IP camera jobs, is this the right forum?

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I currently work in the IT field and I have worked with our vendors on many IP camera projects. The quality of work from the vendors is great, but their knowledge of the IP cameras isn't the best. The account reps and installers know the minimum to sell and install the systems. When I ask about specific questions, they have to get back to me or don't have an answer.

I also have experience with networking, virtualization, storage, wireless links (point to point) for building/extending the network (mainly for cameras) and the standard/basic IT related skills.

I know there is a need for this type of role at certain MSPs and or larger camera vendors, but when I look for jobs all I see are positions for the installer (which I don't want to do) or network only, which is great, but I can offer a lot more than that.

I am not even sure how to search for a job that has everything I mentioned above.

Any ideas/suggestions?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I can see how it would be a challenge finding a job that can put all those skills to use. Have you considered starting your own business?

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can see how it would be a challenge finding a job that can put all those skills to use. Have you considered starting your own business?
Yes, but it is a catch 22 (IMO). I can't get clients because they want service when they have issues, they don't want to wait until my job is done (I don't blame them). I don't want to quit a job to try to start a business.

There is another reason that there might not be that large of a market for this....most enterprises don't care about IP camera/security/etc. Meaning, they will call a vendor, vendor implements solution x, the company is happy because they now have cameras. They don't really consider networking, storage, VM vs physical server, will people connect remotely, etc...I know not all companies think that way, but I talk to a lot of camera installers and they always tell me 'it would be nice if we had a contact like you at all the sites we visit'.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi dt-cam,

career wise imho you're better off in IT, though perhaps you can moonlight with some of those companies you have worked with to help configure things as a consultant.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The Ubiquiti community forums are full of people with this kind of skill set, and some of them set up wireless networks and cameras for farms and ranches where they have a lot of acres, several buildings, and livestock to keep an eye on. Solar power, batteries, and short towers are often required. Sometimes they'd set this stuff up on a small trailer to make it portable. Ordinary security camera installers would be lost trying to do all that.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi dt-cam,

career wise imho you're better off in IT, though perhaps you can moonlight with some of those companies you have worked with to help configure things as a consultant.
I'm not looking to leave the IT field, if anything, IP cameras/networking/etc should be considered more IT than anything else. Especially in today's world where the NVR/VMS systems are integrated with everything (access cards, gates, internal/external doors, etc...).

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not looking to leave the IT field, if anything, IP cameras/networking/etc should be considered more IT than anything else. Especially in today's world where the NVR/VMS systems are integrated with everything (access cards, gates, internal/external doors, etc...).
Hi Dt-Cam,

Unfortunately the security camera industry traditionally is less valued than IT - so even though those in that industry now more than ever need IT skills business owners will not see security cameras as being as important to their bottom line compared to other IT areas. This is one reason why the security camera people you have been meeting have poor IT skills - because those with better skills can probably find a better paid IT job elsewhere.

This is also why security camera systems are more vulnerable to hacks - the industry has been slow to follow the best practices of IT industry leaders on securing their platforms ( MS, Apple, Google, Linux distros,.. )

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Dt-Cam,

Unfortunately the security camera industry traditionally is less valued than IT - so even though those in that industry now more than ever need IT skills business owners will not see security cameras as being as important to their bottom line compared to other IT areas. This is one reason why the security camera people you have been meeting have poor IT skills - because those with better skills can probably find a better paid IT job elsewhere.

This is also why security camera systems are more vulnerable to hacks - the industry has been slow to follow the best practices of IT industry leaders on securing their platforms ( MS, Apple, Google, Linux distros,.. )
Yeah, I agree. It is very unfortunate for many reasons. I have talked to vendors who simply tell me 'we rarely get an on-site IT contact and when we do, it takes them weeks to get back to us.'

I guess it will continue this way until they get a reason to improve it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. It is very unfortunate for many reasons. I have talked to vendors who simply tell me 'we rarely get an on-site IT contact and when we do, it takes them weeks to get back to us.'

I guess it will continue this way until they get a reason to improve it.
BP2008 does point out to one very bright spot here.. ubiquiti, they do seem to be an exception to what I mentioned, and there are other higher end companies which are also seriously concerned about keeping their systems auto patched and current with the newer firmware.

Pharmacies is a good example of where they take security cameras seriously due to theft threat of drugs and the related risks, so from a business perspective it is easier to sell a quality security camera setup to the CFO in that case.