IP Cameras with clean HTML5 interface (no plugins!)

TimJWatts

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Apart from Axis (expensive but good) are there any makers that have a decent HTML5 web interface that works on Chrome/Opera/Firefox (ie does not reply on weird plugins that only work on IE on Windows)?

This would be PoE + Wifi (either/or - mine are mostly wired but it's useful sometimes to put one temporarily somewhere with no ethernet), fixed HD, or maybe PZT depending on price.

I've tested Axis and they pass, but they are quite dear. I'm ditching my 3 cheapy Hikvisions after the hack, as 2 were direct from Aliexpress and I can't patch them with English FW, despite trying the guide on this forum. Hikvision had a horrible web interface that only fully worked with IE (not even Edge) and I'm keen not to repeat that mistake.

Recommendations welcome :) I'll be sure to test before buying this time...

Many thanks,

Tim

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Apart from Axis (expensive but good) are there any makers that have a decent HTML5 web interface that works on Chrome/Opera/Firefox (ie does not reply on weird plugins that only work on IE on Windows)?

This would be PoE + Wifi (either/or - mine are mostly wired but it's useful sometimes to put one temporarily somewhere with no ethernet), fixed HD, or maybe PZT depending on price.

I've tested Axis and they pass, but they are quite dear. I'm ditching my 3 cheapy Hikvisions after the hack, as 2 were direct from Aliexpress and I can't patch them with English FW, despite trying the guide on this forum. Hikvision had a horrible web interface that only fully worked with IE (not even Edge) and I'm keen not to repeat that mistake.

Many thanks,

Tim
The hack is irrelevant...you should never port forward any camera... setup VPN...

CCTVGuy

n3wb
Reaction score
Current model Hanwha Techwin (previously Samsung Techwin) cameras (Wisenet X, P, & Q series) do not require a plug in and can work on any browser. They use responsive web as well to allow easy access on different screen size devices.
www.hanwhasecurity.com

e007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

Many thanks,

Tim

It's weird that Axis still requires Internet Explorer to configure motion detection even though it could be easily done with javascript. Same for Hikvision (at least on newer models).

Axis has the best web controls in my opinnion. :D

TimJWatts

n3wb
Reaction score
Current model Hanwha Techwin (previously Samsung Techwin) cameras (Wisenet X, P, & Q series) do not require a plug in and can work on any browser. They use responsive web as well to allow easy access on different screen size devices.
www.hanwhasecurity.com
Ah - thank you - some very nice cameras there.

Last edited:

TimJWatts

n3wb
Reaction score
It's weird that Axis still requires Internet Explorer to configure motion detection even though it could be easily done with javascript. Same for Hikvision (at least on newer models).

Axis has the best web controls in my opinnion. :D
Axis does? Bummer. I thought their interface was clean (it's been a few years since I had my hands on a PZT Axis and the online demo cams don't usually let you have that level of access)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The question stands - Hikvision has a terrible web interface (the hack is merely the catalyst) and two are semi useless now.

One also makes a judgement concerning any element of security (even VPNs can get hacked) (needed cams, putting a VPN dependency would have meant no cams due to time constraints, cams off when not needed).

Yeah - this time around, I have some time, so a VPN would be useful...
What time constraints? Cameras get hacked every month... Patches take months.... When was the last time you saw a VPN hack the not immediately patched....? More importantly not immediately disclosed.... Keep exposing your cameras and you'll be bitten in the ass regardless of what brand do you use...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My time constraints combined with an absolutely crazy year. I needed cams in non critical locations urgently and virtually zero time to fiddle building a VPN, plus put client support in (this is home, not work). Also had a firewall to reduce exposure to a significant degree. That's it. You're right in absolute terms - VPN is best, but sometimes, doing it 100% right is not possible and there's enough mitigation not to be too bothered...

As to VPN - I wouldn't necessarily trust a VPN on a cheap home router because people don't patch those either. I will have to build a VPN, but it will be on my linux firewall box next time around (which is now) - but the real question is to find some nice cameras.
you dont need to build a vpn...vpn is standard in many home routers...asus runs open vpn, they have regular patches....
firewall does ZERO, that is ZERO, if you port forward, you are poking a big fat hole in the firewall...
your focus should be on stability and image quality not on whether or not it needs a plugin..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What makes Hikvision's web interface terrible? The fact it needs a plugin that major browsers are no longer compatible with? Hikvision can hardly be blamed for that. Browsers don't support live video streaming natively, and the workarounds everyone uses (youtube, etc) add too much latency. That said, it is pretty ridiculous that Hikvision and others still have not adapted. At the very least they should have a jpeg streaming mode with a big fat disclaimer explaining that we can all blame Google and Mozilla for it sucking, and then not require plugins for any camera configuration and basic live viewing.

TimJWatts

n3wb
Reaction score
you dont need to build a vpn...vpn is standard in many home routers...asus runs open vpn, they have regular patches....
firewall does ZERO, that is ZERO, if you port forward, you are poking a big fat hole in the firewall...
your focus should be on stability and image quality not on whether or not it needs a plugin..
Which home router would this be? I terminate PPPoE on a linux server where the firewalling happens.

I also don't recall saying anything about port forwarding... Firewalls can be as tight or as sloppy as you define them to be. Yes, a VPN is better in the general case, but a site-site firewall is not "ZERO" use, it is very effective, unless you expect MITM attacks mid network, which I don't, unless there's a 3rd party WIFI involved or the wired network passes via an untrustworthy 3rd party.

My *primary requirement* is no plugins, because image stability is naff all use if I can't view it.

Would you mind please, if we concentrate on the specific question I politely raised, as stated?

