Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello
I would need the following configuration
1 Blue iris server in location A
2 Blue iris Server in location B

I want to take the camera which is in place B and introduce them in place A

these are Dahua IPC-HDBW4231 cameras

could you tell me how i could do you have a tutorial. thank you in advance for your help

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More Info:

1) FWIW, I just successfully replicated the above but this time using the remote BI server's MJPG stream (instead of H.264), displayed on the local BI server as a camera (depicted below) which is likely to be less efficient..is that correct, @bp2008 ?

2) The H.264 was a screenshot made on BI4 at the time back in April 2018, but it worked today on my BI5. On the screenshot below for MJPEG, I just changed the "Model" and Video "Path" as shown below.

BI_cam-from-remote-server_mjpg.jpg

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, mjpeg is much less efficient than H.264. But streaming through Blue Iris is also less efficient than streaming directly from the camera.

What I would do is stream directly from the camera. To improve efficiency, I would make these configuration changes:
1) Set the camera to encode H.265. This means no Intel hardware acceleration but it should be worth the tradeoff to keep bandwidth lower.
2) Set the camera to encode VBR at medium quality with a low-ish bit rate limit so that it doesn't use too much internet bandwidth.
3) Set the frame rate of the camera to 15 or less (lower will require less bandwidth).
4) Set the camera's i-frame interval to about 4x the frame rate. i-frames are bandwidth-heavy, but important for stream seeking, so there needs to be a balance.

Then set up a port-forwarding rule for the RTSP port with a source address restriction that prevents anyone else from accessing the forwarded port. To forward the port without this restriction would leave the camera open to hacking, which is not good. If source address restrictions were not available in the router, then I'd set up some other kind of access method such as a proxy server or VPN server running on the BI machine that is local to the camera, and set up the source address restriction for that via Windows Firewall or something.