IP Cameras not individually connected to NVR

pds98101

n3wb
Reaction score
A very basic question: Let's say there are six PoE cameras in another building all connected to a PoE switch located in that other building. Then there is a single ethernet cable between the PoE switch in that other building to the building where the NVR is located, and it is plugged into one of the NVR camera jacks. In addition to this, there are three cameras in the same building as the NVR, all of which are wired directly to their own camera jacks on the NVR. I am assuming that, even though only four camera jacks are being used on the NVR, the NVR still must be an 8-channel device to accommodate the 8 cameras. Is that right? Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A very basic question: Let's say there are six PoE cameras in another building all connected to a PoE switch located in that other building. Then there is a single ethernet cable between the PoE switch in that other building to the building where the NVR is located, and it is plugged into one of the NVR camera jacks. In addition to this, there are three cameras in the same building as the NVR, all of which are wired directly to their own camera jacks on the NVR. I am assuming that, even though only four camera jacks are being used on the NVR, the NVR still must be an 8-channel device to accommodate the 8 cameras. Is that right? Thanks.
Welcome pds,

Basically, yes.

NVRs are rated in channels, which is >= ( greater than or equal ) to the number of PoE ports. ( it is possible to get an NVR w/o PoE ports )

Channels are basically the number of cameras ( rtsp video feed sources technically ) you can configure to the NVR.

So, it maybe worth while to get a NVR which is rated for more channels if you're already planning to hit the max.

pds98101

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's an update on this:

I procured an NVR with 16 PoE ports, a suitable PoE switch (unmanaged) and two IP cameras. I hooked up the two cameras directly to two PoE ports on the NVR and they work fine.

Next, I plugged the uplink port from the PoE switch into one of the PoE ports on the NVR and moved one of the cameras to the PoE switch and everything continued to work fine.

However, when I moved the second camera to another PoE port on the switch, it would not work (the first one remained fine.) Repeatng the procedure but in a different sequence so that the cameras are moved to the switch differently is the same. In other words, only the first camera connected to the PoE switch will work.

Is it necessary to connect these off-site cameras coming from the PoE switch to the inside network side of the NVR? Apparently, the individual PoE ports on the NVR will support only a single camera.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's an update on this:

I procured an NVR with 16 PoE ports, a suitable PoE switch (unmanaged) and two IP cameras. I hooked up the two cameras directly to two PoE ports on the NVR and they work fine.

Next, I plugged the uplink port from the PoE switch into one of the PoE ports on the NVR and moved one of the cameras to the PoE switch and everything continued to work fine.

However, when I moved the second camera to another PoE port on the switch, it would not work (the first one remained fine.) Repeatng the procedure but in a different sequence so that the cameras are moved to the switch differently is the same. In other words, only the first camera connected to the PoE switch will work.

Is it necessary to connect these off-site cameras coming from the PoE switch to the inside network side of the NVR? Apparently, the individual PoE ports on the NVR will support only a single camera.
HI pds

Check the IP address... ( of the camera )

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
In other words, only the first camera connected to the PoE switch will work.
Yes, that's how the NVR PoE ports operate - one camera per port.
Look at the configuration for the NVR PoE channel - it has a single IP address.

Is it necessary to connect these off-site cameras coming from the PoE switch to the inside network side of the NVR?
Yes, that will work just fine. Assuming the NVR LAN interface is connected to the LAN that the PoE switch is on.
You can assign an NVR PoE channel to connect to a LAN-connected camera as follows:
In the NVR web GUI, select the PoE channel you'd like to assign, use 'Modify' to change the mode from Plug&Play to Manual.
Change the IP address to match that of the LAN-connected camera.
Click OK.
The camera will appear in Live View.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
As Alastair says manually enter each camera both nvrs are not using there Poe ports I have Poe switch’s deployed around the property the top switch handles the nvr lan ports if I need another 8 channel nvr it’s easy to slip in the network

Attachments

pds98101

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, all. Assigning IP addresses manually and connecting the PoE switch to the outside network connector on the NVR, which is configured in the same Class C subnet, brought everything online and working properly. Setting to H264 (not H264+, not H265) for the main stream was also required in this particular install too.