Ip camera connection problem- ping ok

jjhdtv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all. I need some help in trying to diagnose and fix a problem with a noname IP camera.
I can no longer access the camera's webpage or view the video feed. I can successfully ping the camera's IP address.

I recently did some repairs to this camera. Perhaps something shorted or something did not get reconnected correctly. However, since I can get a consistent ping reply I believe that is not the case
(First question - does a solid ping support that the camera is working correctly?). I have not opened the case back up because I'm unclear if it would do any good looking since I get a valid ping reply. All other functions of the camera seem to be working (ptz cycles at power up, led lights on, camera ir filter mechanically clicks)

The Onvif tool does not find this camera - it does find my others IP cameras on my netork

I verified no ip address conflicts on my network. Also tried direct connection to laptop. Same result, can ping but no webpage access.

I have used a port scanning tool that consistently finds the troublesome camera address but only shows port 6000 open (scanned port 1 to 10000). Port 80 is not open (default webpage port prior to the problem). I have tried the http connection with port 6000 - did not work.

General question - is possible the camera is working but somehow corrupted the software running the webrowser? Would reflashing the cameras software potentially fix the problem? Any suggestions as to what else I should try?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently did some repairs to this camera. Perhaps something shorted or something did not get reconnected correctly.
Is that when the camera stopped working?
What was the nature of the repairs?
Any suggestions as to what else I should try?
If you've been inside the camera - it may be worth trying to identify the serial console connection that very likely exists.
If it's working enough to create an IP stack then the serial console should provide lots of clues as to why it's not getting to a fully working state.
Look for 3 or 4 pads, close to the CPU/SoC chip, maybe even a connector like Hikvision if you are lucky.
Then you'd need a serial TTL to USB convertor to talk to it.

*edit* "I have tried the http connection with port 6000" Try a telnet connection to that port to see if it's talking.

jjhdtv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is that when the camera stopped working?
What was the nature of the repairs?

If you've been inside the camera - it may be worth trying to identify the serial console connection that very likely exists.
If it's working enough to create an IP stack then the serial console should provide lots of clues as to why it's not getting to a fully working state.
Look for 3 or 4 pads, close to the CPU/SoC chip, maybe even a connector like Hikvision if you are lucky.
Then you'd need a serial TTL to USB convertor to talk to it.

*edit* "I have tried the http connection with port 6000" Try a telnet connection to that port to see if it's talking.

jjhdtv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It looks like I can establish a putty telenet connection with port 6000. However, not sure what commands to use at the blank command prompt. Any help on what commands to try?

The repair was triggered when the camera stopped working completely. I discovered an internal disconnected ribbon cable. Once reconnected and bench tested everything was working (web gui, etc). upon re-assembly I must have pinched a few wires that power the camera. Even smelled a little magic smoke, but could not find any damage other than a severed wire. Repaired the wire - re-assembled correctly. That leaves me to the current state - camera has power, establishes an IP with the network, but no webrowser gui.

I'm working with the manufacture but there is a huge language problem and so far can't get passed their suggestion that there is an IP conflict on my network (which there is not).
I still think it is a firmware problem but this community might have a better understanding. thank you for the help

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Even smelled a little magic smoke, but could not find any damage other than a severed wire.
That doesn't sound good. Electronic damage doesn't have to be visible.
It looks like I can establish a putty telenet connection with port 6000. However, not sure what commands to use at the blank command prompt. Any help on what commands to try?
Sorry, not really. Some cameras, depending on brand and firmware, output status and other info on open ports, I have several that do this. I wondered if your might also.

still think it is a firmware problem
From what you've described - I do think that idea is optimistic.