Installing Blue Iris

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello all

I've been doing a lot of preparation work ready for my CCTV setup and I'm getting to the point of installing BI on my dedicated PC

I've seen people posting messages about running BI as a service - please can someone explain what this means and what the benefits are ?

I've downloaded the BI instruction pdf but it doesn't seem to have much info on the actual install - does anyone have any detailed instruction (or can you point me towards any) on how to complete the install the best way

Sorry to sound dumb - I'm just trying to ensure I don't f*ck it up :)

I'm installing onto a Dell 5040, i7 6700, 8Gb RAM, 128 Gb SSD

I have yet to add either a NAS or USB external drive for BI storage

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't worry you can't mess it up.. running as a service is toggled after the install... And is not even an option during the install process... If run as a Windows service it will automatically restart if it crashes... However it will run in the background you have to manually bring up the interface.... There are other ways to Auto restart and bring up the interface discussed in other threads

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As @fenderman said, go ahead with the install. Then go to "Options", "Startup" and Click on "Help" at lower right of that window. It will explain that page, including "start as a service".

When you have that NAS or USB drive ready, change video clip storage ("New" and "Stored" folders under "Options", "Clips & Archiving") from the SSD to the NAS or USB drive; only the BI program, the "Alerts" folder and the "db" folder should remain on the SSD.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Fenderman / TonyR - thank you both for your kind replies - very much appreciated

TonyR - I'm erring towards USB 3.0 in preference over NAS. Despite setting up & cabling the BI network as Cat 6 with a Gigabit ethernet POW switch, USB 3.0 offers far higher write (and read) speeds than ethernet & the DEll has a USB3 socket on it

MAy I ask - why should the 'Alerts' folder stay on the SSD ? TIA

Kind regards , Tony

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman / TonyR - thank you both for your kind replies - very much appreciated

TonyR - I'm erring towards USB 3.0 in preference over NAS. Despite setting up & cabling the BI network as Cat 6 with a Gigabit ethernet POW switch, USB 3.0 offers far higher write (and read) speeds than ethernet & the DEll has a USB3 socket on it

MAy I ask - why should the 'Alerts' folder stay on the SSD ? TIA

Kind regards , Tony
Record to a local drive...it is always most reliable. You can fit an ssd and a 3.5 into the dell.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
MAy I ask - why should the 'Alerts' folder stay on the SSD ?
It's the least important of the 3 items I mentioned (the BI program itself, the "Alerts" folder and the "db" folder) being on the SSD and only comes into play if the "store alerts as hi-res files" box is checked on Camera "Properties", "Record" tab. It's a small JPEG file, writes quickly to a SSD.

EDIT: In truth, no need to do anything with "Alerts" folder, you can leave the default path intact; just insure BI program and "db" folder is on SSD, "New" and "Stored" to hard drive.

Last edited: