Installing PTZ

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi,

is the method for installating a ip ptz the same as a normal ip camera (i.e. just one cat5/6 cable )
also is there anything else that needs to be considered when installing a ptz camera as opposed to a normal ip bullet or dome.

thanks

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Check the camera manual. Some ptz cams use an RS-485 serail comm cable for PTZ control.
Also check your POE budget. PTZ cams pull more power than conventional (non-ptz) cams

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PTZ's must be installed level horizontally.. with high zoom it becomes readily apparent as you try to pan side to side and it goes up or down depending on direction when someone didnt level it well.

Depending on distance usually PTZ's are installed at a high vantage so they can track distant objects without nearer objects interfering with the field of view..

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks for the replies

i'm looking at a few different hikvision ones so far and they power requirements says - High-PoE&24 VAC, Max.60W - can anybody explain what exactly this means, does it mean it will work using poe from the hikvision nvr?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I very much doubt it; most NVR's do PoE+ and thats ~25-30W over two pair.. standard PoE is ~14W over two pair.. High-PoE aka 4PPoE is over four pair and I dont believe has been standardized yet but can do up to 100W depending.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I very much doubt it; most NVR's do PoE+ and thats ~25-30W over two pair.. standard PoE is ~14W over two pair.. High-PoE aka 4PPoE is over four pair and I dont believe has been standardized yet but can do up to 100W depending.
oh ok, so does that mean i'd need an alternative power source?

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cheers, what would be the best option (i've never had to use alternative power) do you just get a plug where one sides goes into the camera and the other side into a plug socket? or is the a better option?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As point out, above PTZ cameras need normally 60w this means you can't connect directly to an nvr, local power is the preferred installation, but not always possible.
so to run on poe the item needed is called a midspan higher end camera tend to come with them, Hikvision cams do not.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Black Face Dahua runs off PoE+ and only needs 23W..

its largely dependent on how much IR the camera has.. to light up something very far away you need some serious IR

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As point out, above PTZ cameras need normally 60w this means you can't connect directly to an nvr, local power is the preferred installation, but not always possible.
so to run on poe the item needed is called a midspan higher end camera tend to come with them, Hikvision cams do not.
Thanks for that. Makes more sense now

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your cam comes with a power supply, like my Dahua PTZ, you could always run a separate power feed cable to the camera location from the transformer. A good sturdy mount is a must.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your cam comes with a power supply, like my Dahua PTZ, you could always run a separate power feed cable to the camera location from the transformer. A good sturdy mount is a must.
Does dahua ptz typically come with the power feed or midspan?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah it'll come with an 24VAC power supply with unterminated ends, typically you wire nut those up to some solid copper thermostat wire or something heavier gauge if its a real far run.. Alternating Current will go further on less copper than Direct Current in PoE will.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi everyone, just got another question

i wanted to mount the ptz on the wall but i don't want the footage to be obscured by the houses next to me (terraced houses) do i need to have the camera mounted on a pole so it's not too close to the wall or would a standard wall mount be sufficient (hope it makes sense) please see the picture below, assume the yellow alarm box is where the camera is going to go. thanks (that's not my actual house, just a picture from google)