Interesting new setup ideas required.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I've been away from the forum for around 18 months now.

My current home setup is still doing good minus blue iris being a pain, but now I'm back and wondering what's changed in the 18 months since the 2mp starlights were the go to cameras.

I have a new setup I need to put together so I'm asking for opinions as I'm a tad rusty

@EMPIRETECANDY your input is also welcome as well as I'll be purchasing as usual from yourself

So this setup brief.

I have a static caravan holiday home that I need to keep a monitoring eye on for gas bottle thieves and general unscrupulous behaviour.

Lighting: almost zero
Mounting height: approx 3m ish

Requirements.
A must is great low light performance but also daylight performance.
Also needs to have reliable SD card recording as backup.
Monitoring has to be done remotely.
Sound is an advantage.
Internet uplink is great from location as I'm using starlink satellite at the caravan.
One of the most important parts of this project is it needs to have good realtime monitoring from my mobile device.

So for this particular use case I am hoping to maybe stay away from blue iris and maybe go with something that's fully incorporated with Dahua cameras themselves.
It has to be set up as a setup and forget for the main part.

I'm not really interested in PTZ cameras or anything of the like for this project.

It's a bang for buck scenario but I have not specifically set a budget as the most important things here are what I've put above.
The reason for this is it's away from home so i cant just pop over at the drop of a hat. so this has to be reliable and integrated

ANY opinions welcome

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Better start calculating the lens sizes are do you do the 5442 variant with VF lense

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Motorized 2.7-12mm lens, the fixed lens 2,8mm, 3.6mm, 6mm lens view and angle is limited, the motorized len can cover all angle from 2.7-12mm lens.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If budget isn't an issue, then spend the little more to get the varifocal.

Lots of posts here where we think we wanted 6mm and over time we end up max zooming at some point, or if not, when we get a new camera, the varifocal can be relocated somewhere else.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
No mention of 2 way audio? I think that's a first. :rofl:

T5442T-ZE varifocals, an NVR, and some IR illuminators if you need them for supplemental light and I think you're set.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
oh yes I k ow the benefits of using a verifocal where lenses size is difficult to calculate
I already have 3 of the 2mp starlights ones at home. I just didn't see they were available to start with.

So in terms of cameras I think it will be 2 possible 3 of those.

No onto the next point. Recording solutions.

I've never had great experience with nvrs in general had hikvision and dahua ones but found them very misleading and limited. So always used a pc based system.

For this use case I 100% do not want a pc based NVR I need something fully dedicated to the task.

There's not really going to be much in the way of future expansion either

This just needs to be as much set and forget as possible and be able to view remotely when required.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know it won't sway you LOL, but still going to toss it out there LOL.

The general concept/firmware and use of Dahua and Hikvision probably haven't changed much since you used it.

If your PC based NVR were based on the software of Dahua/Hikvision, then yes those are a struggle.

You can make any system a set it and forget it if you choose. It is just to many of us this is a hobby and we are always tinkering.

But something like Blue Iris you can do set it and forget it system like one can an NVR.

A Blue Iris/PC can be a very reliable system and the computer (aka) isn't much bigger than an NVR. Turn off Windows and BI auto updates and have the computer autostart on a shutdown and run BI as a service and you have a more powerful NVR.

BI allows for anonymous update of performance data. People have had it running nonstop for over 1900 days, or 5+ years... And I suspect that the last time it rebooted was when they manually did it...I was an NVR user before I made the switch and I never had an NVR last 5 years LOL

1686329871081.png

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know it won't sway you LOL, but still going to toss it out there LOL.

The general concept/firmware and use of Dahua and Hikvision probably haven't changed much since you used it.

If your PC based NVR were based on the software of Dahua/Hikvision, then yes those are a struggle.

You can make any system a set it and forget it if you choose. It is just to many of us this is a hobby and we are always tinkering.

But something like Blue Iris you can do set it and forget it system like one can an NVR.

A Blue Iris/PC can be a very reliable system and the computer (aka) isn't much bigger than an NVR. Turn off Windows and BI auto updates and have the computer autostart on a shutdown and run BI as a service and you have a more powerful NVR.

BI allows for anonymous update of performance data. People have had it running nonstop for over 1900 days, or 5+ years... And I suspect that the last time it rebooted was when they manually did it...I was an NVR user before I made the switch and I never had an NVR last 5 years LOL

1686329871081.png
It was blue iris that's used on my PC based NVR for my home system

I like the software although I wasn't very impressed with the way they just switched my account off and reverted back to trial status after it was paid.

But that's not a matter for this conversation.

The problem I have with PC based NVR for this situation is we all know Pc's can and do sometimes restart etc due to heat and many factors.
Even turning the automatic updates off you so still get the odd restarts for random reasons.
With that being said because the location is remote and not around the corner. If thus does happen it's a problem because I can't just pop round the corner and deal with it.

At home I can.

I'm not against PC based NVR in general as like I say I use blue iris at home.

I'm just not so sure it's the very best choice for this situation

But I am open to be swayed on that

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It was blue iris that's used on my PC based NVR for my home system

I like the software although I wasn't very impressed with the way they just switched my account off and reverted back to trial status after it was paid.

But that's not a matter for this conversation.

The problem I have with PC based NVR for this situation is we all know Pc's can and do sometimes restart etc due to heat and many factors.
Even turning the automatic updates off you so still get the odd restarts for random reasons.
With that being said because the location is remote and not around the corner. If thus does happen it's a problem because I can't just pop round the corner and deal with it.

At home I can.

I'm not against PC based NVR in general as like I say I use blue iris at home.

I'm just not so sure it's the very best choice for this situation

But I am open to be swayed on that
Your blue iris "account" was not switched off. You updated to a version you didnt pay for. Reverting back would get you out of trial mode.
If your pc restarts because of heat you have a big problem. There should be no random restarts. Even if there was why do you need to "deal with it". It simply restarts and if you are running blue iris as a service will restart itself. Believe it or not NVR's also sometimes reboot themselves.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your blue iris "account" was not switched off. You updated to a version you didnt pay for. Reverting back would get you out of trial mode.
If your pc restarts because of heat you have a big problem. There should be no random restarts. Even if there was why do you need to "deal with it". It simply restarts and if you are running blue iris as a service will restart itself. Believe it or not NVR's also sometimes reboot themselves.
Weirdly blue iris wasn't updated it was the same version that was always on there.

I'm not sure how or why it happened.

At home in using an elitedesk pc for the NVR
I can't complain with the system it's served me well.

I've no objection to going that way again. I just need to make sure it's reliable in terms of stability.

Not forgetting because of its location it's going to be placed inside a static caravan which can be subject to high heat in the summer months.

This is my big worry.

I don't generally like branded dedicate Nvrs but just wondered if it would suit the brief better

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Weirdly blue iris wasn't updated it was the same version that was always on there.

I'm not sure how or why it happened.

At home in using an elitedesk pc for the NVR
I can't complain with the system it's served me well.

I've no objection to going that way again. I just need to make sure it's reliable in terms of stability.

Not forgetting because of its location it's going to be placed inside a static caravan which can be subject to high heat in the summer months.

This is my big worry.

I don't generally like branded dedicate Nvrs but just wondered if it would suit the brief better
It happens if you use the same license key on another system.
I suggest you install the NVR. This is a MUST. This way when you rip it out and go back to BI you will know your tried your best.
Why do you think the NVR will deal with heat better than a pc? With a pc you can easily add cooling.