IP cameras that mount in a car?

Reaction score
I have used the all-in-one dash cams for years. They have saved my butt more than once when someone lied about a wreck.

I mount one dual-camera dash cam under my rear view mirror that records front and out the drivers side window. I mount another dual-camera dash cam on the rear window which records out the back and out the passenger side.

This is OK, but I want something better.

The high end security systems use NVRs (network video recorders) and IP cameras. Until recently, NVRs were too expensive for me but now I see mini NVRs for $40, direct from China. I imagine installing a SSD in a mini NVR, and combining that with multiple IP cameras in my vehicle.

The catch is: I can not find IP cameras that are suitable for in-car mounting.

Has anyone found such things, or am I stuck with huge bullet cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have used the all-in-one dash cams for years. They have saved my butt more than once when someone lied about a wreck.

I mount one dual-camera dash cam under my rear view mirror that records front and out the drivers side window. I mount another dual-camera dash cam on the rear window which records out the back and out the passenger side.

This is OK, but I want something better.

The high end security systems use NVRs (network video recorders) and IP cameras. Until recently, NVRs were too expensive for me but now I see mini NVRs for $40, direct from China. I imagine installing a SSD in a mini NVR, and combining that with multiple IP cameras in my vehicle.

The catch is: I can not find IP cameras that are suitable for in-car mounting.

Has anyone found such things, or am I stuck with huge bullet cameras?
There are tons of mini/board ip cameras...however, the biggest problem with these is the time it takes the cameras and NVR to boot and start streaming video...Often accidents happen when pulling out or backing up...the dashcams boot very fast...stick with good dashcams for now...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
good dashcams also have way better and faster responding WDR than most IP cameras and that's critical for any vehicle in motion.. Security cameras are designed with the mindset that the camera's location will be permanently fixed, and massive scene changes will be rare and not the norm.