IP Cameras - is mixing brands OK or to be avoided?

rcheli32

n3wb
Reaction score
I thought there would be a sticky about this or an FAQ, but I didn't spot one.

I'm not impressed by the Hikvision reliability and support, but don't know if it is considered fine/reliable to mix camera brands with a Hikvision NVR?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If the NVR is Hik, stick with Hik. Keep in mind that both Hikvision and Dahua are not directly marketed to consumers and are actually meant for the professional installer market. That's why you'll find support is kind of non-existent for both of them.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have Hikvision NVR's and have no problem using Dahua cameras with them. At one point I had mostly Dahua cameras and just a few Hikvision cameras. I have had no problems mixing the two. I cannot speak for any other brands.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought there would be a sticky about this or an FAQ, but I didn't spot one.

I'm not impressed by the Hikvision reliability and support, but don't know if it is considered fine/reliable to mix camera brands with a Hikvision NVR?
Hi @rcheli32

Question: "IP Cameras - is mixing brands OK or to be avoided?"

The answer is nuanced.

For example in the USA one Brand / Company LaView sold cameras from Hikvision ( OEM ) and Dahua ( OEM ) and another OEM under their brand.
Mixing and matching the same brand with the LaView NVR you got could cause compatibility issues as the cameras could be from different OEMs.
Yes, ONVIF in theory is supposed to resolve this.. but in practice it is not fully compatible with the latest technology. Each OEM has their own APIs or licenses an API from another source.

Ideally you want to ID the OEM and match the appropriate features of a particular camera with the appropriate NVR / VMS.

Easiest is naturally to get all from the same vendor as a single purchase with the understanding they need to interoperate.

rcheli32

n3wb
Reaction score
Easiest is naturally to get all from the same vendor as a single purchase with the understanding they need to interoperate.
That's exactly what I needed to hear. I now need to work out which alternative to a DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL I should get that has a Microphone and Face Detection smart event. They don't make it super simple to select only audio enabled cameras!

I was generally happy with the DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL but nobody seemed to realize that it was incompatible with Face Detection smart event features when it was recommended :(.