Ip camera outdoor with pir motion sensor

NickCam77

n3wb
Reaction score
It all depends on the detector you choose and where/how you install it. I already mentioned a bunch of specific products.

It isn't one size fits all, different products are appropriate for different applications. Describe what you're trying to cover with some detail and maybe a satellite view, a diagram or some photos if you want more specific advice.
Please see the red circled areas that Im interested in covering.Thanks in advance!

Attachments

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm using an all of the above approach. I gave up on PIR in outdoor situations except in covered patio areas where those PIR sensors point at other walls and don't have waving plants. I've recently migrated all of those PIRs from wireless INSTEON to addressable wired DSC units hook up to my alarm system.

All PTZ cameras have setpoints and those setpoints can all be trigger in BI via an http request.

I'm using:

1) PIRs (wired addressable DSC units) - Only in areas like covered wraparound patio that point back to walls that don't have waving plants).
2) Infrared photo beams (Seco-Larm) that surround the entire house on all 4 sides.
3) Fixed spotter cameras for motion detection.
4) Door and window sensors (including mailbox door sensor).

The fixed spotter cameras trigger Homeseer through the exe trigger option. I'm waiting for BI to add a runtime parameter to the exe trigger option so that we can trigger an exe with specific zones or hotspots within a single camera which will make it easier to add z-space detection.

All 4 sensor types triggers are captured in Homeseer and run through a matrix that determines which camera setpoints for each PTZ camera to use. So for example, if a window opens, all PTZ cameras within view of that window will track to that window.

When my mail box opens, 3 different cameras zoom in to the mailbox. One of them zooms in close enough to read the text on letters being put into the mailbox. The other two zoom in less so that the person's face is captured....even at night.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please see the red circled areas that Im interested in covering.Thanks in advance!
Each of those areas could take more than 1 detector to fully cover. For the entry I'd use a GE RCR-REX and for the parking area a DSC LC-171 or the cheap paradox.

Then it's a question of what you're hooking them to. Some cameras have alarm i/o, most NVRs do, and If you're using software like BlueIris you'd need something they could connect to.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using an all of the above approach. I gave up on PIR in outdoor situations except in covered patio areas where those PIR sensors point at other walls and don't have waving plants. I've recently migrated all of those PIRs from wireless INSTEON to addressable wired DSC units hook up to my alarm system.

All PTZ cameras have setpoints and those setpoints can all be trigger in BI via an http request.

I'm using:

1) PIRs (wired addressable DSC units) - Only in areas like covered wraparound patio that point back to walls that don't have waving plants).
2) Infrared photo beams (Seco-Larm) that surround the entire house on all 4 sides.
3) Fixed spotter cameras for motion detection.
4) Door and window sensors (including mailbox door sensor).

The fixed spotter cameras trigger Homeseer through the exe trigger option. I'm waiting for BI to add a runtime parameter to the exe trigger option so that we can trigger an exe with specific zones or hotspots within a single camera which will make it easier to add z-space detection.

All 4 sensor types triggers are captured in Homeseer and run through a matrix that determines which camera setpoints for each PTZ camera to use. So for example, if a window opens, all PTZ cameras within view of that window will track to that window.

When my mail box opens, 3 different cameras zoom in to the mailbox. One of them zooms in close enough to read the text on letters being put into the mailbox. The other two zoom in less so that the person's face is captured....even at night.

wow! this all sounds amazing....I'm trying to get a mailbox door sensor to trigger notifications on iphone setup...also looking into other outdoor motion sensors to trigger 49225 PTZ in different areas of my yard...wondering if you could give any tips?....did you do Smartthings? or is Homeseer way better? I'm not a super tech. programmer but can figure out some stuff if it doesnt get too crazy...thanks!

Falcon786

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for thread necro but I think I may have a solution for people with this problem.

After getting tired of Camera's false motion detection issues I subscribed to Blue IRIS sentry option but since there was a spate in break in's at my area in July this year I left nothing to chance and installed a few roboguards on recommendation of a friend who has them for several years and swears by them and he managed to detect and intercept the same cat burglar when they tried to jump into his yard.They are wireless so very easy to install.I was skeptical at first and they're not exactly cheap but I needed a solution fast for my families safety so bit the bullet despite reading one or two negative reviews online.

It's been several months now and I'm genuinely impressed as these things just don't get activated by pets/bugs/birds etc if mounted at the right height but they have never failed to detect a person,I set them up so that a person would never walk towards them but across them.

There is a receiving unit that you'd probably need to hook up to something like blue iris for it to get cams to activate but the unit itself alerts you to intruders by beeping so that was enough for me personally.

hpolack

n3wb
Reaction score
I am still looking for a camera that is POE, PIR Sensor, for outdoor and RTSP/ONVIF capable for my Synology NAS. I think it is crazy that I can get this combination. The closest I have come is InStar HD9008. It works ok, but the quality of the image is pretty poor and spiders love to build webs right in front of it on the overhang, so that does not help. I have tried dry sheets, bugs sprays, silicon and nothing keeps them away from spinning to catch bugs attracted to the IR. Ideally, I would love a 5MP, PTZ with the PIR sensor, but that has been fruitless even looking in Alibaba. I rarely get a false alert from the InStar as well as my Google Nest Cam (PIR) and my Wyze Outdoor Cam (PIR). But I want continuous recording feeding to my NAS with triggered upscale recordings when a human or wildlife pass in front of it. Any suggestions would be great. I basically have a Storage Container some 300 ft from my house that is wired with Ethernet, AC, and now Wifi with an external antenna. I mounted the Instar HD9008 on the top of the container with an POE ethernet cable running to it. Again, it is working, but the image quality sucks and the wide angle sucks.

IPCamNut

n3wb
Reaction score
My experience - I gave up on PIR. Not reliable outdoors no matter what make/model/location/height. Too many false alerts. You don't want a "cry wolf" problem.

What I have found reliable is ACTIVE infrared. Two units needed - transmitter and receiver - that both require power and signal wires. Those work very well.

They now make some solar powered and wireless ACTIVE INFRARED units that I haven't tried yet - if they are reliable, that would avoid the need to run wires and power to two sensors.

Or, get a newer Hikvision or Dahua or clone camera that has intelligent sensing and can distinguish people and cars from everything else. Not as reliable as active infrared I think, but getting closer.

Others may have different experiences. Those are mine.

Last edited:

IPCamNut

n3wb
Reaction score
PIR works best in an enclosed area with nothing moving - including air currents. That's easy to get inside, where PIR is great. Outside it's very hard to get - maybe an almost enclosed patio with no plants that could move gets closest. But for open areas outside - PIR gets confused by too many things in my experience.