Integration with Amazon Rekognition

VinAU

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone had integrated BI with amazon rekognition fot facial recognition and people detection?

I am currently using Sentry but even though it works fine for what it is, it is quite basic and I have little to no control of what it does.

It always takes the first frame which is what triggered the motion. In some cases when a person is entering the frame slower than usual, there isn’t enough there for the person to be detected. For this to be solved I would need to either be able to tell BI how long it should wait to take the frame which will be sent to sentry or the better option would be to send a number of frames say the first 5. That would have to be one per second at least.

Now, all this is in vain if something else enters the frame and then seconds after a person enters the frame. This way we would never get alerted about the possible incident. Say if someone drives into the garage and the headlights hitting the wall trigger BI but there is no human there so no alert. The car then parks and takes stuff, yes it was all recorded but it is not sent as an alert.

In my mind to solve the above I would like to send a new frame for analysis very few seconds (configurable) while the camera is triggered, this way we can keep checking what the status is. I would like to know if there is someone in the frame, an animal or if a car is moving or has moved.

By the looks of it I can do all that well with rekognition. But I need to integrate BI with that. I have been looking at tools that can do this for me but I can’t seem to find a tool that will automate the upload of images to amazon and that will alert me on a criteria I define.

Has anyone attempted this?

Thanks
Vini

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The only other integration I've seen on the forum here is with DeepQuestAI:

VinAU

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, I will see if I can find a way to integrate with Rekognition.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, I will see if I can find a way to integrate with Rekognition.

Use TNTDrive or CloudBerry drive to map an S3 bucket as a windows drive.
Configure JPEG Snapshots to write to this new path at not too aggressive intervals
Configure Rekognition to use said S3 bucket
Security contols:
Use secret access keys on the bucket
Bucket policy Restricts to upload only
Preferably whitelist your address
Configure roles and access to allow Rekognition to access the bucket
Write a lamba script to trigger Rekognotion for each new object upload
Create and configure sns notification topics as required
Alternatively in BI, under triggers you could write a script to call the Rekognition API, upload the payload and take action BI action such as mobile alert.

VinAU

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Use TNTDrive or CloudBerry drive to map an S3 bucket as a windows drive.
Configure JPEG Snapshots to write to this new path at not too aggressive intervals
Configure Rekognition to use said S3 bucket
Security contols:
Use secret access keys on the bucket
Bucket policy Restricts to upload only
Preferably whitelist your address
Configure roles and access to allow Rekognition to access the bucket
Write a lamba script to trigger Rekognotion for each new object upload
Create and configure sns notification topics as required
Alternatively in BI, under triggers you could write a script to call the Rekognition API, upload the payload and take action BI action such as mobile alert.
Thanks for the reply, I have thought about some of the things you suggested already but writing directly to the S3 bucket wasn’t something I had thought about and it is probably the most logical.

Using BI to call a script probably isn’t a good idea because that would only give me the first one frame or the first few which isn’t enough. Sometimes a headlight triggers the camera and then a person enters the frame. In this case BI won’t see the person.

I am thinking configuring BI to save a snapshot every 30 seconds while the camera records and the I will have this analysed by Rekognition.

My idea is to whitelist known people and know cars, if I can get the number plate and assuming Rekognition supports that. So if I am in the frame alone i don’t want to be bettered with alerts but if I am with someone unknown then I get alerts.

At this stage emails are fine.

I have been looking at node red, it is really good and can do all I need but if I can simplify the design and get the same results with less components then I should do so.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I have thought about some of the things you suggested already but writing directly to the S3 bucket wasn’t something I had thought about and it is probably the most logical.

Using BI to call a script probably isn’t a good idea because that would only give me the first one frame or the first few which isn’t enough. Sometimes a headlight triggers the camera and then a person enters the frame. In this case BI won’t see the person.

I am thinking configuring BI to save a snapshot every 30 seconds while the camera records and the I will have this analysed by Rekognition.

My idea is to whitelist known people and know cars, if I can get the number plate and assuming Rekognition supports that. So if I am in the frame alone i don’t want to be bettered with alerts but if I am with someone unknown then I get alerts.

At this stage emails are fine.

I have been looking at node red, it is really good and can do all I need but if I can simplify the design and get the same results with less components then I should do so.
Have you considered the AWS IOT connector Quick Start?
With a low frame rate and 1080p, H.265 wouldn't take much bandwidth. I send a 1080p sub-stream directly to IOT,

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you considered the AWS IOT connector Quick Start?
With a low frame rate and 1080p, H.265 wouldn't take much bandwidth. I send a 1080p sub-stream directly to IOT,
Can you share your config here? When you stream a sub stream to AWS, are you having AWS screen for human activity via rekognition? Also, how many cameras are you currently streaming? I have 12 cameras and I would assume that this would take a lot of upload bandwidth. Also, how are you receiving alerts from AWS?