Intermittent "Smearing" on Dahua Cam

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just trying to troubleshoot this issue. I get a "smearing" effect that happens every 10 seconds or so on moving objects. It does this in both the UI3 interface and the actual Blue Iris desktop app.
I read through the Common Problems post but couldn't really see anything quite like this.

Plenty of CPU power (uses like 10%), space and RAM.

What do you think is happening?

1594914325830.png

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
First thing I would change is the iFrame to match the fps.

Whenever I've had this type if issue, for me it's always been the Intel video drivers, my system seems really sensitive so I have a particular version that I've found that works for me but all of this does somewhat depend on the processor you have.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it happen in live view or only in recordings? Historically this issue was often caused when the camera sent more frames than Blue Iris had allocated buffer space for, so frames got dropped when writing recordings but live view would typically be fine. Shortening the i-frame interval helped because it made the stream reset itself more often so the dropped frames had less of an effect. Anyway go to Blue Iris's camera settings panel and try putting 16 fps in the "max rate" box.

You've already got Smart Codec and SVC disabled and I don't see anything else wrong. It is possible that a slow network could cause issues like this too, but if you've got everything wired between the camera and Blue Iris then that is very unlikely to be the problem.

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
First thing I would change is the iFrame to match the fps.

Whenever I've had this type if issue, for me it's always been the Intel video drivers
Changed the I Frames, but need to wait for someone to come past to test. I did the locking of updating of the Intel drivers as the Wiki suggested ages ago before this issue happened. Though I'll check to see if anything changed. Thank you.

Does it happen in live view or only in recordings? Historically this issue was often caused when the camera sent more frames than Blue Iris had allocated buffer space for, so frames got dropped when writing recordings but live view would typically be fine. Shortening the i-frame interval helped because it made the stream reset itself more often so the dropped frames had less of an effect. Anyway go to Blue Iris's camera settings panel and try putting 16 fps in the "max rate" box.
It happens in both live view and recordings (I'll double check tomorrow but I seem to remember it happening live too). Will try the 16fps fix. Thank you.

Will report back!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Does it do this on the camera live view itself? Not from BI but log into the camera and see if it happens there. Have you tried H.264 or H.265?

Tdub2

n3wb
Reaction score
I am having a very similar issue. My camera pictures look perfect after a restart and over the course of several minutes, the picture degrades with blurring occurring in areas without motion. My exposed aggregate drive appears to be constantly moving. I found (defies logic) that setting the iFrame value to 90-150 greatly improves the issue. I have four various Dahua cameras and I have the same issue on each camera. I was intending to start a new thread discussing.

I doubt it is related to my Windows drivers as I see the same issues on my iPad. Will gather some pics tomorrow and post with settings.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I am having a very similar issue. My camera pictures look perfect after a restart and over the course of several minutes, the picture degrades with blurring occurring in areas without motion.
This sounds like an issue I had with an earlier 4K Dahua, and while it helped to max out the bit rate/quality settings, the real fix was a firmware update. It only took a couple of i-frame intervals for the quality to go to heck.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Now, I'll have to experiment. I updated the firmware when Andy released the latest but configured with the same frame and bit rates.

Tdub2

n3wb
Reaction score
I meant I upgraded the firmware to the latest already. Problem exists with this version.

Tdub2

n3wb
Reaction score
I apologize for hijacking this thread. Will create a new post tomorrow with better details.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, I ran a quick experiment this AM and still get degradation if I switch to VBR on the main stream. The video sort of pulses as it keeps rebuilding itself. I'm leaving it at CBR, 6144bPS, and will sacrifice some CPU cycles I guess.

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Coming back to this as the OP of the thread.
  • I tried making the iFrame match the frame rate
  • I tried making the expected framerate in BI higher than the cameras output frame rate
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled BI a few times
  • I swapped out the camera in that position for another one I had for a different one (to check to see if its the camera, or even possibly the cable)
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled the Intel driver.
  • I uninstalled BI Watchguard
  • I uninstalled Pulseway which I was using to monitor the system
  • I removed VLAN settings from the managed switch so everything could just see everything
None of it fixed it. The system OS wasnt as clean as I would have liked it since I tested a lot of stuff when I was learning. So I just reinstalled the OS which fixed it.

In hindsight, another thing I should have tested was telling Windows Defender to not scan the recording folders. But who knows whether what would have fixed it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Coming back to this as the OP of the thread.
  • I tried making the iFrame match the frame rate
  • I tried making the expected framerate in BI higher than the cameras output frame rate
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled BI a few times
  • I swapped out the camera in that position for another one I had for a different one (to check to see if its the camera, or even possibly the cable)
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled the Intel driver.
  • I uninstalled BI Watchguard
  • I uninstalled Pulseway which I was using to monitor the system
  • I removed VLAN settings from the managed switch so everything could just see everything
None of it fixed it. The system OS wasnt as clean as I would have liked it since I tested a lot of stuff when I was learning. So I just reinstalled the OS which fixed it.

In hindsight, another thing I should have tested was telling Windows Defender to not scan the recording folders. But who knows whether what would have fixed it.
Definitely exclude all BI folders from Defender.

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had this issue last year. The issue was caused by intel hardware acceleration in my setup. It was resolved by disabling the power saver and buying a displayport monitor emulator so that the computer sees a monitor powered on at all times. Take a look at this thread. Video Tearing in Recorded Files in BI5 and Push to Talk Issues with Blue Iris App (Android)

I was getting tearing as well with the direct monitor hookup, but power saver mode was still enabled on the display. I changed the settings for turn off display to never, and in advanced power settings, I changed Intel(R) Graphics Settings / Intel(R) Graphics Power Plan from "balanced" to "Maximum Performance".

Last edited: