Intel i5 Dual Core 3200 MHz

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would an Intel i5 Dual Core 3200 MHz processor handle recording 4 IP cams 24/7 to internal hard drive?

A refurbished one is one sale for $184.99.
HP 8100 Elite Intel i5 Dual Core 3200 MHz 320Gig 4096mb DVD-RW Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit Desktop Computer Refurbished

In stock.
Sold and Shipped by US Micro Corp a-seller

• Intel i5 Dual Core 3200 MHz
  • Installed Memory 4096mb DDR3 | Max Memory 16384 DDR3
  • 320Gig Serial ATA
  • Small Form Factor Case Size
  • Condition - Grade A

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With what software? I don't currently run Blue Iris, but I would certainly think could handle 4 cameras, especially recording 24/7. I'm nearly certain I've heard of users recording full time to Blue Iris with less horsepower in the computer. Their direct-to-disk feature should help out as well.

Recording 24/7 is lighter than it is with motion detection. Motion detection requires that the feeds be actively monitored for changes to determine whether or not it's a motion-activated event. When doing a full time record, the rules (and system requirements) change a little bit.

The current load on my server running my preferred VMS software (server CPU is an i3-3220T... nothing outstanding) is 0.10 (less than 1% CPU, 650 MB RAM in use). I'm running full time record with 4 cameras. One is 1 megapixel, three are 3 megapixels. All of them are 10 FPS. My VMS is crazy light. I'd expect others to be a little heavier, but there again, with 24/7 recording the load in general tends to be on the lighter side.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to run an i5 with 4 cameras. Others may have a different opinion, though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Anto
That is a terrible deal, i mean really really bad. Its a first gen i5, that is much weaker (by more than half) than a modern haswell i5-4590. They also use more power which will negate lots of your savings. The computer is also about 6 years old. As mentioned you dont state the software you intend to use or the resolution of the cameras which is important - this doesnt support intel quicksync which is used by blue iris and milestone. Bottom line is this, you can buy a i5-4590 system for 300. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-SFF-Intel-Core-i5-4590-3-3GHz-2GB-80GB-Win-7-Pro-1-Yr-Wty-/401065354234?hash=item5d615ba3fa:g:z1AAAOSw5dNWsWXI

Even this i3 is significantly better that that old i5..http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-4th-Gen-i3-4160-3-6-GHz-4-GB-DDR3-500-GB-HDD-Win-8-1-Pro-/311523791566?hash=item488843d2ce:g:KN4AAOSwHaBWlAn0
If you spend more time looking you can get the i5-4590 with the hp 3 year next business day warranty for 300.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman - good catch. I admittedly took "i5" for face value (little distracted by the youngsters this morning).

So to clarify, a modern i5, should be good.
This i5... pass.

P.S. - If you're concerned about particular processors, I often find myself googling "this processor" vs "that processor" to dig up CPU-Boss and CPU-World links to get some greater insight. It's what I use to compare my current processor (i3 3220T) vs newer i3's to justify whether or not it's a justifiable upgrade. In your situation, that procedure would yield beneficial as you could take the processor in the post and compare it versus a newer i5 available on a site like NewEgg, Amazon, etc.

To use fenderman's name-drop of the i5 4590 as an example:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/378/Intel_Core_i5_i5-4590_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-650.html

4590-vs-650.png

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@jasauders One downside of those type of sites is that they takes specs at face value. For example, that note the i5-650 as having lower power consumption because of its lower TDP which is simply not the case. It will use more power because the load will be higher for a particular task.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Certainly. It's like comparing the lower mileage of a diesel truck and the higher mileage of a mini van and assuming the mini van's mileage would still yield better results when towing a heavier trailer. The mini van would have to work harder, closer to its capacity in order to make that happen, while the diesel truck would hardly be breaking a sweat, and thus, use less overall fuel.

I always looked at those sites under the assumption that their specs, including TDP, etc., is a simple baseline. Intel's Ark site for both processors yields identical information, so nothing is assumed from CPU-World's part, though it does take some greater consideration from the end user to identify the deeper meaning behind these specs, such as the TDP nuance you mentioned.