IP Camera setup, local router? Second router?

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I currently have a home theater pc setup, so I can stream movies and shows from my local hard drives. I requires my local router bandwidth while streaming movies to my ROKU from my computer.

If I have IP Cameras, also an NVR, they will also want some of the local bandwidth. How can I prevent a huge bottleneck? Can I take a 2nd router and run the cameras from it, and plug that 2nd router into my main router for only internet access? Or is this not even an issue?

Thanks everybodies!! :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have a home theater pc setup, so I can stream movies and shows from my local hard drives. I requires my local router bandwidth while streaming movies to my ROKU from my computer.

If I have IP Cameras, also an NVR, they will also want some of the local bandwidth. How can I prevent a huge bottleneck? Can I take a 2nd router and run the cameras from it, and plug that 2nd router into my main router for only internet access? Or is this not even an issue?

Thanks everybodies!! :)
If your network is gigabit and the cams are wired, this is a non issue..if your camera are wired directly to the NVR (or to a switch attached to the NVR) this is also a non issue as none of the data passes through your router until you stream the video.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought the data would pass locally through the router at all times while recording to the NVR, but thinking about it. I guess you are correct.

I have a Linksys E4200 router with DDWRT installed; The Linksys E4200 offers maximum speed (up to 300 + 450 Mbps), optimal range, and simultaneous dual-band technology to create an ultra-powerful wireless network designed for home theater performance. Simultaneous dual-band Wireless-N technology allows for smoother and faster HD/3D video streaming. A built-in USB port lets you add external storage to share files across your network. And a built-in UPnP AV media server means you can seamlessly stream media files across your network. Plus, included Cisco Connect software gets you set up in three easy steps and offers powerful tools for ongoing management of your network.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the data would pass locally through the router at all times while recording to the NVR, but thinking about it. I guess you are correct.

I have a Linksys E4200 router with DDWRT installed; The Linksys E4200 offers maximum speed (up to 300 + 450 Mbps), optimal range, and simultaneous dual-band technology to create an ultra-powerful wireless network designed for home theater performance. Simultaneous dual-band Wireless-N technology allows for smoother and faster HD/3D video streaming. A built-in USB port lets you add external storage to share files across your network. And a built-in UPnP AV media server means you can seamlessly stream media files across your network. Plus, included Cisco Connect software gets you set up in three easy steps and offers powerful tools for ongoing management of your network.
If your cameras are connected to the NVR, then it does not pass though the router...you can turn the router off and it will still record...
The e4200 is gigabit and you will not even come close to saturating that even if the data passed though the router.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I forgot even what router I had until posting this, I don't know what I was thinking. I imagined that at all times during recording the cameras data went through the router > to the NVR. But as I've said before, once I get my hands on something, I will learn and figure it out quickly. My first dahua 4mp IP Camera will be here Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks for the info, I over think things sometimes, plus I have so many other things going on in my life, hence the need for HD Cameras. I plan to end up with 16 cameras, I currently have 8 analog cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot even what router I had until posting this, I don't know what I was thinking. I imagined that at all times during recording the cameras data went through the router > to the NVR. But as I've said before, once I get my hands on something, I will learn and figure it out quickly. My first dahua 4mp IP Camera will be here Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks for the info, I over think things sometimes, plus I have so many other things going on in my life, hence the need for HD Cameras. I plan to end up with 16 cameras, I currently have 8 analog cameras.
The 4mp will be miles ahead of the analog cameras..and you might find that you dont need as many because of the generally wider viewing angle on the HD cameras. 16 may be overkill on a residential install...but that depends on the property..

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've actually got some 170* degree lens' on my analog cameras that I've modded and it's not enough. The layout, with my building, home and other areas can't be covered because the way it's laid out. I may not end up with 16 total, but I'm wanting an NVR that can do atleast 16 so if I want to add more, I can without future expenses, besides buying the cameras. I currently have a PTZ mounted about 35 feet up, I'm not paranoid. Once you have a problem cameras are great to have, plus if you find something on your property out of place, you can review your cameras and find out exactly what happened. I've had cameras at each location I've lived in since 1995, it has evolved so much since then, it's crazy. I know I don't have to tell you all how valuable cameras are, especially if you have jackass neighbors.

I took a wide angle cell phone lens, attached it to a few of my analog cameras. It seems rigged, but works great lol. I couldn't find such a wide angle lens to actually replace the stock 3mm lens.
If you aren't familiar with the cell phone wide angle lens, it has a metal ring that has adhesive on it, and the lens itself is magnetic, so it attaches to the metal ring. So just take the metal ring with adhesive, attach it center on your camera's outer lens, and it gives you a super wide angle view. It is a fish eye look, but serves my purpose. Granted your cameras lens has to be a certain mm and needs to be very close to the glass lens or it won't be centered to see through the wide angle fish eye lens.
If curious, I can take a snapshot tomorrow. It was a wild idea I came up with to solve my problem, and it doesn't look bad attached to the camera. haha. :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Neewer-Detachable-0-67X-Wide-Angle-Lens-for-Cellphone-/271873380798?hash=item3f4cea91be

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
At that wide angle I cant imaging the image looking good...particularly with an analog camera.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The image is small, it's not the worst in the world but you can atleast see if anyone is there.

At that wide angle I cant imaging the image looking good...particularly with an analog camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The image is small, it's not the worst in the world but you can atleast see if anyone is there.
You can probably get most of that area with a 2.8mm hikvision lens..thats not even close to 170 degrees...
This is a 2.8mm hikvision at 3mp(watch in 1080p)...the 4mp hikvision will be even wider.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think where the lens is 3.6mm and then I have the cell phone camera lens attached to that, it has affected the over degree field of view. It does what I needed to for the fact I couldn't get a wide lens for the camera at the time, haven't looked since. Soon It will be replaced with HD cameras :)

Thanks for the help, I'm excited once I get everything together and updated to 2015! lol