Installation tips?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I should have my Hikvision domes and NVR coming in the next 3-4 weeks from AliExpress. I will be mounting 2 cameras on the side of a brick wall, 1 camera onto the side of a stone wall, and the rest in soffits in various locations.

I purchased a few brackets/junction boxes for the brick and stone mounts, as I don't think I want to drill larger holes than what is already there (they were pre-wired) and am hoping to be able to shove the connections into the boxes.

What other tips do people have for installation? Whether it's making/securing/protecting the cameras and/or cabling; getting the lens adjusted with as few trips up the ladder as possible, additional weather proofing (I'm in a suburb of Toronto Canada so the climate can be harsh at times with winter).

This is my first camera install, ever. So any help would be appreciated!

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Seems there is a suggestion to wrap the connectors in CoaxSeal (http://www.amazon.ca/Coax-seal-Hand-.../dp/B0002ZPINC) for weather proofing. Possibly wrap it in electrical tape before applying the CoaxSeal in case you ever need to take it off. Admittedly, knowing how sticky/gooey electrical tape gets after a while especially in warm weather it's hard to believe that will help much! :)

Any other tips are welcome!

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You don't specifically have to use coax-seal, you could use any brand of silicone duct tape which is essentially what coax-seal is. In Australia I just buy plain old run of the mill silicone duct tape from my local hardware store for just under $10 a 3m roll. I generally keep a couple of rolls in the van as it's got other uses as well besides waterproofing.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You don't specifically have to use coax-seal, you could use any brand of silicone duct tape which is essentially what coax-seal is. In Australia I just buy plain old run of the mill silicone duct tape from my local hardware store for just under $10 a 3m roll. I generally keep a couple of rolls in the van as it's got other uses as well besides waterproofing.
Something like this?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tools-hardware/small-job-home-repair-maintenance/tape-glue-sealants/tapes/fushion-pro-self-fusing-white-silicone-tape-0670022p.html?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes that likes like your local equivalent of what I use though for some reason black is 1/3 of the price of the white...

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone have tips as to how best to install the 2542 cameras onto stone, brick and soffits? I.e., screws to use, any weather stripping outside of the silicone tape around the connectors, etc?

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Stone has always been a challenge, was just attempting to drill in a blue stone foundation and was very difficult, all I can say is keep drilling and take breaks, have a spray bottle and spray water on the bit as you drill and ensure you have a concrete bit. Brick and soffit are much easier. Soffit I just use the supplied screws without the anchors and brick you can easily drill a hole the same size as the provided anchors.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Curious, what are people doing with the unused connections? Wrapping them in silicon tape to protect from the elements?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Curious, what are people doing with the unused connections? Wrapping them in silicon tape to protect from the elements?
Certainly wrap them in silicon tape. If you want a super clean look, enlarge the holes, its unlikely that you will ever remove the cameras. Worst case you can plug it.
If you use a junction box or mount, you will still need to drill into the stone to secure them....otherwise wrap everything an put it into the junction box. I like to drill a small hole at the bottom to let any water seep out...

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. How do you go about enlarging the holes and keeping the cat cables safe? In my case they are already terminated and sticking out.

Great tip on drilling a hole, wouldn't have thought of that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. How do you go about enlarging the holes and keeping the cat cables safe? In my case they are already terminated and sticking out.

Great tip on drilling a hole, wouldn't have thought of that.
Ive never enlarged a hole after the cable has been pulled...if there is not much room around the cable, it may be best to tie it to a pull string and push it back in the wall, then enlarge the hole and pull it back out..