IP Camera Main Stream to Multiple NVR's

Robster15

n3wb
Reaction score
General question regarding ip cameras streaming to nvr for recording. I understand that the recording is typically done at the nvr via the mainstream of the camera for higher quality. Question is how many nvr's can the typical camera stream its Main Stream to simultaneously? Is there a spec you can look at for the cameras to determine this? Thinking of adding a second nvr to our business in a hidden location for redundancy as we have had the nvr stolen by one of our managers in the recent past...but mostly just would love to understand this side of the equation. Thanks in advance!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Question is how many nvr's can the typical camera stream its Main Stream to simultaneously?
This varies with the model and firmware of the (unspecified) camera.
With Hikvision cameras, R0 and R6, I've pulled 3 main streams with no obvious problems.
You can very likely, model-dependent, pull the RTSP streams off the (unspecified) NVR, which might be useful if the cameras are on NVR PoE ports so by default not directly accessible.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was able to pull 5 main streams from a Dahua 5231 varifocal turret... one to my NVR (Blue Iris), one to the Dahua smartphone app, and then I got up to 3 on my old PC before the PC started to bog down. The specs say this model camera supports 10 simultaneous users (unicast) and 20 users (multicast). I wasn’t able to get it up to 10 streams to see if that’s really the streaming limit, but it seems reasonable that it would be.