Interested in replacing hodgepodge of cameras at house with one "system"

Reaction score
Hello,

Currently at my house we have an Intel NUC and I do have a copy of Blue Iris, I just havent been using it. I also have a Synology but the camera licenses are expensive for that...

So right now at my house I have a :
Logitech Alert setup outside above the front door
Logitech Alert setup inside aimed at patio door (rear of house)
Axis 1080p POE network camera. Not currently connected. Got it for free (its like a $1200 camera too lol)
Foscam 9821 v2 setup in garage aiming at doors
Foscam 9821 v2 setup in foyer aimed at living room window/front door. This was installed prior to the outside came and can be relocated.
Foscam 9821 v2 setup in basement aimed at basement doors.

I would like to add 2-3 additional outside camera's while keeping the internal count the same, but replacing them. Ive never had good luck with them, and even now I cant login to my cameras from my phone... only the Logitech work flawlessly and the Foscam in the basement.

Its my understanding that the Logitech's' are pulling in a decent amount of money, but I'll probably transfer them to our cabin in WV for my father to use, they're much easier to monitor then the Foscam's.

Reaction score
Bumping this up.

We just had a camera go off outside because someone was walking around our house. Not sure who it was but he did stare right at the camera above our front door. He did walk all the way around our property so now Im interested in installing more exterior cameras around the perimeter when we get our tax return.

I should mention I have a POE switch in my basement and can easily run cat cabling through the house.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Afternoon @Charles Bridgers

First you need to decide do you want to go the standalone NVR route with the cameras recording back to that or do you want to go the PC/VMS route using something like Blue Iris?

If you are overhauling the system and can install a match set - cameras/nvr that is my recomendation. However, that is just me. This setup gives "most" home users exactly what they want. Motion recording or 24/7, email/event notifications, email notifications with snap shots, remote access, etc.

The other option if you want to have a mixture of camera brands and still have the ability to use motion detection, email notifications, and custom rules you can look at a PC running something like Blue Iris.

I personally like the reliability and quality as well as affordable price point of the HIK products. Here is a link to a review I did of private label HIK hardware that is US sold and supported and carries a great warranty from a company with great tech support. I have access to this hardware via my company, however if you want to purchase it directly check out the forum from @milkisbad and he will be able to assist you most likely.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5681-HIKVision-amp-LTS-3-amp-4mp-Camera-review-example?highlight=LTS+3mp+4mp

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/257-Good-source-to-buy-IP-items-at

Reaction score
I do already own Blue Iris, and I have an Intel NUC running as a MTPC. On the other spectrum, the Synology runs 24/7, but the camera licenses are pricey.

Im not saying no to a NVR system, but I feel that might be one more piece of tech that will be running and I'll need to keep an eye on?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I do already own Blue Iris, and I have an Intel NUC running as a MTPC. On the other spectrum, the Synology runs 24/7, but the camera licenses are pricey.

Im not saying no to a NVR system, but I feel that might be one more piece of tech that will be running and I'll need to keep an eye on?
Use blue iris, its far superior to any standalone nvr. Sell the logitechs to the suckers willing to overpay for them and buy replacement hikvisions...

Reaction score
For our outside setup.
Front door
Rear basement door
Rear patio door
Above garage doors (2)
Corner of front of house
Inside Front door/ foyer
Inside Kitchen door/ kitchen & family room
Inside basement door

Can someone recommend which camera's to use where?