IP Camera Recommendation

Reaction score
Hi folks. New signup. First post. I'm looking for a few (2-3) IP cameras for a remote rural location that has power but no internet. I really don't want to use a DVR system if at all possible. Instead, I would simply like to have cameras that capture motion events to a SD Card. Every couple of weeks, I plan to visit the property and access the SD Cards remotely with my iPhone or tablet to download the footage and clear them out. Preferably, I would like the IR to be invisible on these cameras but it's not required. I've done the appropriate Google searches and found a few cheap Chinese versions but I'm unsure about accessing the SD cards remotely. Can this be done with any wireless camera? I simply don't want to pull the trigger on any purchase without getting some solid recommendations first. Thanks in advance.

toysareforboys

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
...download the footage and clear them out.
There is generally no need to clear out the SD cards. When they get "full" the camera will delete the oldest events to make room for the newest events.

I only use SD cards as a backup to the DVR (in case the DVR is stolen, goes bad, etc.). I don't know if it's the cold canadian weather or what but SD cards for me don't live a long life unless I use the high write cycle ones (SLC vs. the normal MLC).

-Jamie M.

Reaction score
There is generally no need to clear out the SD cards. When they get "full" the camera will delete the oldest events to make room for the newest events.

I only use SD cards as a backup to the DVR (in case the DVR is stolen, goes bad, etc.). I don't know if it's the cold canadian weather or what but SD cards for me don't live a long life unless I use the high write cycle ones (SLC vs. the normal MLC).

-Jamie M.
Thanks for the tip on clearing out the SD cards and the cold. Fortunately, I am in Mississippi where we have to worry about the warm humidity more than anything. This may cause an issue also, so I'll be looking very carefully for options. Thanks again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on clearing out the SD cards and the cold. Fortunately, I am in Mississippi where we have to worry about the warm humidity more than anything. This may cause an issue also, so I'll be looking very carefully for options. Thanks again.
sd cards are a great backup option and if you use quality cards and record on motion will last for many years. But stop being cheap, you should have an NVR or pc based vms recording the footable to a traditional hard drive. I would take you hours to download footage from an sd card and multiple cameras...using a pc based NVR you could copy the data much more easily and quickly to review later which seems like what you want to do...using a pc based vms you can even have the data written to a dedicated drive and swap it out (with another).
You dont want a wireless camera...run cable to the cameras.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To me a SD storage would be a total waste, most cameras keep the SD card in the camera it self which a thief would have easy access to. Not saying someone would know to take the SD card out but why risk it when there is much better options? I would get BI and a pc this is a much better option. You will mostly depend on a remote location. And need to log in remotely use BI