Installation - Quick Rookie Questions

R. Rod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello there,

I have a few questions coming from a totally rookie background here.
I'm installing 3-4 cameras outside a small cabin and I want to do this right.

Questions
  1. Should I use shielded cable for the outdoor runs?
  2. Do I need to ground the POE switch (Netgear GS110TP) and if so, how? E.g Do I need to run a wire from the house ground rod - like all other utilities do?
  3. Do I need to use ethernet surge protectors on each drop coming from outside? Do I need to use ethernet surge protectors on each camera?
I understand if lightning hits directly there is little I could do.
I'm concerned mainly about surges caused by nearby lightning and the potential that it fries the cameras and the network equipment.

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @R. Rod

Do search a bit for lightening issues and grounding here on ipcamtalk.

We've had a few discussion on it - just don't have much time to point you to those right now.

R. Rod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, I was getting a lot of noise because I was not restricting the results to hits on the title of the post only.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I was getting a lot of noise because I was not restricting the results to hits on the title of the post only.
Happy to help as I can. Title restricted searches are one of the better options on the search here. Sometimes using google to search on site: ipcamtalk.com works better for searches also.

Please do post links here in your first post ( use edit function to add ) so others who are also looking can find the threads you like on this topic.