IPC 4k 8MP 25-30fps hard to find - current generations

Hazza06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
firstly i never asked for anything better than prior n-1 generation IPC, that does 25fps 8MP, have you tired to monitor road traffic @15fps? good luck, you gunna miss a sh*te load of video, not rocket science. You'd be better to keep the scope of the discussion to reasonable thoughts, rather than ego inflated ones...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
firstly i never asked for anything better than prior n-1 generation IPC, that does 25fps 8MP, have you tired to monitor road traffic @15fps? good luck, you gunna miss a sh*te load of video, not rocket science. You'd be better to keep the scope of the discussion to reasonable thoughts, rather than ego inflated ones...
You need 8mp to monitor road traffic? Stop with the nonsense. If dahua wants to charge more, they can charge more. This is a free market economy, dont like it move to another brand there are plenty.
And yes, you can easily monitor road traffic at 15fps, you must have terrible angles. Thats not dahuas fault, that is yours.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
must be a Dahua fanboy hey...
I run a mix of many dahua and hikvision cameras. I am a fanboy of free markets and hate pricks who think they are entitled to something for nothing otherwise its "corporate greed". Dont like it buy something else. No one is stopping you. You are obviously very new to surveillance and as such are chasing specs like the fool you are. This is a common problem we see here. Dahua doesnt owe you a camera with your desired specs at your desired price.

Hazza06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As with any vendor, there are always negatives and positives. Having a forum that only discuss positives is useless to the community...of no help at all....I know a whole lot more on video than you think, and to accept 15fps for faster motion scenes is like living in times before video footage was invented. Good luck wth accepting 15fps domain.

Last edited:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
for me, controlled exposure (shorter) is more important than frame rate for identifying moving objects. Even at 60mph (~100kph) or ~90ft/sec, a car will be in my cam's view for 10 frames or more at 10FPS... keep the exposure short enuf and it's sharp enuf to ID anything. no need to take up more network bandwidth, disk space and processing power...

Hazza06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Network b/w and disk space is a complete non issue. All my ipc have thier own dedicated cat6 circuit capable of 10Gbps....

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dahua doesnt give a crap about its sale to you. In fact, they dont want you as a customer. They is why the dont sell to you and dont want their distributors selling to you. For that matter hikvision feels the same way. They dont need someone with 3 weeks of ip camera expertise telling them how to run their business.
Lol. Of course they don't! Luckily Andy happily sells to me xD

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As with any vendor, there are always negatives and positives. Having a forum that only discuss positives is useless to the community...of no help at all....I know a whole lot more on video than you think, and to accept 15fps for faster motion scenes is like living in times before video footage was invented. Good luck wth accepting 15fps domain.
Personally I like 20 FPS as a minimum. I've tried 15 and just wasn't happy with it, too much missing frames especially on fast moving things. Also tried 25/30 and felt the extra increase wasn't as much of an improvement as upping 15 to 20 was.

So I'm currently running both my 2431 and 5442 at 20 FPS. The 4K 2385 I ordered is also 20FPS capable so it should match nicely :)

Now it's all subjective. Certain some people here would probably bash us for saying anything above 15 is needed but fast moving birds and other objects benefit from a few extra frames I find!

Oh fun fact Reolink 4k cams also run 20fps. Just an interesting coincidence.

Last edited:

Grn1z

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hes @EMPIRETECANDY, really cool guy to know! Forum member who helps us all get ip cameras. He has stores on aliexpress and amazon.

Starling

n3wb
Reaction score
I just ordered a Hikvision 2385 from Andy. Nice 1/2" sensor + 4K + Audio + 20 FPS + 16 Mbps
Is the Hikvision 2385 you are talking about the same one at the site below? That site says it is superseded and end of life.

How can we find Andy's store is it on aliexpress?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No one said you can’t discuss the negatives but when you bitch about a company being greedy you will be called out as being greedy yourself. They owe you nothing. I can tell from your posts and the fact that you’ve never touched an NVR before that you have zero experience despite your false claims otherwise. You are an inept amateur.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is the Hikvision 2385 you are talking about the same one at the site below? That site says it is superseded and end of life.

How can we find Andy's store is it on aliexpress?

Different one. It's this darkfighter one.

