IP Camera connection over Network. Help

LorexUser

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a Lorex NVR system with 4 IP cams that I installed one on each exterior corner of my house and they're working fine. I purchased 2 more IP cams that I installed on my workshop that is roughly a 100ft away from the house and I'm having issues registering these 2 new cameras in NVR.
Here's a bit about my setup:
Lorex NVR model is N843A8, 8 channels. NVR is connected to one of the Ethernet ports of my main (D-Link) router, both devices are next to each other in my office. 4x original IP cams are connected to the back of NVR with supplied Ethernet cable. This setup works fine.
My secondary router (Netgear) in the workshop is connected to one of the Ethernet ports of D-Link router. There is a single Ethernet cable between the house and a workshop. Router works fine as I have internet access when connected to my workshop's WIFI.
2x new IP cams that I installed on the sides of a workshop are connected to Ethernet ports on the back on my Netgear router (Scenario 2 on the attached picture except it's a router and not a switch). I had to run a separate power cord to each cam as that router doesn't support PoE.
I can see the IP cams in the list of the attached devices on my Netgear network, but I can only see the Netgear router and not the devices attached to it on my D-Link network. When going to my NVR camera registration settings, it can't find the 2 new IP cams.
I understand it's more like one of my routers settings are preventing the NVR to detect the cameras. Is there any specific router setting I need to check / uncheck to make things work?

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a Lorex NVR system with 4 IP cams that I installed one on each exterior corner of my house and they're working fine. I purchased 2 more IP cams that I installed on my workshop that is roughly a 100ft away from the house and I'm having issues registering these 2 new cameras in NVR.
Here's a bit about my setup:
Lorex NVR model is N843A8, 8 channels. NVR is connected to one of the Ethernet ports of my main (D-Link) router, both devices are next to each other in my office. 4x original IP cams are connected to the back of NVR with supplied Ethernet cable. This setup works fine.
My secondary router (Netgear) in the workshop is connected to one of the Ethernet ports of D-Link router. There is a single Ethernet cable between the house and a workshop. Router works fine as I have internet access when connected to my workshop's WIFI.
2x new IP cams that I installed on the sides of a workshop are connected to Ethernet ports on the back on my Netgear router (Scenario 2 on the attached picture except it's a router and not a switch). I had to run a separate power cord to each cam as that router doesn't support PoE.
I can see the IP cams in the list of the attached devices on my Netgear network, but I can only see the Netgear router and not the devices attached to it on my D-Link network. When going to my NVR camera registration settings, it can't find the 2 new IP cams.
I understand it's more like one of my routers settings are preventing the NVR to detect the cameras. Is there any specific router setting I need to check / uncheck to make things work?
Welcome @LorexUser

iirc you have to "manually add" cameras to the NVR when adding cameras from the WAN side of the NVR .. ( that is look for "manual" add option )

this would mean you should know the IP addresses of the cameras on the WAN side ..

you may need to do some work to get the cameras to have the proper IP addresses on the main LAN .. I personally like to use static IP addresses for devices which are not mobile devices.

1668918752087.png

1668918769205.png

Attachments

LorexUser

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer. I can't add them manually (following the instructions from Lorex) as they're not visible for NVR.
I did disable the "Use Router as DHCP Server" checkbox in Netgear router settings and it's my understanding the router would not assign the IP addresses to the connected devices anymore and would work sort of like a switch, but I could be wrong or maybe there's some other settings I need to change.
I will try to connect the 2x new cams to a switch instead of a router tomorrow and see if they pop up in NVR list of network devices, if yes then it will confirm the Netgear router settings are wrong.

Will review the manual, thanks for that too.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer. I can't add them manually (following the instructions from Lorex) as they're not visible for NVR.
I did disable the "Use Router as DHCP Server" checkbox in Netgear router settings and it's my understanding the router would not assign the IP addresses to the connected devices anymore and would work sort of like a switch, but I could be wrong or maybe there's some other settings I need to change.
I will try to connect the 2x new cams to a switch instead of a router tomorrow and see if they pop up in NVR list of network devices, if yes then it will confirm the Netgear router settings are wrong.

Will review the manual, thanks for that too.
Check the IP addresses, netmask, on the LAN ( that is the WAN side on the NVR ) ..

LorexUser

n3wb
Reaction score
After much (unsuccessful) screwing around with Netgear router settings, I gave up and just installed a switch right before the router and connected 2x new IP cams (together with a router) to the switch. Cameras showed up on my main router list of connected devices as well as on the list of available cams in NVR settings. Added the cameras and now everything works good. Apparently there was a way to configure the router as a network switch but then I would have lost my workshop WIFI. This switch's been laying around for nearly 20 years so at least it could do some more work...

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
two routers means your double NAT-ted probably.....You'd have to use the workshop/router as an Access point or Bridge mode, so that is not assigning IP addresses, and that way you can get the camera on the right NET to see them from the house router.

LorexUser

n3wb
Reaction score
two routers means your double NAT-ted probably.....You'd have to use the workshop/router as an Access point or Bridge mode, so that is not assigning IP addresses, and that way you can get the camera on the right NET to see them from the house router.
Yeah that's what I figured, it was assigning it's own IP addressed. It's an older router and doesn't have AP or Bridge settings, doing a fine job with my wifi network though

LorexUser

n3wb
Reaction score
Just be aware that the switch portion of most routers is not very robust bandwidth-wise when it comes to constant video streaming and 2 cams might be close to its limit.
Netgear is an older router and ethernet ports on the back only support 100Mbps speeds, same as the switch that I installed instead, seems to work fine and no hickups, video quality is good and not choppy. I googled and it says the 4k video streaming needs around 25Mbps so that's 50Mbps for 2 cams with room to spare.