IP# Question

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, Is it normal to have a router with 192.168. IP numbers and a new Dahua NVR using 10.0. ip numbers.?
I upgraded our router and the old one was using 10.0. and am thinking this may have been where it started.

Thanks

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the cameras are connected to the back of the NVR, one camera one port this is normal. The NVR is on your local home subnet (192.168.x.x) and the cameras are on a dedicated camera subnet (10.0.x.x) .

If the NVR has only one RJ45 ethernet connector, then there is only one local network.

Last edited:

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can still locate and connect the 192. cameras on the NVR, so that means the cameras are going through the network to the NVR? Does that mean that bandwidth could be affected on the home network or is that mainly a problem with wireless cameras using wifi? Appreciate the help.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cameras do not provide much of a bandwidth load when on a wired network. WiFi cameras do provide a load on the WiFi network, they will cause WiFi problems..

Do not run the camera data through the router. This can overload your routers processing ability.

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I know the NVR has 10.0. IP addresses and some of the cameras plugged directly into the NVR (POE cameras) but they still have 192.168 addresses. What's the fix, Go into the cameras and reset them to DHCP to pick up a new address off the NVR? I've been having trouble logging into the cameras through the NVR. Any work around?

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why dont you change the DHCP table in the router to your old subnet, that should resolve your issue. (under LAN setup assign the router IP to the original default IP)

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
At this point most of it is switched over to 192. with just a few stragglers.

I am thinking about having second wireless router just so I can add wifi cameras.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you want wireless cameras, and you want to keep them on your isolated NVR IP range, you can configure a wireless access point to use an IP address in range of the NVR’s switch and plug it in directly to the NVR’s POE port. The cameras will hit the access point and go right into the NVR. They will never hit your LAN

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That sounds like the really smart way to go.

Can you plug a wireless router into an NVR port to do this?

I guess you only would put bandwidth on your network when you are accessing the NVR.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, but you need to configure the router to act as an AP only, no DHCP. And you need to configure the internal IP to be in range of the NVR’s internal IP range. And yes, the only time the camera traffic will be on your LAN is when your viewing the cameras remotely

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Niiiice! Thank you.

Is there a special designation of wireless routers that have this capability or is this standard?

I'm thinking that the wireless router will work in conjunction with the wired POE cams on the NVR, but I will still be limited to the 8 cam capability of the NVR. Is this correct?

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes your always limited to the number of “channels” the NVR was designed for. Any wireless router can be configured to act as an access point, some are just easier than others to configure. You can always google the procedure for your specific model.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When using a wireless access point for IP cameras set the Access point to use a Separate SSID (network Name) and a seperate wifi channel then your home 2.4 GHz network. Almost all IP cameras use the 2.4 GHZ wifi network. This will separate the camera traffic from your home WiFi network.

All cameras must have static IP addresses.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good point, and you might as well hide the SSID while your at it!

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great info. This is very difficult to find out about. Appreciate the help.

We just upgraded to an eero mesh network. Pretty happy with it as our wifi speed picked up from 125mbs with an old apple to 250 - 350mbs now and don't want to bog it down.
Maybe I could pick this up again when the new router arrives. Any suggestions on a dedicated router?