IP Cameras Disconnecting

Crimmie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I hope someone can help...

I have two Hikvision IP cameras DS-2CD2145FWD-I & IPC-D120. The networking side is those two cameras are plugged into a Netgear FS108P POE Switch that is connected to the router, then using my Synology NAS to record and access live/recording externally.

Everything was working fine, however, the stock router from my ISP has poor WiFi so decided to upgrade to an ASUS RT-AX88U with a new Draytek Vigor 130 modem for the fibre connection. Everything plugged in the same way just with the new router, I changed the IP addresses via SADP and everything appeared to be in order. For some strange reason the IP cameras keep disconnecting with the IPC-D120 dropping out more frequent and even taking a long time to login to the GUI via a web browser locally.

Has anyone any suggestions on what the issue might be?

Thanks in advance

Crimmie

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Some routers suffer performance problems when streaming IP camera video traffic through their switch ports.
Although I'd be surprised if that particular model was in that category.
But best practice would be to avoid burdening the router with the the camera (and NAS) traffic, and connect the NAS to the PoE switch.
My suggestion would be to try that, even with a temporary network cable, and see if it eliminates the problem.

Crimmie

n3wb
Reaction score
Some routers suffer performance problems when streaming IP camera video traffic through their switch ports.
Although I'd be surprised if that particular model was in that category.
But best practice would be to avoid burdening the router with the the camera (and NAS) traffic, and connect the NAS to the PoE switch.
My suggestion would be to try that, even with a temporary network cable, and see if it eliminates the problem.
Both the cameras and NAS are plugged into the POE switch and the switch to the router. Are you saying to just have the NAS and camera standalone in the switch and not connected to the network? I use my NAS for other stuff such as video streaming etc. I would be quite annoyed if a £300 router can’t handle what a crap ISP router could.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Both the cameras and NAS are plugged into the POE switch and the switch to the router. Are you saying to just have the NAS and camera standalone in the switch and not connected to the network?
No - I misread your post, sorry.
Note to self - re-read what was stated before jumping to the wrong conclusions.

What you've described is the best arrangement.
Switches are for switching and do all ports at full speed.
Routers are for routing and packet inspection, and can get a bit distracted handling their switch port traffic.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is there any form of power management on the router ports? If so, you might want to try turning that off. When you the cameras keep disconnecting, can you elaborate on that?