Many thanks to CCTVGuy and e007 for the tips on Hanwha and the fact that Axis still may have some plugin dependencies.

Any others worth looking at?

PS deleting most of my replies that are off-topic to declutter this thread.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Which home router would this be? I terminate PPPoE on a linux server where the firewalling happens.

I also don't recall saying anything about port forwarding... Firewalls can be as tight or as sloppy as you define them to be. Yes, a VPN is better in the general case, but a site-site firewall is not "ZERO" use, it is very effective, unless you expect MITM attacks mid network, which I don't, unless there's a 3rd party WIFI involved or the wired network passes via an untrustworthy 3rd party.

My *primary requirement* is no plugins, because image stability is naff all use if I can't view it.

Would you mind please, if we concentrate on the specific question I politely raised, as stated?

Many thanks to CCTVGuy and e007 for the tips on Hanwha and the fact that Axis still may have some plugin dependencies.

Any others worth looking at?

PS deleting most of my replies that are off-topic to declutter this thread.
what stability? you only need to login to the interface what you setup...after that you should be recording to a different medium...vms, nvr etc...
yes, im sure you will be buying axis and hanwah....why dont you start with how much you are willing to spend...
your firewall is worthless if you open a port to the camera..if you cannot understand that basic principle you are in trouble...

TimJWatts

n3wb
Reaction score
what stability? you only need to login to the interface what you setup...after that you should be recording to a different medium...vms, nvr etc...
yes, im sure you will be buying axis and hanwah....why dont you start with how much you are willing to spend...
your firewall is worthless if you open a port to the camera..if you cannot understand that basic principle you are in trouble...
Excuse me: I think I am best placed to say what I should be doing with my cameras. Live view and configuration *both* need to work from a modern browser on any reasonable platform. Recording would be a later project. There is no excuse for restrictive platform dependent web interface so I choose not to give my money to companies that don't get that. I didn't suggest a price range as I was trying to get a feel for which manufacturers which produced modern non platform dependent interfaces.

Regarding "stability", I quote your good self: "your focus should be on stability and image quality not on whether or not it needs a plugin.."

I've been trying to keep this polite, as one does when asking for free advice. But as you basically are persistently attacking anything I say whilst avoiding the original question, unlike several kind and helpful folks here:

Why do you persist in constantly trying to tell me my requirements are wrong, sometimes referring to wholly random and inaccurate assumptions such as the type of router I employ?
Also, I don't think your understanding of firewall concepts is as good as you make it out to be, if the concept of being able to open a port to a specific limited and trusted range of IP addresses is not one you've come across.

I thank the other excellent folks here for they very helpful contributions, but I'm signing off this forum because I can't be bothered arguing with someone who just wants to argue tangentially and seems to delight in rubbishing other people's opinions and requirements, for reasons that are opaque to me.

You may have the last word, I won't see it.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Excuse me: I think I am best placed to say what I should be doing with my cameras. Live view and configuration *both* need to work from a modern browser on any reasonable platform. Recording would be a later project. There is no excuse for restrictive platform dependent web interface so I choose not to give my money to companies that don't get that. I didn't suggest a price range as I was trying to get a feel for which manufacturers which produced modern non platform dependent interfaces.

Regarding "stability", I quote your good self: "your focus should be on stability and image quality not on whether or not it needs a plugin.."

I've been trying to keep this polite, as one does when asking for free advice. But as you basically are persistently attacking anything I say whilst avoiding the original question, unlike several kind and helpful folks here:

Why do you persist in constantly trying to tell me my requirements are wrong, sometimes referring to wholly random and inaccurate assumptions such as the type of router I employ?
Also, I don't think your understanding of firewall concepts is as good as you make it out to be, if the concept of being able to open a port to a specific limited and trusted range of IP addresses is not one you've come across.

I thank the other excellent folks here for they very helpful contributions, but I'm signing off this forum because I can't be bothered arguing with someone who just wants to argue tangentially and seems to delight in rubbishing other people's opinions and requirements, for reasons that are opaque to me.

You may have the last word, I won't see it.
you are not excused...what kind of issues can you possbily have with a plugin...install the plugin using a supported browser and wallah it works. I dont need you to be polite...I will tell it like it is either way...you have zero clue as to what you are doing...you, like some others, suffer from ocd...its that simple.
I persist on telling you that your requirements are wrong because they are....you are a time waster because you have no intention of spending axis or hanwha money.....you cannot white list an ip range to make it secure, that is easily defeatable...dont let the door hit you on the way out...

john94si

n3wb
Reaction score
I use amcrest and their plugins are total crap.. then i found sea-monkey browser works perfectly without any plugin to view my system.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a couple of cameras that work with Microsoft Edge. It appears that the web page uses Adobe flash player. The same cameras will show the second stream jpg (image being refreshed in browser) using a my android phone.
This is one of them:
Click
IMX291 4x Bullet PTZ:
Camera interface.jpg

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a couple of cameras that work with Microsoft Edge. It appears that the web page uses Adobe flash player. The same cameras will show the second stream jpg (image being refreshed in browser) using a my android phone.
This is one of them:
Click
IMX291 4x Bullet PTZ:
View attachment 27569
Adobe plans to discontinue supporting flash in 2020 so that's not exactly progress.

I use amcrest and their plugins are total crap.. then i found sea-monkey browser works perfectly without any plugin to view my system.
most likely you are using the plugin in seamonkey and don't even realize it.

Last edited:

Sha9628

n3wb
Reaction score
to those asking why the aversion to NPAPI plug-ins: Cameras / NVRs that depend on this ancient (1995) technology, force us to significantly reduce browser security to get it to work with the camera/NVR. Having done so, the browser is now far less secure if used for general Internet browsing.