Internal vs External HDD for PC based nvr

sirsoccerhead

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Curious as to what users have experienced using internal vs external hdds. I ask because I have an external enclosure that I can set 2 drives in a raid configuration and not sure how to do that with my pc and not lose the existing drive that I already have. Thanks in advance.

pcmcg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
why would you lose your internal drive? can you clarify?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think OP means that he would have to do a clean install depending on his bios settings to get raid 1. There are ways to do it without a clean install just google it.
Is the external usb or a network drive? The benefit to a network drive is that you can store it in a hidden place. My personal preference is internal although for a blue iris machine raid is overkill unless you are monitoring something super critical. The likely hood that your drive will crash at the same time or within a few days of an event occurring is extremely low.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How about just leaving the internal pc drive be for the OS, applications etc and just writing the recorded video to the external (raid) drive. Keeps things separate and simple.

sirsoccerhead

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. I've installed them internally for now and both are kept separate. My external is USB with slower read write speeds. I want ed a raid so when I add more cameras I could store video across 6tb vs 3tb for 7 days and the other for 14.

Is it possible in blue iris to store 7 days on 1 drive then move it tot the second not record it to both at the same time?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue iris can do exactly what you are looking to do, settings up raid 0 or JBOD, is not needed here and will increase the change of file loss. Just go to options>clips and archiving its all there.

sirsoccerhead

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i see that, but how to switch from record to both disks to only record on the first then move to storage? Its set at 7 for new and 14 for archive but still puts files on both drives and its only been 3 days

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue iris will never record to two disks simultaneously, it cant. New clips should be set to go to drive 1. Stored clips should be going to drive 2. For your senario, move new clips to storage should be set to 14 days You must also increase the folder size limit. so if your drive 1 (for new clips is) 930 gigabytes then set the folder size to 900 or so. If you exceed the folder size before 14 days it will move it to the storage drive, its 14 days OR max folder size.

Spaceboy

n3wb
Reaction score
I wonder if any of the newer hikvision nvr's have the haswell in it or is that a long shot?... I'm considering building a dedicated cpu for 16 cameras, but don't know if the performance will be as good as say a 8600 series of the Hikvision.... Running Four 4TB HDDs. Vs... A CPU running a SSD for the OS and then WD Purple HDDs for storage & go the Blue Iris route. Thoughts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The Hikvision NVR's do not run haswell desktop processors. They are low power chips. That is fine because they use the in camera motion detection and run on a proprietary os. There are pluses an minuses to both that have been discussed at length in other threads.

Spaceboy

n3wb
Reaction score
The Hikvision NVR's do not run haswell desktop processors. They are low power chips. That is fine because they use the in camera motion detection and run on a proprietary os. There are pluses an minuses to both that have been discussed at length in other threads.
I will hunt down those threads like a mad scientist :D Thank you... I was looking a little, but didn't see an open thread that was labeled NVR vs CPU NVR or anything.... I'll look closer