IOS app questions?

scatter

n3wb
Reaction score
I am not running Blue Iris and only need to access the cameras via Mac iOS.

First a question. Do most, if not all camera manufacturer/var apps require going through their servers/cloud to access the cameras?

I found one app that mentioned that they support many cameras - IP Cam Viewer Pro. And that the app points directly to the camera and bypasses the manufacturers site by storing all data on the phone.

Any thoughts on good apps similar to this for a Mac that you like?

Is this a slower method of connecting to cameras?

Is this the safest way to manage cameras?

Because of the latest issues with firmware access and DDOS attacks, has there been a list of cameras that are relatively safer than others, or do all cameras have the same potential (assuming appropriate safe use of discrete passwords and normal protected home network with up to date router firmware and hardware)

thank you for this forum and for the help!

s.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not running Blue Iris and only need to access the cameras via Mac iOS.

First a question. Do most, if not all camera manufacturer/var apps require going through their servers/cloud to access the cameras?

I found one app that mentioned that they support many cameras - IP Cam Viewer Pro. And that the app points directly to the camera and bypasses the manufacturers site by storing all data on the phone.

Any thoughts on good apps similar to this for a Mac that you like?

Is this a slower method of connecting to cameras?

Is this the safest way to manage cameras?

Because of the latest issues with firmware access and DDOS attacks, has there been a list of cameras that are relatively safer than others, or do all cameras have the same potential (assuming appropriate safe use of discrete passwords and normal protected home network with up to date router firmware and hardware)

thank you for this forum and for the help!

s.
The only way to keep the cameras 100 percent safe is to use vpn...if you use something like ip camviewer you will not be able to view recorded video....most manufactures allow direct access to the camera without any use of their servers...dahua is more mac friendly than some others...you say mac and ios...are you looking for software for a mobile device or a mac computer...

scatter

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I would be OK with just mobile access via iPhone. For security if I don't go the VPN route then it doesn't make a difference going with the manufacturers apps or 3rd party?

How are the Amcrest cameras they seem to be slightly better cost and similar to the dahua line?

regards

s

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I would be OK with just mobile access via iPhone. For security if I don't go the VPN route then it doesn't make a difference going with the manufacturers apps or 3rd party?

How are the Amcrest cameras they seem to be slightly better cost and similar to the dahua line?

regards

s
Amcrest is more expensive than dahua...all they do is slap their name on dahua cameras...they rebrand them.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Amcrest are just rebranded Dahua's, but your not looking hard enough if your finding em for better costs.

VPN Server dosent make a difference to any of your applications, it does not interfere with them in any way/shape form.. think of it more as a form of connectivity to your network, much like your WiFi... If you put an IoT device (cameras) on the internet without knowing EXACTLY what your doing; if vulnerable it'll be hacked in under 3mins flat.

scatter

n3wb
Reaction score
>if vulnerable it'll be hacked in under 3mins flat.

well... that's not comforting :)

Would that hack allow for viewing the camera feed, or worse such as controlling the network, or other intrusion?

Honestly I don't care if someone is interested in looking at my sump pump :)

scatter

n3wb
Reaction score
another thought... is their any difference in someone being able to hack a camera, or cable box, or roku etc? or is the camera somehow inherently more open to problems?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nobody gives a shit about your video feed either, they will use it to attack everyone else on the internet: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/10/hacked-cameras-dvrs-powered-todays-massive-internet-outage/

Your cable box and roku are not put directly on the internet, they can talk to the internet but the internet cant talk to them, there is no reason for em.. so your attack surface for them is tiny.. but most people want remote access of there video surveillance system so they forward ports to em and the attack surface just became huge.. since anyone can make a connection attempt all it takes is one small security issue and they blew right past your firewall and almost nothing is stopping em at that point from owning your entire network.

a VPN Server running on your router is designed for the internet exposure; its been hardened w/strong crypto, had thousands of historical security audits, and get regular updates and security patches when issues are found.. its much more appropriate of a service to put on the internet where anyone can ATTEMPT to make a connection.

scatter

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again for the responses. Looks like I'll need to investigate the world of VPNs.

Does everyone here use a local VPN? There's no plan B?

s.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I went with a VPN as suggested by Nayr. It works well. Not very cumbersome. One extra click even on my iPhone and I can access my entire remote network securely.

I bought an Asus router for $90 that has a built in feature for it.

scatter

n3wb
Reaction score
Does the ASUS router with VPN built in eliminate the need for running a separate VPN server or service? Any threads on this forum that discuss the basic layout of this setup?

Thanks again,

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah lots of em; search..

VPN Server is built into many consumer grade routers; a VPN Service is for hiding your ass on the internet.. you are using this for secure remote access so you want a router that has a VPN Server built into it.

scatter

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, VPN is one of those things I've been able to avoid. Guess it's time for me to learn-up :)

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, VPN is one of those things I've been able to avoid. Guess it's time for me to learn-up :)
It's not that hard if you think of your network like a castle. The router/firewall is the moat around the castle. In order to get inside the castle, you need to raise and lower the drawbridge. The VPN acts like a drawbridge. When you want to get into the network, you start your VPN on your client (mobile, tablet, pc, etc) and it creates a secure encrypted tunnel into your network. When you are done, you stop the VPN client and the secure tunnel closes.

The vast majority of modern vpn's are more secure than port forwarding because they typically involve more than your username/password to authenticate you. Most use client certificates to prove you are who you say you are. The new VPN servers do most of the heavy lifting. Google how-to videos online. I've found OpenVPN is very popular with router manufacturers. Google it, and download a getting started guide. There are many people here who can help, but I would say most don't have the time to hold your hand through every step.

scatter

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks, I was getting confused with the concept of a VPN server in a router or on a PC. I didn't know that the router was an alternate option. I did find some info on dual router setup that sounds interesting and possibly an easier way to ease into the VPN world.

s

scatter

n3wb
Reaction score
in case someone is following this thread, the following link seems to have a very good discussion here on the forum from 8/2016 on the same topic. Lots of good info from NAYR and others - LINK

and another discussion about connecting to OpenVPN - LINK

Last edited by a moderator: