Installer in area uses G4 Direct - any experience with these?

ipc824

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

The cameras are of similar specification to Dahua from Andy. Some 4k having 1/2.8 sensor. The local guys use the 5mp because they say "4k" is worthless if your viewing on a lower res monitor. Although, I believe my phone is 4k.

Any thoughts or experience with these cameras?

Thanks

Last edited:

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
If one desires a Cadillac, then why would one believe that a "USAF owned and operated" firm
would not foist a Vega upon you? Oh, and for a higher price?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Exactly what is a 1.28 sensor? Do you, perhaps mean a 1/2.8" sensor? There is no appropriate sensor for a 5MP camera which is the big give away that this guy is blowing smoke up your a$$.

ipc824

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Exactly what is a 1.28 sensor? Do you, perhaps mean a 1/2.8" sensor? There is no appropriate sensor for a 5MP camera which is the big give away that this guy is blowing smoke up your a$$.
Yes, 1/2.8. Also, it was the 4k I was referring too. They appear to be Dahua's anyway.

Here is the 5mp they have on the wesbite:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, 1/2.8. Also, it was the 4k I was referring too. They appear to be Dahua's anyway.

Here is the 5mp they have on the wesbite:

Hi @ipc824

$248 for this camera? Is that the price you are getting for just the camera?

MX5CZ 5 megapixel Starlight, NDAA, Motorized zoom
by G4Direct

1661205819985.png

Attachments

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking at the specification sheet here is the problem: Color: 0.01Lux @F1.6 / 0Lux with IR on

In this day and age you will get horrible performance after the sun goes down. The color lux should be something like 0.0005 for good night time performance. Here is the specification from one of my 4K cameras. Color: 0.0005Lux@F1.6; B/W: 0.00005Lux@F1.6;

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5MP and the 4K they are hawking are worthless. Once someone tries to sell you a 5MP camera, run LOL. Not a single 5MP camera on the market on the proper MP/sensor ratio.

$248 for this piece of crap. Buy the 5442 from @EMPIRETECANDY for $189 have a much better camera that is 4MP on a much larger 1/1.8" sensor.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
After everyone tells you why not, It's just that everyone sees the big box stors selling 500 dollar camera systems, so why do you want 19000,00 to install 14 cameras at my office building. If these cameras are never going to need IF or the lights will always be on and bright.....

The consumer grade cameras have made it hard to sell "quality" systems for what it cost to do a "quality" job.

With AI fundtion..tripwire and intrusion areas on all the lower end cameras and NVR's....those with 1/2.8 or 1/3 cmoss sensors...it's harder to decide. I help install what you are asking about everyday, almost and customers are more than happy.

May be sad but true, especially if you have to install "NDAA " systems.

This is just my opinion from whoring out my limited talents to local companies that install cameras.

As a side note, youd be shocked, at what rich people pay for "smaet homes"

EDIT -It's not my spelling, it my typing skills!

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
After everyone tells you why not, It's just that everyone sees the big box stors selling 500 dollar camera systems, so why do you want 19000,00 to install 14 cameras at my office building. If these cameras are never going to need IF or the lights will always be on and bright.....

The consumer grade cameras have made it hard to sell "quality" systems for what it cost to do a "quality" job.

With AI fundtion..tripwire and intrusion areas on all the lower end cameras and NVR's....those with 1/2.8 or 1/3 cmoss sensors...it's harder to decide. I help install what you are asking about everyday, almost and customers are more than happy.

May be sad but true, especially if you have to install "NDAA " systems.

This is just my opinion from whoring out my limited talents to local companies that install cameras.

As a side note, youd be shocked, at what rich people pay for "smaet homes"
I know where you are coming from. When I post video from my cameras on my local Nextdoor site, I always get questions on what my cameras are and the cost. When I give them a clue to the cost, you never hear from them again.

ipc824

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 5MP and the 4K they are hawking are worthless. Once someone tries to sell you a 5MP camera, run LOL. Not a single 5MP camera on the market on the proper MP/sensor ratio.

$248 for this piece of crap. Buy the 5442 from @EMPIRETECANDY for $189 have a much better camera that is 4MP on a much larger 1/1.8" sensor.

You have been a tremendous help in getting my BI system up and running. For that I am thankful. I've heard what you have to say about sensor size, focal length, and playing with camera settings.

However, It's hard to see the results. I have both the 4k/X and the 5442, and a 5842 (against your advice). None of my tweaking thus far has left me with the "Identify" within 10 feet.

So, I say this with love, the constant Empire Tech recommendation is hard pair with my results. Maybe I have overlooked yet another detail; a firmaware upgrade, or a certain camera setting. But I'm as my avatar suggests, not impressed.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ipc824

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I started with Amcrest and seen a huge difference in quality when I jumped to Dahua. The price you can get 5442 models isn't expensive.

Buy once cry once..
But Amcrest is Dahua and the only function I couldn't get to work was IVS. That happened to be the feature I needed, but it was still same camera manufacturer.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think one of the big sellig points is the ptz with autotracking, tripwire and intrusion alerts.

We just installed a sys that wowed the customer, "comercial" and the majority of of cameras were 8MP Starlight IPC-HDW2831TM-AS-S2 IR WDR IVS. The picture during working hrs was supurb.

Of course their old sys was 720p over coax. So yes much better.

Although the ptz was a 4mp w 25 optical zoom. (an average ptz for most people that know cameras) ... the AI has been a game changer.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
While Amcrest is made by Dahua it is made to be less expensive. Less features, plastic cases, lower end processors and lower end video sensors. All that combines to make a price point, not a camera that is capable.

Just how far away are you trying to get identity? What are the lighting conditions? Some of that basic information would help tremendously.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
But Amcrest is Dahua and the only function I couldn't get to work was IVS. That happened to be the feature I needed, but it was still same camera manufacturer.
One of my Amcrest got water in it somehow... The others video setting and adjustments combined with the camera suck when it gets dark.

So yes they are the same but very different still.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have been a tremendous help in getting my BI system up and running. For that I am thankful. I've heard what you have to say about sensor size, focal length, and playing with camera settings.

However, It's hard to see the results. I have both the 4k/X and the 5442, and a 5842 (against your advice). None of my tweaking thus far has left me with the "Identify" within 10 feet.

So, I say this with love, the constant Empire Tech recommendation is hard pair with my results. Maybe I have overlooked yet another detail; a firmaware upgrade, or a certain camera setting. But I'm as my avatar suggests, not impressed.
If you are not impressed with the 4K/X or 5442, then I assure you that these cameras with the wrong MP/sensor ratio will be even worse. I have a few 5MP cams before I knew better and the 2MP on the same size sensor absolutely kills it.

You have shown us one field of view that I mentioned is a problematic field of view, but you should still be able to get captures to IDENTIFY a person at 10 feet.

Do you have any sample video of someone in motion that you can post for us to look at?

Do keep in mind that a "real" camera will provide a better image if you are trying to compare a camera to a surveillance camera. But of course a "real" camera won't last long outside and will be blind at night.

Either myself or @Wildcat_1 or a host of others would be happy to Teamviewer in to your system and help you dial it in.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi @ipc824

".. I have both the 4k/X and the 5442, and a 5842 (against your advice). None of my tweaking thus far has left me with the "Identify" within 10 feet .. "

Hmmm .. you should be able to ID within 10 feet .. did you start a thread and shared pictures?
( if not, suggest a title like "Need feed back on my image captures .. " )