Interesting SOHO router issue?

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a small SOHO network that I use to run some misc cams, Blue Iris Server/Plex Server machine, couple machines and typical home IP stuffs (Roku/Chromecast, network printers... It's just a cheap Netgear WNR3500, but it's been faithful/functional I suppose.

Lately, I find I intermittently lose outside connection to the network. While troubleshooting, I notice all the ports are suddenly blocked, running true stealth, lol.. I run a port scan from different machines on the network and they are blocked as well. I guess that limits the likelihood of a software firewall issue.

It seems to sometimes fix itself. Not often though. Only thing that fixes it immediately is a reboot of the router. I could reboot everything and no joy, Just reboot the router, fixed. For ohhh, 30 minutes to a few hours.

Soooo... Basically it seems to me, that the router is losing its port forwarding ability. Sound right?

I can't recall seeing a router fail in this way, usually just catastrophic failure. Assuming my troubleshooting skills are correct and it is the router. Debating wiping the router. But, I should just replace it with a newer AC router if I'm going to bother reprogramming the old one.

Before I chuck it, your thoughts, ridicule, and assistance are welcome. Thanks!

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I was wanting to do that with DD-WRT but my chipset was on the NO list :( (two versions of this router and mine of course is the V1 that isn't compatible)

I'll have to see about tomato. It has the WNR3500L V1 mine is just a 3500, not an 3500L tho.... Hmm...

Sound like it's some form of a router failure to you? (Firmware corrupted etc) Odd it works fine one minute and not the next, lol... Been fine a couple hrs now... lol.. Til I leave! ;)

Thanks for the thought!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Lets clarify, your only problem is WAN to LAN port forwarding, yes? As in, your local connections remain working but incoming connections from outside your LAN do not work?

If local connections are failing too, then the router is not likely to be the culprit. If the only connection problem is that devices outside your LAN (e.g. a cell phone on 4G) can't access services inside your LAN, then it is likely the router's fault and it is possible that a firmware update would fix it. Netgear themselves may have an official firmware update.

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking again closer, seems they have the "Netgear WNR3500 v2/U" And not V1... Probably the same situation as the DD-WRT, not compatible with the chipset in V1. Oh well it was a noble effort. lol...

Now to decide whether to buy another consumer unit or an older Cisco, I'm hip to programming them. I probably need a managed switch more than the better router, consumer AC is probably fine.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't mind running the wifi separately from the router, and feel like you know a thing or two about networking, you might consider an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite or EdgeRouter X. The price versus performance is basically unparalleled with these. EdgeRouter Lite is the faster (and slightly more expensive) option, but doesn't have a built-in switch like most SOHO routers do. I've been thinking of getting one myself, but I really don't need it because my Asus RT-AC68U running Shibby's Tomato is almost certainly easier to configure for what I need, and it does a fantastic job.

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lets clarify, your only problem is WAN to LAN port forwarding, yes? As in, your local connections remain working but incoming connections from outside your LAN do not work?

̶I̶f̶ ̶l̶o̶c̶a̶l̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶i̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶o̶u̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶u̶l̶p̶r̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶ If the only connection problem is that devices outside your LAN (e.g. a cell phone on 4G) can't access services inside your LAN, then it is likely the router's fault and it is possible that a firmware update would fix it. Netgear themselves may have an official firmware update.
Correct. WAN to LAN port forwarding appear to be the issue.

I can try Blue Iris Android app or any other app that requires access to the network (IP Cam Viewer, PLEX etc) on 4g cell and it's a no go. Switch to the local network's WiFi, it all works fine.

And if I do a "Shields Up" port scan when it's not working I see that no ports are open. I reboot JUST the router, and do a "Shields Up" scan, and they are shown as open and everything works fine, for a while.... then the ports eventually close. lol...

This setup has worked well for a couple years. Just out of no where it started. No changes or additions other than upgrading Blue Iris App and Server software. But it's nothing to do Blue iris, Any other app needing network access from outside the LAN is broke as well when this happens.

So yes... Internal to my network, all is perfect. Seems to be essentially and intermittent port forwarding issue. I think,.....

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, definitely sounds like a router problem then. If you have the patience, see if Netgear has an official firmware update, otherwise, I'd suggest a new router.

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you don't mind running the wifi separately from the router, and feel like you know a thing or two about networking, you might consider an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite or EdgeRouter X. The price versus performance is basically unparalleled with these. EdgeRouter Lite is the faster (and slightly more expensive) option, but doesn't have a built-in switch like most SOHO routers do. I've been thinking of getting one myself, but I really don't need it because my Asus RT-AC68U running Shibby's Tomato is almost certainly easier to configure for what I need, and it does a fantastic job.
I'll look at that. I remember checking them out a bit ago as I'd seen reference to the Ubiquiti Edge here previously, as well as their POE switch.

I have a fair grip on basic networking, was taking CCNA/Wireless networking classes. Enough to get in trouble I'm sure :)

Yeah, I'd probably prefer a standalone WAP. Just a matter of deciding to toss the cash at that. Rather buy a camera or a rifle of course haha.. But, probably time to do the network a bit better.

Thanks for the input!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Been wanting two Unifi AC Lite myself, but supply is very low right now and the few places that have them in stock have inflated the price beyond the $90 or so that it is supposed to be for each access point.

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looked over the logs. Nothing that stood out. Had a smurf attack earlier for a moment...

No, UPnP has been disabled

Updated the firmware with the same version just for kicks. Waiting for it to cough. We'll see. No biggie, it was a cheap router. Time to get a decent unit. I'm mostly curious as it's just good to know "why", someday i may need to help someone else with this issue. Of course if I fixed it, well, that's just fine as well.