Instead of a 2231, what could I use for a small area 20x25

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I see that the favored camera on these Boards is now IPC-HDW5442T-ZE
However, I'm also looking at the IPCAM store and there is also a mind boggling choice. I want outdoor cameras for an area 20x 25 feet and preferably with audio and active deterrence

I can forgo the audio if needed, as I'm also on a tight budget.

Thanks for any tips and recommendations.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Read the Cliff Notes and the WIKI.

You did not say anything about the purpose of the cams to monitor that area. Are you looking for just a wide angle overview? Do you need good low light color performance? Are you expecting to get good face shots at night?

What do you mean by "active deterrence"? Are you talking about a siren, motion lighting, flashing blue lights? Motion sensitive lighting does nothing to deter a perp nowadays. They just keep on doing whatever they are doing when the lights come on.

What is wrong with the IPC-HDW5442T-ZE?

Stating that you are on a "tight budget" tells us nothing of how much you can spend. Give a dollar amount for the cam you are willing to pay.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Read the Cliff Notes and the WIKI.

You did not say anything about the purpose of the cams to monitor that area. Are you looking for just a wide angle overview? Do you need good low light color performance? Are you expecting to get good face shots at night?

What do you mean by "active deterrence"? Are you talking about a siren, motion lighting, flashing blue lights? Motion sensitive lighting does nothing to deter a perp nowadays. They just keep on doing whatever they are doing when the lights come on.

What is wrong with the IPC-HDW5442T-ZE?

Stating that you are on a "tight budget" tells us nothing of how much you can spend. Give a dollar amount for the cam you are willing to pay.
Thanks

I'm looking for wide angle overview and yes good low light performance.

Re: active deterrence, yes I mean a siren or something.

The IPC-HDW5442 is around 200USD - my budget is lower than that. I had bought the 2231 and 5231 before - and it was much cheaper from memory

Thanks

Reaction score
Thanks biggen - so for the footage, what is the optimal length. Apparently that all went in to short term memory.

Cheers.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks biggen - so for the footage, what is the optimal length. Apparently that all went in to short term memory.

Cheers.
Depends on the height you are mounting the camera and how far away you need to be able to I.D. someone from. I'd say either the 3.6mm or 6.0mm though. The 2.8mm is very wide so the subject will need to be quite close to the camera to get a good I.D. on them.

Reaction score
Depends on the height you are mounting the camera and how far away you need to be able to I.D. someone from. I'd say either the 3.6mm or 6.0mm though. The 2.8mm is very wide so the subject will need to be quite close to the camera to get a good I.D. on them.
Thanks a ton, biggen!