IP scanner to find what's on your network

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Very simple, small, easy to use stand-alone program... I've had this in my arsenal for a long time, and have used it several times...

anyway, I've realized that not everyone has some of these cool little tools that can make life a bit more simple, so have decided to share it to anyone who may be able to use it...

Angry IP scanner... A quick google search will probably provide a dozen download links from various sources, but this one is free, no adds, and works good.

It's excellent to see what all devices are connected to your network. for example, you hook up a new camera and want to see what IP it picked up.

http://angryip.org/about/

http://angryip.org/screenshots/

http://angryip.org/download/#windows

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use Fing, an app for IOS or Android. Handy because it's always with me and can connect to WiFi network and scan all connected devices on a lan. Of course, not handy if you don't have WiFi.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Fing looks nice. I tried it here at work just now and it identified computers by name and shows MAC address and manufacturer for everything. Apparently we have a lot of managed switches or access points around here. I wonder if Fing used SNMP or something to get manufacturer names, or if it used a MAC address range database. I like that it seems to remember scan history, which I'm sure will come in handy.

I used to use angryip all the time but it is comparatively limited and it seems it always gets the default address range wrong as many of the PCs I run it on have virtual network adapters (Hamachi or Neorouter or both). So I always have to type in the address range manually which sucks.

Lately I use an extremely basic scanner I wrote some months ago that does web requests to all detected devices and compares the responses with a list of known responses to try to identify devices with better precision (i.e. Hikvision Camera, Dahua Camera, Web Power Switch, Blue Iris server). It is a great help to be able to identify devices this way, which is a feature I haven't found on any network scanner aside from the scanner my brother has on his Mac.

Anyone know of a better one for windows than angry ip?

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
yup, as I mentioned in the description, "very simple, small, stand alone".... it's nice to carry on a flash drive, or be able to run on any computer without actually installing anything... am checking out the advanced ip scanner mentioned above... thanks

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
The first part of the mac address identifies the manufacture, the second part is the globally unique identifier, in theory anyways. angryIP is the most popular I know of, I use it, I also have fing on my phone, if you want something even more robust you can use something like nmap. :)