IP cam for car backup cam.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had this idea since I got into IP cameras to rig up a backup camera on my car. Anyone done this? Anyone have any ideas for a good cam to use? Maybe I could rig up a raspberry pi.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
One of the biggest issues is latency. It is almost never an issue with security cams (except in rare situations) but latency in a backup camera can be deadly.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
One of the biggest issues is latency. It is almost never an issue with security cams (except in rare situations) but latency in a backup camera can be deadly.
Haha, so true, I figure even if it's wireless though, the thing is right there latency should be less than a second.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
even less than a second is not good enough, it has to be realtime or very close to it (100ms) otherwise you are asking for trouble.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
even less than a second is not good enough, it has to be realtime or very close to it (100ms) otherwise you are asking for trouble.
Well they have them built in to cars and they seem okay, I'd of course run at least 30fps, but you know, lol.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
the cameras built into cars are not ip cameras...they are analog. Even if a manufacturer did introduced ip they would need to find a way to limit latency. Quite frankly you are better off with no camera than one that lags a second.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
the cameras built into cars are not ip cameras...they are analog. Even if a manufacturer did introduced ip they would need to find a way to limit latency. Quite frankly you are better off with no camera than one that lags a second.
or rigging up an anlog camera. :D

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Or getting a new car with backup cameras! The 2015 Honda Fit is calling my name big time. I may have to trade my 2012 in for the EX-L. Multiview backup camera and lane change camera on the right side mirror, to name a few goodies.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Or getting a new car with backup cameras! The 2015 Honda Fit is calling my name big time. I may have to trade my 2012 in for the EX-L. Multiview backup camera and lane change camera on the right side mirror, to name a few goodies.
Ah that's no fun, if I wanted to do that I would have bought an all in one DVR with some cams and not ever got in to blue iris, I like to do it myself. :)

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Well they have after market actual backup camera systems to install- a nice DIY for you.