IP Camera to take on Vacation to view pets?

ChrisL12

n3wb
Reaction score
At home i use BlueIris and HIk cameras,

Sometimes when we go on vacation we take our pets with us to a air BnB house that has wifi.

What camera could i use to view my pets on my phone while we are away for a hour or two? I was thinking a ring cam.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd look into a TP-LINK Tapo C110. You could still use it with Blue Iris as a pet cam when you get home. I bought one in Dec. '22 and had it streaming RTSP to Blue Iris 5 and also VLC. Not bad looking for a $25 wireless only, cloud-based little cam with 2-way audio, SD card recording and selectable 720p/1080p/2K resolution.

You create a free account with TP-LINK using their app to view on your phone. It's P2P and I would likely delete the app off my phone after I left the BNB.

How to stream RSTP from TP-LINK Tapo C110 cloud camera to Blue Iris or VLC

1. Install the Tapo app on your phone, open it and power up the Tapo cam. Refer to the included instructions if needed.
2. Configure your phone to locate and log onto the Wi-Fi SSID being broadcast by the Tapo, no password needed.
3. When logged into cam's broadcast, follow prompts in the app to get the cam logged onto your location's Wi-Fi.
4. Once the cam is on your location's Wi-Fi, change your phone back to your location's Wi-Fi as well.
5. When ready, in the app select the "+" sign to "Add Your Device".
6. Select "Cameras" on the left, then select "Tapo C110". Do NOT select the C100.
7. Go to the "Home" screen and click on the icon for the cam.
8. When the cam's live view comes up, you can then proceed to the next step.

Create a camera account in the Tapo app

1. On the home page, tap on your camera model card or tap "Camera Preview" => "Manage" to go to the "Live View" page.
2. On the "Live View" page, tap the gear icon to enter the "Camera Settings" page.
3. Tap "Advanced Settings", then select "Camera Account" to create an account (username and password) for camera login for use with Blue Iris and/or VLC.

Find the cam's LAN IP address

1. Log into your router's webGUI and look up in the LAN settings under DHCP the devices that are online. Look for a device named "c110_" and then the last 6 digits of the cam's MAC address which can be found on the bottom of the cam's stand. It will be similar to "c110_54b7f4".
2. Note or write down that device's IP address.
3. While still in that router's webGUI for the LAN DHCP settings, reserve that IP that was assigned by the router's DHCP server to the cam. That will be the IP address you use in Blue Iris or VLC.

To view in Blue Iris

1. Create a new camera, refer to the image below for the following steps.
2. Go to "Camera settings" => "Video" tab => "configure"
3. Type in camera's IP address, username and password (sub your correct info for my info, it's the user/pass you created above in step 3 in the Tapo app's "Camera Account").
4. For "Make" select "Generic/ONVIF"
5. For "Model" select "*RTSP/H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4"
6. Enter "/stream1" in the "Main" stream profile and "/stream2" in the "Sub" stream profile.
7. Click on "OK".

You may have to remove power from the cam, count to 10 then re-apply power for it to incorporate the changes to its stream and account settings. If all info is correct, camera should be displayed.

Tapo_C110_config1.jpg

To view in VLC

1. Open VLC.
2. Go to "Media" => "Open Network Stream" => "Network" tab.
3. Type in one of the following URL's and click on "Play".

For main stream, use the following URL:
Code:
rtsp:/username:password@Camera-IP/stream1
For sub stream, use the following URL:
Code:
rtsp:/username:password@Camera-IP/stream2
NOTE: Be sure to put 2 "/" after "rtsp:", as forum won't display 2 consecutively here.

REMINDER: The Tapo C110 streams to TP-LINK's cloud and back down to be streamed to your phone, Blue Iris or VLC so your phone's cellular data and/or your location's Wi-Fi data rates can apply. I mention this cloud also because there can be concerns about security and/or reliability with a P2P/cloud operation.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
At home i use BlueIris and HIk cameras,

Sometimes when we go on vacation we take our pets with us to a air BnB house that has wifi.

What camera could i use to view my pets on my phone while we are away for a hour or two? I was thinking a ring cam.
Get a wyzecam v3 pan/tilt camera for 35 bux direct from wyze. Add cam plus for 1.99 a month or 15 a year for acceptable AI so you can determine if a human has entered when you are away.

ChrisL12

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't really need any more cameras for BI but you never know. I guess this would work on any ones wifi as long as the password did not change.

Does TP-link not charge a fee?

I only said ring because i setup ring cams for a friend.

Thanks for the ideas.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ring will only let you view live without paying. If you want to watch something in the past, you need to pay the monthly subscription.

Reaction score
Check eBay for "Amcrest 4MP camera" for new cameras about $50, refurbs about $40, or used for even less.
All depends on what you prefer, but the IP2M-841B suggested by @bigredfish above is also a great deal.
All these cameras are made for Amcrest by Dahua, and are excellent quality.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does TP-link not charge a fee?
Only for storage on their cloud.
Live view is free and it'll store locally on a SD card
The free app provides 2 way audio so you can holler "Don't you dare pee on that <your pet's name> !" :cool:
Buy from amazon and you can return if you don't like it.

I also have 4 IP2M-841's for several years and as others have said, they're pretty decent for the money.