Intermittent Camera Drop Outs

JacobBrooks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 3 cameras connected in my system. 2 of them are IPC-T5442TM-AS and 1 of them is SD1A203T-GN, all from Andy.

I have having trouble with the SD1A203T-GN and intermittent drop-outs in Blue Iris. I receive the error "8000274c" and within a few seconds, the camera reconnects. Today alone it had 700+ drop outs.

I switched one of the IPC-T5442TM-AS with the SD1A203T-GN to determine if it was an issue with the Cat6 cable, and I can verify that it does follow the camera. In other words--not an issue with the cable.

I've also rebooted Blue Iris, updated to the latest version, and even switched the POE port on the hub. But it remains only an issue with the SD1A203T-GN.

I can also verify that when Blue Iris drops the camera, that I cannot connect to it via a browser window.

That being said, what are some other things that I should try?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 3 cameras connected in my system. 2 of them are IPC-T5442TM-AS and 1 of them is SD1A203T-GN, all from Andy.

I have having trouble with the SD1A203T-GN and intermittent drop-outs in Blue Iris. I receive the error "8000274c" and within a few seconds, the camera reconnects. Today alone it had 700+ drop outs.

I switched one of the IPC-T5442TM-AS with the SD1A203T-GN to determine if it was an issue with the Cat6 cable, and I can verify that it does follow the camera. In other words--not an issue with the cable.

I've also rebooted Blue Iris, updated to the latest version, and even switched the POE port on the hub. But it remains only an issue with the SD1A203T-GN.

I can also verify that when Blue Iris drops the camera, that I cannot connect to it via a browser window.

That being said, what are some other things that I should try?
some cameras could be more sensitive to poor connection. To truly confirm that its the camera or camera settings, test with a short store bought cable

JacobBrooks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They are both 100 feet lengths of patch cable that I bought pre-made. But I will try the suggestion of seeing if the shorter cable fixes the issue with the intermittent camera.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
For that sort of length I’d consider putting in some proper solid copper cabling, have no experience of stranded patch cabling and how it performs in long lengths.

JacobBrooks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry, I need some help. What do you mean by solid copper cabling?

For that sort of length I’d consider putting in some proper solid copper cabling, have no experience of stranded patch cabling and how it performs in long lengths.

JacobBrooks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh, I see now, thanks. I missed that. I read about the importance of not choosing a cable with CCA conductors but didn't note the difference between stranded and solid copper.

JacobBrooks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On a related note, are there recommended "hangers" that I should be using when I run these through my attic? I don't want to lay them directly on the joists for fear of damage, so I'd like to attach them a little elevated up on the trusses. Is it OK to use coax cable clamps, like these?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Does using a shorter cable fix the issue? You need to ascertain that first else runningnew cable might be a waste of time.

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Quick question - are your cameras directly opened up (port forwarded) to the internet? I noticed a dramatic improvement in the stability of my cameras after disabling the port forwarding to them, and just relying on the BI web server for viewing. I believe there are port scanners that look for vulnerabilities and hammer the camera logins, resulting in crashing and reboots. Just a thought anyway.

JacobBrooks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. What I found that it was camera and cable dependent. The camera in question worked fined on a shorter, store-made patch cable. And the other cameras worked fine on the longer, 100 foot cable. So it was something specific about the SD1A203T-GN not liking the 100 foot patch cable.

In the meantime, I went out and bought a giant roll of Cat6, 23 gauge, solid copper. I've been making all of the rest of the cables myself and using a tester to verify.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Might be worth installing another POE switch closer to the cams, would be worth doing if you have a couple of cams that would benefit. This way you could make a single run to the new POE switch and then make shorter runs to the cams from there?

When uplinking from 1 switch to the new you just need to use a standard port ie it doesn’t have to be a POE port.