IP vs Analog

tanGee

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently installed some IPC-HDW5231R-ZE around my house and my father-in-law has been considering installing some cameras at his home after seeing them. He had a company call out to give him a quote and get some advice on where they would recommend cameras be mounted, with a view to just taking that information and having me order and install something similar to my setup.

The company providing the quote recommended Dahua analog over coax cameras (DH-HAC-ME1200B-PIR) and a DH-XVR5108HS-4KL-X DVR. With them providing and installing it, the cost works out roughly the same as me ordering the IP cameras and NVR from Andy, and installing myself, so it had me wondering if there is a major advantage to going the IP camera route?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey there,

The only time I'd look at using analog would be at a site that has a bunch of legacy coax wiring already run and no budget to replace it.

When I look that camera model up on Dahua's website, it shows in their "Discontinued Products" group:

Looking at its minimum illumination spec (which is one way to get an idea of how it will likely perform in low-light), it rates at 0.02 Lux. Your 5231s rate at 0.006 Lux. A lower lux rating is usually better. So based on that spec, I wouldn't expect this camera to perform anywhere as well in low-light as your 5231 does.

I don't see where IVS (Dahua's better version of motion detection) is listed as a feature on either the camera or NVR. IVS gives you features like tripwire, intrusion zones, etc that can really help reduce the number of false motion detection alerts. Maybe they were figuring that the built-in PIR on the camera would help with that?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with what’s been stated above.

As an owner of multiple analog XVR systems since 2012 I can tell you they are a bit simpler and uber reliable. The 2MP HDCVI starlight cameras rival their IP brothers quite well in image quality.

I have many HDCVI clips on my YouTube channel you can check out here:
Https:/www.youtube.com/bigredfish59

That said I now run a hybrid system and have replaced key cameras with IP versions. The #1 reason is due to the fact that HDCVI cams can only use 1 exposure profile. Seems dumb they don’t, but there are many cases where you may need a different exposure day vs night. With IP cameras you can set the exposure and other profile settings separately.

IVS intelligence is now incorporated in HDCVI systems and frankly their SmartIR works better than most IP cams. They are also about 1/2 the cost of IP cameras.

That particular XVR is rather underpowered. If you go hybrid I would recommend the 7000 series. And on the analog cameras their Pro Starlight series is the sweet spot.

All said and done I would recommend going the IP route today.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The only reason I can think of for going with CVI is if you need real time display of what is happening, like in a backing up camera on a car or truck. There are CVI cameras with the same specs as the new IP cameras,, and there is that ~2 second delay in display, but IP is the best way to go.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
@aristobrat stated the primary reasons above.
Furthermore, I would place no faith or trust in a "company" that would recommend in 2020 such a system as was proposed. :(
Amazingly, I lost bids to a local fire dept and a local town because I bid Digital and the other company bid analog, And analog they got, There are quite a few Installers still using analog all over the place., and they do not care and in both cases the municipalities say they really like the systems, I made my case, explained what the differences were and I lost. Some of the newer hd analog stuff is cheaper and had a good quality Image and that what the Installers are using and upping the bottom line. Most Mom and Pops and small business could care less, they are also looking at the bottom line.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
There is still a place for it, it just works out of the box with little fuss and the Pro Starlights are as good as the 5231 series... .Big downside is when you need control over Exposure for day/night profiles

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@tanGee

IP tech gives you a lot of options and flexibility that coax-analog cameras do not provide. Eventually I believe IP tech will completely dominate the security camera market.

Installing the cabling is the biggest time consumption of the job for most of us - thus I would good with quality cat6 cable - even if you decide to go analog you can use cat6 ( you will need some adapters )

This way, you can easily upgrade your kit in the future to an IP kit when you are ready.