IP Dome DF8223I-AEL cannot boot after upgrade

JFK

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a DF8223I-AEL IP Dome Camera. I wanted to upgrade to the latest firmware IPD_R3_EN_STD_V5.5.2_Build171201
the Release Note shows that it is supported on my camera.
It looks like the upgrade failed. And I can hear my camera is in booting loop. I do not have remote access to it anymore. I could I fix the issue ? Thanks for you help guys.
Rgds,

JFK

n3wb
Reaction score
I did a factory reset, well, I am getting the IP 192.0.0.64 instead of the fixed IP I had configured. But the issue remains the same. the camera is stuck in boot loop so I cannot access to the web UI

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I did a factory reset, well, I am getting the IP 192.0.0.64 instead of the fixed IP I had configured.
How do you know that's the IP address?
What does SADP show for the camera status and firmware version? DOWNLOAD PORTAL
With the PC IP address in the same range, for example 192.0.0.128, what does a ping -t 192.0.0.64 show?
Is it continuous, or does it have gaps?

Where did you source the firmware that you installed? Was it from here - DOWNLOAD PORTAL

JFK

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi alastairstevenson,
Thanks for your answer.
SADP (Thanks for the link): it shows firmware 5.5.2_Build171201 that I ve installed on the camera. I get it from DOWNLOAD PORTAL

You were right IP Address was 192.168.1.64 and not the one I mentioned
when I do a ping of 192.168.1.64 it is reachable for 5 pings but then it shows host unreachable and then 5 time reachable and so on

The security status of the camera is "Inactive" so I ve setup a password and am getting "error 2015 others" message probably because the camera is not "up" long time enough to get it

any tips ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
when I do a ping of 192.168.1.64 it is reachable for 5 pings but then it shows host unreachable and then 5 time reachable and so on
Well, that does indicate a bootloop.
The firmware is aborting bootup, for reasons yet to be determined.
Nothing else with the same IP address on your LAN?

any tips ?
An easy enough first stab would be to try re-installing either the same or slightly earlier firmware (there will be a downgrade block for major versions) using the Hikvision tftp updater, if the camera still supports that method. If you don't have it, download the tool and instructions (not the firmware) from the second Dropbox link here : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English

Essentially -
Have the camera and the PC wired to a switch or router, as normal.
Power off the camera.
Set the PC IP address to 192.0.0.128
Have the chosen digicap.dav file in the same folder as the tftp updater.
Start the tftp updater, click 'Allow' to the Windows firewall dialogue box.
Power on the camera.
Check the status messages, something like - test, connect, file download and hopefully 'System Update completed'.
Check out the camera.
Maybe repeat with earlier firmware.

Good luck!

JFK

n3wb
Reaction score
So i ve downloaded the Hikvision TFTP Server from dropbox
it is fired up and it is initialized on 192.0.0.128
FW is opened as I can connect to the TFTP and type get the divicap.dav file and download the file from another laptop
But the camera is not connecting to the TFTP. it is not even trying to connect to it

JFK

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a windows VM running on a Mac
Mac and camera are wired to a PoE switch
The windows VM is running the TFTP server

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The windows VM is running the TFTP server
I have run the Hikvision tftp updater on a Windows VM (VirtualBox under Linux) successfully, with the network adaptor set to bridge mode as opposed to NAT mode. I didn't have to change the host IP address for this to work.
It might be worth looking at the network modes available to the VM, and maybe also a temporary change of the host IP to the 192.0.0.x network. But I'm guessing a bit here.

JFK

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I am using the Bridge Option.
My Mac running the Windows VM has the following IP: 192.0.0.129
My Windows VM is 192.0.0.128 (running TFTP)
My 2nd Mac has the following IP 192.0.0.130

From the 2nd Mac, I can TFTP to the 192.0.0.128 running on the Windows VM and GET the firmware file (This as a test that it is working fine and accessible - no FW issue for example or bridging issue)

It looks like the Camera is not requesting for the firmware from the TFTP

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like the Camera is not requesting for the firmware from the TFTP
From your testing, I think you are correct.

The next step when the tftp updater does not work would be to find out if the camera has an easily accessible serial console connection.
I have not yet seen a Hikvision NVR or camera that does not have one, though I haven't had my hands on any high-end devices.
The normal requirements to gain access are a serial TTL to USB convertor (search for PL2303HX-based one) and a 4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH wired connector.
Both of which are available in large numbers on eBay.

JFK

n3wb
Reaction score
OK ... I ve ordered it. unfortunately, delivery is in 1 month.
Could you help with the procedure ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
would you guide me to the procedure in order to fix my issue
Hoping that the camera has the same 4-pin white connector for the serial console that is a standard feature on other cameras and NVRs -

Locate the candidate 4-pin 1.5mm connector on the system board, hopefully there is no uncertainty about identifying it.
Hopefully, if the serial TTL convertor has the same colour coding as the many that I've seen, wire it up as in this image :
Manual: Create console/serial access to Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I

On a Windows PC or VM, download and install PuTTY (Download PuTTY: latest release (0.70))
Find the COM port that the serial TTL convertor has been allocated.
In PuTTY, create a profile for that COM port, serial comms at 115,200 baud 8 bits no parity.

Power off the camera, connect the 4-pin wired connector, start PuTTY.
Power on the camera, and hopefully observe some readable text.

The first task will be to determine the cause of the bootloop.
PuTTY has a useful 'copy rollback to clipboard' feature which gives you the ability to paste the transcript into a text editor for storing, editing, and posting here (code tags, in the '+' of the Edit menu.

Lets see what you find, and take it from there.

JFK

n3wb
Reaction score
HI,
I was overloaded so was not able to test the procedure earlier. I am getting back to it today.
I am not sure about the way the pins should be connected to the camera. I check the link you shared.
only 3 pins out of 4 are used correct ?

first of all, I am not sure about the correct pins on the system board. But I found a connector with (white, red&black, black, yellow&green) so I guess this is the one.
My USB to L2303HX converter has the following pins (green, black, red, white)
so i ve connected as follows:
the green to the yellow/green
the black to the red&black
the white to the black
the red is not connected to anything.

could you confirm it ?
because I am not getting anything on my terminal
thanks for your help.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I check the link you shared.
only 3 pins out of 4 are used correct ?
Yes, TX, RX and GND. The VCC (+5v) should not be connected.
But I found a connector with (white, red&black, black, yellow&green) so I guess this is the one.
No, you should not be disconnecting any cables that are plugged in. The serial console is not likely to be already wired up.

An image of the whole of the system board would be good.
Maybe the connector next to the SD card is a candidate - is it 4 pins, 1.5mm pitch? What is it labelled as?