IP camera recomendations? upgrade from 720p vstar cam

pint_123

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have a Vstar cam https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DU9PQ8S/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that works OK ish, however
  • Every now and again it re-boots /crashes with a horrible screech sound coming from the speaker
  • Video captured is supposed to be HD 1280x720 However its not exactly HD when playing back or viewing, It currently looks out of an upstairs window and cant make out peoples faces, vehicle registration plates, or even logos on vehicles ( ie delivery vans)
  • The Software, Vstar Eye4 cam is awful, it wont let me download files form the camera over a wifi network ( i have to remove the SD card and plug it into my computer for this) Plus the viewing live image software only offers a monitoring window at a resolution of 640x360
  • The mobile app is also so-so and often wont connect, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt
Any ideas on a update/upgrade? ideally it will come in at under £130, pan+tilt a must, 5 volt input ( so it ccan be run from consumer USB power banks if required) and solve some of the issues above, especially the poor resolution/image quality plus work well on a mobile phone ( android device) and on a Roku??

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have a Vstar cam https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DU9PQ8S/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that works OK ish, however
  • Every now and again it re-boots /crashes with a horrible screech sound coming from the speaker
  • Video captured is supposed to be HD 1280x720 However its not exactly HD when playing back or viewing, It currently looks out of an upstairs window and cant make out peoples faces, vehicle registration plates, or even logos on vehicles ( ie delivery vans)
  • The Software, Vstar Eye4 cam is awful, it wont let me download files form the camera over a wifi network ( i have to remove the SD card and plug it into my computer for this) Plus the viewing live image software only offers a monitoring window at a resolution of 640x360
  • The mobile app is also so-so and often wont connect, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt
Any ideas on a update/upgrade? ideally it will come in at under £130, pan+tilt a must, 5 volt input ( so it ccan be run from consumer USB power banks if required) and solve some of the issues above, especially the poor resolution/image quality plus work well on a mobile phone ( android device) and on a Roku??
You dont need pan tilt. You are not sitting at the camera 24/7 so its useless.
You want a good fixed camera. You are very limited if you want to stick it in a window and will never get good results.
See threads on hikvision cube cameras and the dahua 1831-pir cam

pint_123

n3wb
Reaction score
The pan/tilt function is used to point the camera inside every now and again ( to look at a home PC that i often use with remote desktop - too see if its working OK ) and to look down a new path every now and again ( been a few issues) to cover it all i would be looking at three cameras

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The pan/tilt function is used to point the camera inside every now and again ( to look at a home PC that i often use with remote desktop - too see if its working OK ) and to look down a new path every now and again ( been a few issues) to cover it all i would be looking at three cameras
looking down a new path every once in a while does you no good. Use two cameras.

Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.