then I would do that.

What cameras are you going to fit? 2332s? You can just about squeeze the fitting in there to mount it flush. 2132s no chance I'm afraid.
+1

The height is good, if anything a little low you wouldn't want to go any lower than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can use this: http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b38JGUa4[/QUOTE] Although that might work depending on what camera they will be using, I wouldn't put that thing at my front door. [QUOTE][COLOR=#333333]Could I use something like this for the brick wall installation vs drilling a larger hole? I.e., would the cables fit into this box?[/COLOR] [URL="http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hikvision-DS-1260ZJ-Power-Intake-Box-In-Out-for-use-with-Hikvision-bullet-cameras-One-cylinder/1904834387.html"]http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hikvi...904834387.html
This is exactly what I would use assuming it fits the camera model you are wanting to go with. I would attach the box to the brick using tapcons screws and mount the camera to the box.

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the same issue at my house but I still have to run all my cables. I am an electrician by trade and I hate how a surface mounted box looks and the other camera mount looks commercial instead of just bad. The fact that many on this forum claim that you can fit the wiring into the base of 2332's and flush mount them is one of the pluses that has me convinced to use them on my house. Seems counterproductive to me to have an item that can be run over ethernet that needs a big huge box or hole to make the connection due to the size of the connector on the camera. Just my opinion and this is all new to me.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is the biggest design fault in a lot of hikvision camera's, they are security devices with accessible connections, I would personally cut off the 12v fly lead and the rj45 plugs rather than have a tatty mounting box

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah thats all security cameras since forever.. the problem is the engineers are thinking commercial applications, and in those applications most everything runs through conduit.. it provides physical security to the cabling, meets building codes, is often the only way to run cable in leased space.

Its not really a problem, look at almost all cameras in a commercial setting and thats how it works.. but were taking these and trying to apply them to residential buildings, so we hit these and think WTF are they thinking!? The answer is they weren't thinking about you and they dont care.. :)

Either embrace the conduit and junction boxes, or think and sweat your way around the issue.. but I dont see it changing any time soon.. At least your not trying to figure out what to do with a giant coax, a power pair and mic pair like the good old days :)

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can drill a 1" hole near the hole where the wire is coming out of so you don't damage the wire. Than channel over to the wire and shove all the connections in the 1"' hole. Make sure you silicone around the base of the camera as it won't sit flat on the rock. And even if it did sit flat, I'd still silicone it.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not quite true, as professional grade cameras tend have all connections inside the housings which includes an rj45 socket, it only the cheaper, budget end camera's that go for the unsecure pigtails.
It's a shame as it's so easy to fix for a manufacturer either
make the pigtail longer or removable, or make the terimations all internal on a smaller pigtail.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, I have a much bigger issue now.. Where to get hikvision cameras in Canada or what to switch to if I can't as I was going to order this month!