interface lagging after updating to 5.5.3.4

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just paid to renew my subscription and updated to the latest version. Things seems to be working and browser view is fine but when I use the BI interface itself it is extremely lagging. Has there been a change somewhere that I need to update in the settings?

I'm on an I7-6700 with 32gb ram Windows 10 with all current update.

CPU usage is 40% Memory 30%

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what new change would have done it.

One thing to check is the Blue Iris Settings > Other tab. Make sure Scaling is set to "Fast".

Another thing, Blue Iris Settings > Cameras tab. Make sure "Limit live preview rate" is either disabled or set to a high fps (like 15 or higher).

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All that's are checked as suggested. It's not even the live view that is the issue, the whole BI navigation is laggy. Even in settings, to jump from one tab to another takes a few seconds and doesn't seem like it does anything when you click on it but eventually it'll go to the tab you click.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you accessing the BI interface remotely or via local mouse/keyboard/monitor?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a few situations I can think of that have made the BI interface laggy for me. None are likely to apply to you.

1. Remotely accessing the PC while large amounts of screen is video playing in the Blue Iris window (there's a pause button in the upper right corner of the live video player area to help with this).
2. Camera having network difficulty or the stream simply not being loaded yet. Some of the camera properties panel stuff is coupled to the video processing pipeline and will perform badly if the video playback is not in a steady state.
3. Overloading the Intel hardware acceleration. This hasn't happened to me in a long time, but it made the mouse lag.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Try using the pause button in the upper right corner of the live video player, see if that makes menus respond properly, and note the effect on CPU usage. Could be that your video playback is super inefficient for some other reason. Perhaps a buggy graphics driver where the bug did not affect older BI releases.

You must click and hold a couple seconds for the pause button to work (prevents accidental pausing which used to confuse a lot of people).

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just left the house but will test all of it when I get back.

What's annoying is I went through the automatic upgrade path through the interface from 5.3 to the current version and the recommended steps nothing should change and seems to remain the same. Don't understand why it would have this affect. I might purge the system and reinstall from scratch if all else fail.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
went ahead and delete all the registry and reinstall. First run with nothing interface is nice and smooth. Right after I import my settings things are lagging again.

Even with I paused the system it is lagging. :(

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like a setting in your import is bugging it up.

Try turning off Hardware Acceleration. And have you done every optimization in the wiki above? Substreams are a must with newer cameras.

If hardware acceleration turned off and using substreams doesn't work then kind of a pain, but probably best to recreate from scratch.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
as crazy as this may sound, turning off HW acceleration fixed the issue and now I turned it back on and still working fine. Very weird.

Going to do some more poking at this. I've done the optimization long ago.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many have found that the latest versions of HW causes issues for some, so if it acts up again, then turn it off. With the substreams option now, HW is not as critical as it was before.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I gotta find some documents on the substeams option. Updated mainly for deepstack but it looks like I'll have to figure out some new features along with it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Post a screenshot of your BI camera status page that shows FPS/bitrate/KEY, etc.

Something doesn't seem right as you should have seen a drop unless your machine is such a screamer or so few cameras that CPU was sub 5% to begin with lol.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not that this is the issue, but some of your clones are not clones as there should be no bitrates in the clone cameras (or maybe they are mislabled). Make sure to make one camera the clone master and then make sure that box is unchecked for the clone.

What is the MP/s value on that page and what is your CPU usage.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
To use sub streams, "direct to disc" recording must be enabled for the camera.

Some of your cams have higher sub stream bit rate than main stream bit rate which means your configuration could use some work. The keyframe interval on a lot of the cameras is also rather slow, and your frame rates are not matching between sub and main stream. All things to think about if you have trouble with stream smoothness or bad quality video, although I would expect none of those issues to cause enabling sub streams to be ineffective at reducing CPU usage.

I suspect H.264+/H.265+/smart codec may be in use in some of those cams based on the keyframe intervals. Blue Iris is not properly compatible with that encoding option.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can no longer right click show hidden+disabled cameras. How is it done now?