Intel NUC5i7RYH for residential use

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello friends,

Been reading about this NUC in here, but not sure yet.
Ihave this NUC with i7-5557u and 8gb, SSD in there as well, so nothing to buy.
I currently have only one 2mp Dahua camera and Blueiris works just fine on trial.
But, 3 more cameras on the way, and trial about to end. So I'm wondering, will thia NUC suffice for 4 2MP cameras?
I can't find cheap hardware here in Israel so its either this or buying Dahua NVR

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't see any performance results for that model CPU on the stat database here:
Blue Iris Update Helper

From reading previous threads, NUC performance seems to be hit or miss.

What FPS and bit rate do you currently have your one camera set to? I'm wondering if there's an opportunity to bump it up to try and simulate the load of four cameras. For example, I usually run my 2MP Starlights at 15FPS and VBR (which results in BI seeing about 900kbps). I wonder (if I just had one camera and wanted to simulate the load of four) if setting the one camera to 50 FPS and a constant bit rate of 3200 would be about the same load?

Also FWIW, I think the Direct to disc feature (which can really lower processor usage) doesn't work in the trial version, so whatever you're seeing now may be better when registered.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

Been reading about this NUC in here, but not sure yet.
Ihave this NUC with i7-5557u and 8gb, SSD in there as well, so nothing to buy.
I currently have only one 2mp Dahua camera and Blueiris works just fine on trial.
But, 3 more cameras on the way, and trial about to end. So I'm wondering, will thia NUC suffice for 4 2MP cameras?
I can't find cheap hardware here in Israel so its either this or buying Dahua NVR
While there are much better options than the nuc, you can easily run 4 2mp cams at 15fps with room to space on that unit. follow the directions on optimizing blue iris in the wiki and setup direct to disk as noted by aristobrat

roaoro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If physical space is an issue, the NUC is a good choice and will run a few cameras easy enough with the right configuration as fenderman advised. I went this route for a couple of customers, only to find that I could build a faster desktop for less $$$, and with way more options. You will be fairly limited on upgrades with the NUC vs. a good desktop.

Scoobs72

n3wb
Reaction score
I run a NUC5PPYH for 5 x 2mp cams, each at 10FPS. The NUC has a Pentium N3700 (supports Quicksync) and runs at around 30% CPU when correctly optisimised according to the Wiki. 24x7 recording are made to a USB connected WD purple. So it works fine for these relatively modest requirements. I wouldn't be able to run the cams at a much higher FPS rate, nor would I be able to use higher mp cams. Generally I like the NUC concept, but if I hadn't already had the NUC spare I probably would have purchased a used desktop from Ebay.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While there are much better options than the nuc, you can easily run 4 2mp cams at 15fps with room to space on that unit. follow the directions on optimizing blue iris in the wiki and setup direct to disk as noted by aristobrat
Thanks, I understand that. I've read uour previous replies and I get it, but since I already have the hardware at no cost its easier for me.

If physical space is an issue, the NUC is a good choice and will run a few cameras easy enough with the right configuration as fenderman advised. I went this route for a couple of customers, only to find that I could build a faster desktop for less $$$, and with way more options. You will be fairly limited on upgrades with the NUC vs. a good desktop.
Ofcourse, and i get it. But since the NUC already exist and not that easy to sell it.
For me now, ita super cost efficient if it will work nicely and this is what I vame to check with you guys.