Intel i7 4th Generation Questions

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am actively checking Dell Outlet to try and find an Optiplex machine with an i7 chip. My intention is to run BI, but I am in no rush so I am waiting for the next coupon so I can save some money.

The descriptions for the various machines have me confused and I want to make sure I don't make a silly mistake. The Processor description for the Optiplex 9020s have:
Processor: Intel Core 4th Generation i7-4790 Processor (Quad Core, 3.6GHz, 8MB Cache, w/HD Graphics 4600)
The processor description for the Optiplex 7020s have:
Processor: Intel Core 4th Generation i7-4790 processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
1) In reading up on the HD Graphics 4600, it is definitely something I want. Is it a safe assumption that since they are both i7-4790s that they will both have the HD Graphics 4600 feature or is it an option that only some i7-4790 have?

I also notice that some but not all 7020s and all 9020 i7-4770, but none of the 9020 i7-4790s have the following text:
Intel Integrated Graphics
2) Is this the same thing as the HD Graphics 4600?

3) Finally - are either the HD Graphics 4600 or the Intel Integrated Graphics the same as Intel Quick Sync? If not, how do I make sure I get a chip that has Quick Sync?

Thanks a lot.

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am watching these also and currently see XPS and Alienware desktops wit I7 processors. Are these worth considering? Or is there something special about OptiPlex?

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am watching these also and currently see XPS and Alienware desktops wit I7 processors. Are these worth considering? Or is there something special about OptiPlex?
I am looking at XPS desktops myself. I started with Optiplex, but soon branched out to other platforms as well. This thread just references the Optiplex units because I noticed the discrepancy there first.

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right now I see Dell Outlet XPS 8900 with
•Intel Core 6th Generation i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
•Windows 10 Home 64bit English
•1 TB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
•8GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz
•16X DVD + RW Drive
•NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2GB DDR3
$749 less 30% with a coupon XPS890093503

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to make sure you can remove the nvidia card and use on board graphics.

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right now I see Dell Outlet XPS 8900 with
•Intel Core 6th Generation i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
•Windows 10 Home 64bit English
•1 TB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
•8GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz
•16X DVD + RW Drive
•NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2GB DDR3
$749 less 30% with a coupon XPS890093503
Yup - Looking at them too. I would probably go with Win 10 Pro rather than home.

I have not seen Coupons for the Optiplex systems yet - just missed the last one, but I think we can get an i5 4th gen for ~$350 with taxes and shipping. I think we can get an i7 4th gen for ~ $450 with taxes and shipping. The i7 6th gen is going to cost ~$600 with taxes and shipping.

PS - I am seriously looking at this ebay auction for an i7 4th gen. I think the weak Canadian dollar is helping us in this situation. The warranty is through the seller and not through Dell.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fenderman, why is that? I'm still struggling with an i5 machine with high CPU usage numbers and recently installed an nVidia PCIe card to see if that would make a difference.

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to make sure you can remove the nvidia card and use on board graphics.
Thanks for chiming in. Any suggestion for where to get this information? I chatted with Dell support and they told me that we couldn't add a new HD to the XPS8900 machine. Obviously they are wrong since their own manual shows us how to do it. I guess my point is that I don't trust Dell support. Any idea where else I can figure this out?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in. Any suggestion for where to get this information? I chatted with Dell support and they told me that we couldn't add a new HD to the XPS8900 machine. Obviously they are wrong since their own manual shows us how to do it. I guess my point is that I don't trust Dell support. Any idea where else I can figure this out?
No idea, first and foremost, look for an image of the rear of the unit and see if there is an hdmi out on the mother board. One nice thing about the optiplex 7020/9020 or the new 5040/7040 is a dual displayport out.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman, why is that? I'm still struggling with an i5 machine with high CPU usage numbers and recently installed an nVidia PCIe card to see if that would make a difference.
Because blue iris added hardware acceleration that is specific to intel HD quick-sync and improves performance considerably.

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check at http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8900-desktop/pd -see the third image with 360 view, looks like he nVidia card is a PCIe addon
Yes - the back has a dedicated HDMI port and also a more generic Display Port. It seems that onboard graphics may work, but only if you remove the add-on card. I can't find any one who has specifically done this to confirm.

- - - Updated - - -

Because blue iris added hardware acceleration that is specific to intel HD quick-sync and improves performance considerably.
Yes - this is the whole reason I am looking at i5 and i7 4th gen or later CPUs.

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No. One thing I have noticed is that the CPU usage does decrease (as much as from 95% down to 60%) if I minimize the BI display on the desktop of the PC it runs on. Normally I leave it maximized since I extend the display via HDMI-over-Cat5e extenders to two TVs for monitoring.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No. One thing I have noticed is that the CPU usage does decrease (as much as from 95% down to 60%) if I minimize the BI display on the desktop of the PC it runs on. Normally I leave it maximized since I extend the display via HDMI-over-Cat5e extenders to two TVs for monitoring.
remove the card. enable hardware acceleration as per the release notes.
How many cameras and what res are they running. What is your processor model?