IP Cam connection problems

Lazza

n3wb
Reaction score
HI Forum

I recently bought an Avidsen IP Cam from Leroy Merlin (http://www.leroymerlin.es/fp/16688735/camara-de-vigilancia-ip-avidsen-motorizada&idCatPadre=250381&pathFamilaFicha=3903). I'm in Spain by the way. The camera looks identical to alot out there under different brands.

The software it uses is MyP2PCam. It works fine on LAN and WAN when I'm on my home network. (I had to activate UPnP on the router because it hardly worked at all outside my home network at first.)

It works, but when I'm on the internet away from home, the bit rate keeps dropping to 0 KBps every few seconds. What this means is that I dont have streaming video, more like pictures that change now and again.
:sad2:
Does anyone know what might be causing this, and how to fix it?

All help much appreciated

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How much upload bandwidth do you have? These are junk foscam clones that only do mpeg so they use alot of bandwidth...if you can still return it do so and get a better camera from dahua or hikvision for a bit more. You will have WAY better image quality and less reliability issues.

Lazza

n3wb
Reaction score
It's pretty rubbish my internet. Upload speed is around 250Kbps. I thought maybe there was still a problem with my router?

Lazza

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes it's depressingly backward here in southern spain- happen to be in a black spot for internet

Lazza

n3wb
Reaction score
It's a bit late to take this camera back, but i'll try

With such a slow internet, what kind of camera would the forum recommend- how could i optimize it's performance?

thanks
Larry

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lower the resolution, frame rate, quality settings.. but MJPEG format at those upload speeds you might just pull still JPEG images and auto refresh them.

x264 video encoding is an order of magnitude better..

for example, a very minimal stream:
MJPEG 1080P Low Quality @ 1FPS uses 800Kbps or 100KB/s
H264 1080p Low Quality @ 1FPS uses 160Kbps or 20KB/s

Your never going to get very good with only 30KB/s uploads, sorry.. still images is your best bet remotely, even a x264 cam wont be very usable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lazza

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah ok, thanks very much for the replies- any recommendations of IP cameras that support H264?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, hikvision and dahua, both great. There are lots of threads on the various models. Stay far away from foscam, wanscam, dericam, etc etc...all junk.

Lazza

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure i can get those makes here, looking on Amazon, ebay etc. Any idea under what brand they sell in Europe?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Lazza

n3wb
Reaction score
In spain, will have to get it from the UK then... thanks for your help