Internet to my detatched shop

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A while back I wrote a short wiki page on fiber optics, intended to get people started on the learning curve. Fiber Optic Networking Primer

If you don't mind buying a brand you've never heard of before, there are a number of Chinese networking brands now that have been getting generally favorable reviews from servethehome and most of them have pretty great prices. For example this $94 switch (-$30 coupon = $64) has eight 2.5 Gbps PoE+ ports (120W total budget) and one SFP+ port capable of 10 gigabit speed over fiber optics. Not that long ago I was buying regular 1 Gbps PoE switches with no SFP slot for that price.

This one is probably a better fit for a shed or shop with a few IoT devices and cameras: $40 (-20% coupon = $32) for eight gigabit PoE ports. There are a few conflicting data points in the description such as the PoE power limit per port (15.4 vs 30 watts) and the SFP slot speed (SFP+ is 10 Gbps, SFP is only 1 Gbps or 1.25 Gbps as noted by many SFP transceivers). So I'm not sure exactly what they put in this cheaper model.
Check these switches out. They get really good reviews. This one is $28.00 plus a 10% off coupon. Could use them for cheap media converters. And, it's POE which would be perfect for my four shop cams.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well I've made some head way on this project. I ended up digging the ditch by hand because I have a water line in the same area and didn't want to hit it with my Bobcat backhoe. Home Depot had a sale on 1.5" ABS drain line so I bought enough of that to use as conduit.

What's a good fiber optic cable to use? Something that will be tough enough without having any metal sheathing so I don't have to worry about grounding. I want to go with OS2 LC to LC single mode fiber. I think that would be fine for what I'm doing.

Would something like this be fine since it's in conduit?

Last edited:

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
FWIW, underground / outdoor conduit WILL accumulate water over time.
Maybe the outdoor stuff should be used then since it will be in conduit. What causes the water getting into the conduit? Condensation?

I'm making sure that if I ever have to feed cable through this conduit in the future, it will be easy. It will have three spots where there will be a radius. I'm making my own by heating the conduit with a heat gun and putting a slight bend over several sticks of the pipe.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The redneck in me wants to just continue this conduit right through the foundation vent. The cleanest way would be to use a roto hammer and drill through the foundation stem wall. Drilling a 2" hole through 6" of concrete does not sound fun. Plus I don't want to hit any rebar. 20240924_151459.jpg

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The cleanest way would be to use a roto hammer and drill through the foundation stem wall. Drilling a 2" hole through 6" of concrete does not sound fun.
I used a core drill that attaches to an angle grinder. The pipe is gray PVC, forgot the exact size, probably 1-1/2". Luckily didn't hit any rebar. I've got 3 pipes like this running out of the crawlspace in different directions.
CrawlspaceTowardPumphouse_01 (Large).JPG