Attachments

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I like 20 FPS as a minimum. I've tried 15 and just wasn't happy with it, too much missing frames especially on fast moving things. Also tried 25/30 and felt the extra increase wasn't as much of an improvement as upping 15 to 20 was.
Yeah, that's how I started too. Over time as I added more and more cameras it forced a decision of either starting to reduce some FPS on cameras or throwing money towards adding more hard drive space.

For me, it wasn't worth spending more money on HDD space when the only benefit was cars in front of my house moving buttery smooth across the screen. Dropping the FPS to 15 was no big deal, especially when considering anytime I needed something for a "security purpose" usually involved taking a screenshot of a single frame. The image quality of a single frame at 15 FPS is no different than the image quality of a single frame at 30 FPS (going back to @pozzello's thought a few posts up).

From what I've seen from being a member here over the past several years, most of the seasoned folks run their cameras at slower FPS like 15, whereas most folks new to IPC come in wanting to run their cameras at maximum FPS (30 for the US, 25 for the rest of the world).

Like you said, it's all subjective. But when folks with a low post history drop comments like "Good luck wth accepting 15fps domain", it makes me wonder if they understand that FPS and image quality don't go hand in hand.

chaosengine

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Look at these specs:

Image sensor: 1/1.8" Sony Exmor R™ STARVIS™ CMOS
Focal length: 4.3 - 8.6 mm
Resolution: 8MPx
Resolution modes: Stream 1: 3.840 x 2.160 @ 25 fps, Stream 2-3: 1.280x720 @ 25 fps
Video network bandwidth: 64 kBit/s - 10 MBit/s
DSP: Ambarella S5
PoE Standard: IEEE 802.3af (PoE), class 3
Audio: 2-Way, Full-Duplex

It's on sale for 219 EUR (255 USD).

Attachments

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, that's how I started too. Over time as I added more and more cameras it forced a decision of either starting to reduce some FPS on cameras or throwing money towards adding more hard drive space.

For me, it wasn't worth spending more money on HDD space when the only benefit was cars in front of my house moving buttery smooth across the screen. Dropping the FPS to 15 was no big deal, especially when considering anytime I needed something for a "security purpose" usually involved taking a screenshot of a single frame. The image quality of a single frame at 15 FPS is no different than the image quality of a single frame at 30 FPS (going back to @pozzello's thought a few posts up).

From what I've seen from being a member here over the past several years, most of the seasoned folks run their cameras at slower FPS like 15, whereas most folks new to IPC come in wanting to run their cameras at maximum FPS (30 for the US, 25 for the rest of the world).

Like you said, it's all subjective. But when folks with a low post history drop comments like "Good luck wth accepting 15fps domain", it makes me wonder if they understand that FPS and image quality don't go hand in hand.
I would argue lower framerate = better quality (assuming bitrate is fixed) since that bandwidth is spread out over less frames. Higher framerate is only really needed to capture more frames of fast moving things and I like capturing pictures of birds that fly by cameras!

I guess it all depends on someone's requirements and available hardware capacity. In my case I have 2x 3TB reds dedicated to milestone and only 3 cams (4th cam on the way) so I could record for days maybe week or two even at high framerate and bandwidth. I plan on eventually going up to 8 cameras. I MIGHT drop it all to 15fps then if 20 causes performance issues but for now I could max out everything with 3-4 cams and not have any issues.

His exact quote was definitely wrong though since 15 fps is more than enough for general security footage.

Starling

n3wb
Reaction score
Look at these specs:

Resolution modes: Stream 1: 3.840 x 2.160 @ 25 fps, Stream 2-3: 1.280x720 @ 25 fps

That camera looks good, it's slightly above what I was wanting to pay for a camera but might be worth it. It costs around £1k here in the UK, any idea why it is now so cheap in Germany?

However I can't find any reviews or videos about, do you know anything about it?

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Look at these specs:

Pretty expensive hmm. Who is the OEM manufacturer or is that their own product?

chaosengine

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, same here, nothing about it, marketing department seems to be in deep sleep. I've pulled the trigger on it, just to see how it performs. 30 days money back guarantee, free shipping - no-brainer.

Only two shops have in on sale, all other >400 EUR.
They both ship to the UK:
ABUS IPCA68500 IP Kamera Außen Tube 8 MPx 4K kaufen - ABUS Sicherheitstechnik von Firstmall kaufen, 219,00 €
ABUS IPCA68500 IP-Kamera 4K 4.3-8.6 mm T/N IR IP67

I've found it by accident while searching for remaining stock of IPC-HFW2831T-ZAS to see if it's Ambarella or not.