Internet to my detatched shop

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Why'd you move the connection to the main switch vs to the POE camera switch as it was before? As before will give you the segregation that you wanted for the new cams. It won't give you the AP on your main network if that's what you want. For the latter you could do that in several ways - another fiber run and segregate physically, VLAN through all of your switches, wireless connection back to the main network at the house, etc..

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why'd you move the connection to the main switch vs to the POE camera switch as it was before? As before will give you the segregation that you wanted for the new cams. It won't give you the AP on your main network if that's what you want. For the latter you could do that in several ways - another fiber run and segregate physically, VLAN through all of your switches, wireless connection back to the main network at the house, etc..
Yeah I was confused on how I could get an AP for my main network out in my shop and the four shop cameras using just the one fiber cable run. I was confused because if I connect to my main network switch I don't get the camera segregation. If I connect to my main IP camera switch then I don't get my AP for my main network. I don't have an issue running two cables.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't have an issue running two cables.
This is likely the simplest way using the switches and config you already have.
Where's the cable entry point in relation to the IP camera switch that hangs off your BI machine?
you'll still need to link that.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is likely the simplest way using the switches and config you already have.
Where's the cable entry point in relation to the IP camera switch that hangs off your BI machine?
you'll still need to link that.
Both my main network switch, and the IP cam switch connected to my BI machine are in the same room within spitting distance. So both cables would come in at the same place.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You could connect an AP to a Wireless bridge pair and leave it out of the physical layer between buildings. then you can just concentrate on the cams in the fiber run. Or Vice Veras, you can run four cams on a wireless bridge, if you keep the streams at a reasonable rate.
Its like running a seperate wire out there..potentially straight to your Cam Switch or if you want the AP to be on the wireless bridge you can plug that into the internet side of your home network.
Until you explore and experiment with the options the fiber gives you.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could connect an AP to a Wireless bridge pair and leave it out of the physical layer between buildings. then you can just concentrate on the cams in the fiber run. Or Vice Veras, you can run four cams on a wireless bridge, if you keep the streams at a reasonable rate.
Its like running a seperate wire out there..potentially straight to your Cam Switch or if you want the AP to be on the wireless bridge you can plug that into the internet side of your home network.
Until you explore and experiment with the options the fiber gives you.

I will have to read up on wireless bridges. I do know that if I go to the effort of digging the trench, then I'm going to hard wire everything.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will have to read up on wireless bridges. I do know that if I go to the effort of digging the trench, then I'm going to hard wire everything.
Yeah if you're digging a trench then just hard wire your AP.
If you don't want to deal with managed switches and vlans then just run multiple fibres and use one for each network.

You'll still be able to use managed switches and vlans at a later date if you want.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah if you're digging a trench then just hard wire your AP.
If you don't want to deal with managed switches and vlans then just run multiple fibres and use one for each network.

You'll still be able to use managed switches and vlans at a later date if you want.
Do you know if they make a single unit ( POE switch) that has two SPF ports with ethernet ports but it's actually two seperate units in one? Meaning one SPF port and half the ethernet ports are seperate from the other SPF port and ethernet ports. Something I can plug two seperate runs of fiber into without buying two seperate POE switches with an SPF port.

Hope that made sense.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you know if they make a single unit ( POE switch) that has two SPF ports with ethernet ports but it's actually two seperate units in one? Meaning one SPF port and half the ethernet ports are seperate from the other SPF port and ethernet ports. Something I can plug two seperate runs of fiber into without buying two seperate POE switches with an SPF port.

Hope that made sense.
I don't think so.
But thats exactly what you do with a vlan.
Except it's a logical separation rather than a physical one.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think so.
Except it's a logical separation rather than a physical one.
So with two fiber runs to the shop, I'd need a POE switch with a SPF port (Cameras) and a regular media converter for the AP? Then two more media converters in the house?

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah I get the vlan route. I have three vlans on my network already. I just want those shop cameras connected like the rest of my cams.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So with two fiber runs to the shop, I'd need a POE switch with a SPF port (Cameras) and a regular media converter for the AP? Then two more media converters in the house?
Yeah unless you just run copper instead in which case you just need a normal Poe switch for your cameras and your AP can plug in directly as well.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah unless you just run copper instead in which case you just need a normal Poe switch for your cameras and your AP can plug in directly as well.
I'd still need to run two cables if I went copper. One from my network switch in the house for the AP. And the 2nd from the POE IP cam switch in the house for the shop cameras.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yes you would but you would be able to use regular non SFP switches and media convertors.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yes you would but you would be able to use regular non SFP switches and media convertors.
Yep, I'm starting to think copper would be way less complicated with less points of failure.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, I'm starting to think copper would be way less complicated with less points of failure.
Yeah well maybe, maybe not.

you're sticking that stuff in the ground so you should use the appropriate cable.
You should be using gel filled direct bury cable because even though it will be in a conduit it will almost certainly end up with water in it.

Fibre typically has no such problem.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah well maybe, maybe not.

you're sticking that stuff in the ground so you should use the appropriate cable.
You should be using gel filled direct bury cable because even though it will be in a conduit it will almost certainly end up with water in it.

Fibre typically has no such problem.
Yeah I was going to use direct bury in conduit no matter what I went with (ethernet or fiber). I was kind of looking forward to fiber since I have never worked with it before.

So fiber has no issues with water?

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can get outdoor rated pre terminated fibre optic cable that has water blocking yarn which is a shit load less messy than gel filled stuff.

You also need to keep in mind that fibre optic runs have bend radius requirements that can differ to copped cable runs.
It might be a straight run between buildings, but there will be bends at either end. Don't make them too tight or you could have issues with your signal.