IP camera network connection problems

mack100

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 5 IP cameras connected to my LAN via 2 POE switches and recording is done on a 7608 NVR.
2 weeks ago we had something of a storm and 1 camera stopped working. I disconnected it, gave the RJ45 connection a clean with electronic solvent cleaner and it connects OK directly to the NVR which assigns it it's own internal IP address. The image is seen in IVMS-4200 and in web browser.
The problem starts when I connect the camera back to a POE switch. Nothing happens, no IR light that would normally come on for a minute or so, no evidence of network traffic either.
Not surprisingly SADP doesn't see the camera. The vendor is baffled and is seeking help from Hikvision so I won't hold my breath waiting for a reply there.

I'd be grateful if anyone here might know what the problem is.

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You connect it to nvr and you can view so nvr and camera are fine, Did you try connecting to a different port on the switch? not all ports on a switch are POE are you definitely connected to a POE port?

Last edited by a moderator:

mack100

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You connect it to nvr and you can view so nvr and camera are fine, Did you try connecting to a different port on the switch? not all ports on a switch are POE are you definitely connected to a POE port?
I've tried connecting to ports that previously had traffic and I've also used a variety of cables to no effect.

weiny

n3wb
Reaction score
Possible the network-cable had voltage attenuation in the storm.Try to replace a new network cable?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Possible the network-cable had voltage attenuation in the storm.Try to replace a new network cable?
Sorry but that is simply not possible. Its it works plugged into the nvr there is a defect in the poe switch...

weiny

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry but that is simply not possible. Its it works plugged into the nvr there is a defect in the poe switch...
Oh oh, Are you use the same cable whether plugged into the nvr or in the poe switch?
I selling hikvision over 2 years, but sorry I have no any idea about this question.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh oh, Are you use the same cable whether plugged into the nvr or in the poe switch?
I selling hikvision over 2 years, but sorry I have no any idea about this question.
Im not the original poster..read the post.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've plugged the camera into 2 different POE switches.
If its not working with a second poe switch and you confirmed the switch will power other cameras, then one possibility is that hikvision nvr's use mode B POE, which supplies power over different pins than mode a (which is more common)..I have never tested it so dont know..An iffy connection may still transmit data but cause issues with power...recheck your new connections...

mack100

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If its not working with a second poe switch and you confirmed the switch will power other cameras, then one possibility is that hikvision nvr's use mode B POE, which supplies power over different pins than mode a (which is more common)..I have never tested it so dont know..An iffy connection may still transmit data but cause issues with power...recheck your new connections...
OK I'll do that, thanks.