Ip camera over 4g

Reaction score
hi I have a cabin in a remote location, how can I set up an ip camera there, so that I could see live what is happening there form anywhere in the world?
I have an Hikvision ip camera
a huawei 4g usb modem
a asus rt-51u router

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
hi I have a cabin in a remote location, how can I set up an ip camera there, so that I could see live what is happening there form anywhere in the world?
I have an Hikvision ip camera
a huawei 4g usb modem
a asus rt-51u router
Your first obstacle sounds like is getting the signal from your camera, NVR or BI computer onto the internet. You mentioned 4g (cellular) from the start so I assume that's how you get onto the internet when you're at the cabin? If you use the 4g modem, is it always on or do you have to turn it on and manually connect to get online?

If you can turn it on and leave it on, then that would be great. Remember that you're only transmitting data out of the cabin when your'e viewing the cameras from the outside world. It just sitting there turned on, shouldn't be using any data. My guess though is that it likely won't stay connected if not used for a period of time OR reconnect if signal drops.

You could have BI or some other software ftp (aka "upload") pictures to a dropbox/cloud drive and then you could look at them to check on the place. That way you could see a picture every so often or you could have alerts uploaded. I wouldnt do video streaming continual upload though as that's going to eat up data quick. With this ftp idea though, you're not going to get anywhere near live/real time status of the place.

Reaction score
I have tried portforwarding the ip camera, but I can't get it to work. I think the problem might be in that when i connenct the usb modem with usb straight to the computer, it shows a different public ip address that when I connect the modem to the router and connect my pc to internet that way

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have tried portforwarding the ip camera, but I can't get it to work. I think the problem might be in that when i connenct the usb modem with usb straight to the computer, it shows a different public ip address that when I connect the modem to the router and connect my pc to internet that way
YOU CANT DO PORTFORWARDING ON 4G. WIPS blocked all ports and you also don't get a external ip. best you can do is P2P(cloud).

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is true, however there are other alternatives. See ngrok or hamachi.
I'm trying to do this, I searched for ngrok and hamachi and came up empty. Is there a particular thread I could start from that you can recommend?

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm trying to do this, I searched for ngrok and hamachi and came up empty. Is there a particular thread I could start from that you can recommend?
Nevermind I found it , I thought those were user names on this forum.....