Installation Woes (too much $$$)

Clark Griswald

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There are no security system installers in my area, but many electricians and telcom/electrical contractors that offer installation of owner supplied equipment, but no support & no "fine tuning" of equipment, just install and gone. I have no problem with software, since I use Blue Iris, yet currently I am physically unable to do the wiring/camera installation myself.

I was shocked when I called the recommended companies (least complaints) regarding quotes, and was told $100-$125 per hour minimum for residential camera installs. None of the companies came to my home for a proper estimate. Each of the companies stated "home installs are a one man install" o_O
I wouldn't mind the cost, if a crew was sent, but $100+ an hour for a single worker to run Cat6 is B.S.

I know everyone else has done their own installs perfectly (;)), but I am curious what the typical home installer charges?

TL;DR
Local Installers want too much $$$ in my area!

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't know where you live but in New Jersey $100-125 is the going rate. And that is per "man hour", so a crew of 4 would be $400-500 per hour.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats actually pretty good; per drop they charge ~$150 each around here, thats just for them to yank low voltage wires from point A to point B.. if the guys are quick and experienced you'll actually be saving money at those hourly rates.

the only affordable way to do this is DIY; otherwise you will pay.. cause it's a shitty job that requires skill.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
That pricing isn't out of line, short of finding someone to do it for you on the side or someone that is fly by night you prob. won't find a better deal. You are dealing with "Companies" they are not a "Non Profit". They have building/buildings, vehicles, insurance, taxes, etc they have to pay on top of payroll etc. If you find a local "Handyman" who doesn't have as much of that you might be able to get a better deal, however you obviously know the risks of doing that.

Bottom line - if you want a company that is insured and can be held accountable you were quoted a pretty fare rate.

Clark Griswald

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am just north of Sacramento, Ca.
I was astonished at the cost, since I paid $2000 to have my custom home alarm installed (all hardwired, no wifi):
12 windows, 6 doors, 2 motion sensors, smoke/CO2 alarm, and three keypads.

Thank you all for letting me know my area isn't too far out of the "norm".
I will keep looking for an installer.

RE: side job workers
Cousin Eddy said, when the law and "star whackers" stop looking for him, he can lend me a hand.

Thanks for the quick responses-
Clark

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am just north of Sacramento, Ca.
I was astonished at the cost, since I paid $2000 to have my custom home alarm installed (all hardwired, no wifi):
12 windows, 6 doors, 2 motion sensors, smoke/CO2 alarm, and three keypads.

Thank you all for letting me know my area isn't too far out of the "norm".
I will keep looking for an installer.

RE: side job workers
Cousin Eddy said, when the law and "star whackers" stop looking for him, he can lend me a hand.

Thanks for the quick responses-
Clark
Your home was wired when the walls were open...

Clark Griswald

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
thats actually pretty good; per drop they charge ~$150 each around here, thats just for them to yank low voltage wires from point A to point B.. if the guys are quick and experienced you'll actually be saving money at those hourly rates.

the only affordable way to do this is DIY; otherwise you will pay.. cause it's a shitty job that requires skill.
True Statement!!
I did my previous home, I ran the wire (cat5E bought in bulk) and paid to have the connections done "properly". Both my previous and new home were/are new construction with high attics, so plenty of room and ran whole house fan prior to going up top, so the air was cool. If I am unable to locate a capable installer at a better price, then I will post my DIY pix for all to see (laugh at).

Clark Griswald

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your home was wired when the walls were open...
No, installed after home was built.
ADT One installer, and he took one day. He drilled up into attic from inside house,then ran wires to media closet, installed "box" and was gone.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No, installed after home was built.
ADT One installer, and he took one day. He drilled up into attic from inside house,then ran wires to media closet, installed "box" and was gone. We do not have insulation within our interior walls, which significantly reduces wire fishing.
If it was all hardwired and nothing exposed you got a good deal..unless you had to enter into a lengthy motioning contract, then you got screwed.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cost of the system is usual included in the monthly charge so $2000 divided by 8 hours means you paid him $250 per hour. If you apply $1000 towards the cost of the equipment then you are at $125 per hour which is right in the ballpark. :)

Clark Griswald

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My wife questioned the deal, but we only had to sign a 3 year contract.
It has been 18 months, and only problem was smoke alarm went out, during this past summer, but was replaced for free.
Not advocating ADT, but I do recommend people get some form of home alarm for peace of mind. Especially people with children!
Since I installed cameras at my home, I have always recommended video for home. Being able to visually check my home, while away is great.
I use LiveCams Pro on my apple devices, so I can visually verify my home, if the alarm is triggered or the need to verify what the kids are doing.

Too funny, I just noticed that I never updated my personal page, and it list my old foscam cameras.
I haven't been to the site for quite some time. I like the changes that have been made to the forum,
and pleased to find longtime users and new people are still so helpful.

Clark

Clark Griswald

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Regarding the monthly charge, I had to ask my wife, approximately $30.
She asked why, I told her fenderman on the ip cam forum asked.
"Great, now we are going to do the camera thing again!", she said, as if I told her I wrecked her car.
I had her look at Nelly's page NSC-2X4-DM 4MP WDR EXIR Turret IP Security Camera 2.8mm - 4 MP - IP Cameras - Hi-Def Cameras - Cameras - Nelly's Security (Although in 4mm and 6mm)
She was surprised at the quality and cost, in comparison to the Hik 1.3MP bullets we previously installed. I integrated a Trendnet 8 port PoE to run those cameras, and I found that PoE worked well (YMMV).
Years ago, there was a user here named delpa(?), which migrated from his foscams to real cameras, and I was following his progression on my own system. Nice to have users post pix and vids to actually get real world examples.

Clark

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding the monthly charge, I had to ask my wife, approximately $30.
She asked why, I told her fenderman on the ip cam forum asked.
"Great, now we are going to do the camera thing again!", she said, as if I told her I wrecked her car.
I had her look at Nelly's page NSC-2X4-DM 4MP WDR EXIR Turret IP Security Camera 2.8mm - 4 MP - IP Cameras - Hi-Def Cameras - Cameras - Nelly's Security (Although in 4mm and 6mm)
She was surprised at the quality and cost, in comparison to the Hik 1.3MP bullets we previously installed. I integrated a Trendnet 8 port PoE to run those cameras, and I found that PoE worked well (YMMV).
Years ago, there was a user here named delpa(?), which migrated from his foscams to real cameras, and I was following his progression on my own system. Nice to have users post pix and vids to actually get real world examples.

Clark
Note that the 4mp will be worse in low light than the 1.3mp.....dalepa is still here.

Clark Griswald

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Fortunately, I have a street light directly across the street.
I have also seen (here) numerous IR floods and spots, if I need extra night lighting.

Glad that I mentioned how helpful dalepa had been in the past, and glad to know he is still around.

Last edited: