Intel Driver Availability

DrPain

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently setup a new laptop to run a small BI installation. The laptop has an Intel i7-8550U proc, solid state drive, 16GB of RAM, and an Intel UHD Graphics 620 display adapter. The rig is running nine 4MP cams at 15fps. This puts the CPU near its limits during certain use-cases. I have other older BI installations that are using Intel or nVidia acceleration with great results. However, the new installation is running a bad Intel video driver (23.20.16.4973 2/28/18), resulting in blurred and stuttered recordings. I followed the wiki and several threads indicating success with older drivers, but it appears they are no longer available for download from Intel. Has anyone else managed to get an older known-good driver? Am I just missing something obvious or am I now SOL for Intel acceleration?

DrPain

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Roll Back Driver replaced the device with a generic Microsoft entry. Uninstalling the device and then scanning for new hardware unfortunately put back the exact same original driver. This system is only a few months old and was a fresh build. Maybe there was no other driver available on the system to be used.

I'm still stuck, but appreciate the help.

DrPain

n3wb
Reaction score
Lot’s of views, but not a lot of comments. I hate to say it, but if the only available drivers from Intel don’t work properly with Quick Sync hardware acceleration in BI, then in reality the feature is fairly useless for all new computer purchases. I’m pretty sure BI isn’t the culprit, but they are certainly a victim. It's pretty sad really.

That said, and given prior success with Nvidia Cuda hardware acceleration, it would be nice if the WiKi were updated to reflect which Nvidia cards are known-good. As an example, I have a BIv4 (4.8.6.3 x63) installation running >30 cams averaging ~875 MP/s. The box has an i7-7700K proc and an Nvidia Quadro K1200 (driver 23.21.13.8826) display adapter. Average CPU ~35% and average GPU ~75%. The card has performed extremely well.

Has anyone else had a good experience with a newer Nvidia card? I’d like to replace the rig that caused me to start this thread, but would like to avoid expensive hardware trial-and-error.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lots of people have recently set up new computers with 8th gen Intel processors without the issues you are seeing. You shouldn't be running BI on a laptop. That processor is fairly slow, and likely equivalent to an older generation i5, which is insufficient for your 540MP/s

DrPain

n3wb
Reaction score
We successfully run BI on laptops, workstations, and ESXi installations as VMs. The whole point of Quick Sync hardware acceleration is to offload the processing to the GPU. If you spend any time reading through the forums, which I know you do, you will acknowledge that lot’s of other people ARE having the issues I’m seeing. You might also notice how frustrated they are in trying to make it work. If Nvidia does work (it does), why not have a wiki indicating which cards work well with BI? There’s a wiki for intel drivers, which appears antiquated and currently points to a void. Clearly not helpful. Try to remember, I have no beef with BI, but Intel has made using Quick Sync with BI a crap shoot.

Last edited:

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've got sort of similar issues here. I've got BI installed on an HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF with i7-7700, current Intel driver is 26.20.100.7156, 5 cameras mostly 2 Mp at 15fps. Without hardware acceleration CPU is about 15- 20%, not too bad then in my view, I plan to install another three cameras next year. Globally with Hardware acceleration decode, selecting Intel or Intel+VideoPostProc I get a rewarding reduction in CPU to around 10%, but one or two cameras become intermittently unreachable, so I have to turn hardware acceleration off.

I chose an Intel PC for BI because of Quick Sync and hardware acceleration but might a Ryzen PC with suitable graphics board have been better? Unless I've missed something, I agree this seem less a BI issue, more an Intel driver one.

Edits: the quoted CPU is for B/W as it's dark here, and a typo correction

Last edited:

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
The "U" processors are limited due to power constraints in laptops. While they generally "do fine" for most uses, it looks like the number of cameras you've got is taxing it. As I understand it, throttling applies to the integrated GPU.

That said, the latest Win10 update borked my own iGPU and all hell broke loose with my recordings. It installed the WRONG driver for the PC.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do more studying here. Nvidia cards and their use has been discussed numerous times.
Search is your friend.
In most instances, an NVidia card is not needed and simply waste's money and power.
Laptops are horrible for BI.
Heed the advice here: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk
Stick with a business class Dell Optiplex or Elite or PRo desk from HP and your golden.

DrPain

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m not sure my post was well understood. What difference does the CPU make if the GPU should be the one doing the video processing? In fact, using Nvidia means that you aren’t tied to Intel, which might be a good thing. If the suite of Intel Quick Sync drivers worked properly, this wouldn’t be an issue. On the power utilization topic, I’m not sure there is much difference between the GPU usage. On the boxes where we have hardware acceleration working, task manager reports both Intel Quick Sync GPU and Nvidia GPU power usage as “Very high”, respectively.

Listen, we have over a dozen successful installations of BI running on a mix of hardware solutions depending on the use-case. BI is a great product. But the Intel driver issue is just that, an issue. Depending on availability of a specific 4+ year old driver for it to work properly can be problematic. We like the BI solution so much that it makes sense to spend a little extra and get an Nvidia GPU that makes the installation work rock solid. That said, we can save a little on the CPU choice too. It almost feels like the community is defensive about Intel, which seems a bit silly.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I would try to find the 'original name' of your current video driver that you're having problems with. Then once you have that, I would just google that driver name and look for an earlier version

Last edited:

Dbirkett

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm currently using a NVidia quadro P1000 with blueiris. Couldn't be happier with the experience. Just FYI, NVidia locks the number of concurrent nvdec and nvenc sessions to 2, but quick googling will lead to a workaround for that. Quadro P1000 is a half-height, single slot GPU that is rated to draw at most 47 watts, and I am currently running 1200 mp/s H.264 on a single card. The NVDEC and NVENC chips are the same for almost all the NVidia cards in a given generation, so the video memory is your limiting factor. 4gb memory seems to be about the sweet spot where more dedicated memory on the graphics card no longer produces any benefit. Here is a good comparison of some of the NVidia cards on the market.

DrPain

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm currently using a NVidia quadro P1000 with blueiris. Couldn't be happier with the experience. Just FYI, NVidia locks the number of concurrent nvdec and nvenc sessions to 2, but quick googling will lead to a workaround for that. Quadro P1000 is a half-height, single slot GPU that is rated to draw at most 47 watts, and I am currently running 1200 mp/s H.264 on a single card. The NVDEC and NVENC chips are the same for almost all the NVidia cards in a given generation, so the video memory is your limiting factor. 4gb memory seems to be about the sweet spot where more dedicated memory on the graphics card no longer produces any benefit. Here is a good comparison of some of the NVidia cards on the market.
Thanks for this, very helpful and much appreciated.

zorchy

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome! I had no idea I could unlock the transcode limit on an Nvidia GTX card. Very cool.

Dbirkett

n3wb
Reaction score
Just after experimenting, the NVDEC sessions are not capped. No need to patch driver for BlueIris unless using NVENC for web server, and running more than 2 clients at once.

DrPain

n3wb
Reaction score
Um, so this is strange. I ordered a PC with an NVidia P1000 to replace the laptop that began this thread. It’s a monster and I’m looking forward to getting it deployed. Now I just checked the original laptop and it is NOT exhibiting the smearing/stuttering in recorded video anymore! The only change made was to BI version 5.0.5.8x64, which also required the updated VC_redist.x64 mentioned in other threads. The Intel driver has NOT been changed. I monitor via SNMP and also see that there does not appear to be any memory leak occurring.

I’m still running on average 540 MP/s over 9 cameras, but with Intel HD (working) the average CPU is under 40% with the console closed and no user logged into the laptop. The CPU is less than 50% while using the WebGUI to remotely monitor the site. I also seem to be able to investigate recorded footage without overtaxing the system. This once again makes the current installation viable.

Has anyone else noticed that the video replay issues seem to have automagically resolved without altering the Intel drivers?

DrPain

n3wb
Reaction score
Strike that, after viewing more recorded video, the smearing is sometimes still there. I am still not seeing the stuttering on replay or memory leak issues though. Deployment of the replacement box expected in the next two weeks. Will update with results.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, I spy the elusive 15.45.18.4664 Intel Graphics Driver that the BI Wiki names as delivering QuickSync.:) However, it's in .exe form, not a ZIP file from where the Driver in inf form can be extracted. What searches I've found to overcome HP locking me out of changing my graphics driver give instructions using the inf file.:(

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did get the download from Mega, and later also found too that I could extract the component parts (I've learnt something new here).
I got the message about the igdlh64.inf driver not being digitally signed, whereupon my enthusiasm started to flag, reading about all the dire warnings. On another day I might return to this, as it is my CPU with 5 cameras is 20%, perhaps I might be able to cut that in half if Hardware Acceleration was working here.
Thanks anyway.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No it's not you. I extracted the file from the exe to get to the .inf file following your suggestion. I've an HP Desktop running BI which has things rather locked down. HP want you to use their approved driver.