IP camera to second NVR

Reaction score
So I am a total newb with all this stuff. I have a 31 camera system all HIkvision setup connected to 2 nvrs. The company that installed it was suppose to service it but they went out of business and left me high and dry. So I had my security room camera backed up to a secondary nvr. I had my nvr crash on me so I ordered a new one(same model) and now I am having an issue adding the camera to the new one. It says no ip cameras available and all 31 cameras are showing up but say connected to other device. I have spent about 6 hours online trying to figure this out. Any idea of what I need to do?

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You've given no details on the NVRs - how many channels, how many PoE ports, how the cameras are connected, or shown the existing configuration, so this is a bit speculative.

What may help for example is :
With a, say, 8-channel NVR that has 8 PoE ports, it's not possible to 'add' or 'delete' any of the channels as they are all pre-defined. You need to modify an existing channel.
To 'add' a camera to an NVR PoE port, where the camera hasn't been automatically added by the NVR in 'Plug&Play' mode, there are 2 possibilities:

Reset the camera to defaults and connect it to the desired NVR PoE port, where the NVR will automatically 'Activate' the camera under Plug&Play mode.

Note down the IP address that is configured on the NVR PoE channel you want to connect the camera to.
Change the NVR PoE channel to 'Manual' mode and enter the camera admin password.
Change the camera IP address to match what you noted down as used by the NVR PoE port you will connect the camera to.

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for the response! I didn’t explain myself very good but after talking to tech support(couldn’t help me and said I need to have an installer come out and help me) and talking to my friend I have a better direction and explanation of what I’m looking to do.

I have 2 16 channel nvr- The camera is connected to one of the 16 channel NVR and is already an active camera. I have a 3rd NVR- DS-7604NI-Q1/4P which I need to backup that one camera to. All 31 cameras are showing up through the LAN connection on 3rd NVR- I Have tried using custom protocol- rtsp://(ip):554/ch1/sub/av_stream
rtsp://(ip):554/streaming/channels/102
rtsp://(ip):554/HighResolutionVideo(recommended on HikVision for that camera- DS-2CD2342-WD-I

I have gotten network is unreachable error.
Any other ideas?
Thanks guys

Reaction score
There was no network settings in place. I thought they would automatically be filled in, so I filled in ipv4 address, subnet mask, and gateway. Then I used custom protocol to add for sub stream :554/ch1/sub/av_stream.

Now onto the next issue, cameras turning off for like 10 seconds to a minute then coming back on. I appreciate having this forum to read, I have a lot to learn but I’m happy to understand the system much more now than I did before!