IPC-4k Turret stutter video

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If we are being honest, I see a stutter in your 30FPS examples... (or it is a stutter from the net)
it is a stutter. but Im running 10 cams with 2 maxed out for an example of what a system can do thats busier than his. im not super ocd about that little bit of stutter. I dont run at 30. network is not optimized for 10 30Mbps cams. plus i got a 80Mbps nvr noose around my neck.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
fuck the specs, I'm showing real world.
Yep, thanks for proving my point LOL.

Some cameras are better than others, but some the processor just cannot keep up with everything and every rated spec.

Take the Dahua/EmpireTech Dual lens IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2 as an example. Many people have reported that if you want to use any of the AI features, like face detection, they had to drop the FPS to 5 FPS before it would work reliably. Presumably because the processor couldn't keep up with the higher FPS and the AI.

headpiece

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried running the System with Raid 1 turned off to see how it behaves?
no, i have not, i will temporarily change my storage folders to the gen4 NVME drive and will update with results. this would be a real bummer as SSDs are not my preferred tool for this job for various reasons.
Make sure your NIC is not somehow running at 10/100.....It's happened in here before.
confirmed, GbE
I hope he's not running it in eval version.
i bought the full version and have the same issues.
Just for an example.....I put 2 of my 5442-z4 bullets on max frame rate 30 and max Bits per second 8192.
this example is consistent with my performance and i notice the dropped frames on both of your examples. inb4 'hollywood framerates/you don't need it' etc etc. again just wanna make it abundantly clear here that my priority is to configure my setup such that 4k30 streams and records smoothly FIRST, then back off of that for storage optimizations, lighting and image capture quality, etc. otherwise i feel like i'm polishing a turd.

the good stuff:
in additional testing, I viewed the RTSP stream direct from camera's IP address (NOT the BI server) and the stream is EXTREMELY SMOOTH. this was at 4k30, 12288kbps, H264. this confirms that the camera is capable of running 4k30 at a consistent framerate (and high bitrate!) and the camera is NOT hardware limited. i believe this also confirms that there is not a network issue. however, once the stream touches BI, performance decreases. based on this result i consider it unnecessary to record direct to local storage on the camera for testing. if i have missed something where this is still advisable, despite the RTSP stream being smooth, please elaborate on why and i'll do the test.

after seeing the RTSP stream's performance, i've determined that the perceived performance 'improvements' gained in response to previously adjusting framerate, bitrate, and making Windows Security exceptions were marginal AT BEST and most likely a big dose of Copium for me. in other words, the RTSP stream is night and day difference.

notably, viewing the BI Web Server stream via UI3 on Windows (two machines, tried firefox, chrome, edge) and iOS (two devices, different low-bandwidth streaming profiles) or in the application itself, include wildly fluctuating framerates (suggesting dropped frames). the average is probably 20, but it will swing moment to moment typically between 17 and 23 FPS. the stuttering associated with these fluctuations is also present in the recorded raw footage.

@Flintstone61 and others, thanks for the suggestions and for reading along. my next step is to try storing direct to ssd, however i'm not sure this would explain the frame drops seen while streaming in UI3 or in BI directly.

anyone have any other suggestions?

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I was just making an example of how recording 10 cameras ( 2 of my 4mp 5442's running at max framerate) will tax my system...and their is an 80Mbps NVR ( not connected directly) also recording the cams.
And still get usable footage. I caught and I'ded many a criminal/crime at the condo on 12FPS that was good enough for identifying cars, people, and License plates.
Sheriff got a lot more case#'s generated with better captures than the junk that was running before.

headpiece

n3wb
Reaction score
I was just making an example of how recording 10 cameras ( 2 of my 4mp 5442's running at max framerate) will tax my system...and their is an 80Mbps NVR ( not connected directly) also recording the cams.
And still get usable footage. I caught and I'ded many a criminal/crime at the condo on 12FPS that was good enough for identifying cars, people, and License plates.
Sheriff got a lot more case#'s generated with better captures than the junk that was running before.
yep, again i agree your footage is certainly usable but right now i'm not trying to achieve 'usable' footage. i am glad, though, to see the proof that your larger system doesn't get brought to its knees at 4k30 (acknowledging maybe a dropped frame here or there).

my hope is that the thread will help troubleshoot why BI won't give me 4k30 without frame drops; then i'll back off to 12 or 15FPS if i choose to.

headpiece

n3wb
Reaction score
Some cameras are better than others, but some the processor just cannot keep up with everything and every rated spec.
since i've confirmed that the camera's processor can, in fact, keep up with its rated spec, i'm curious if your RTSP streams also perform better than the BI recordings & streams? do you have a way to test with an RTSP viewer (i.e. VLC)?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
in your original listing, i didnt see your platter specs.
on 1 system im splitting the write load 2/3rds-1/3rd of 19 cams to a 5740 rpm wd 8TB purp, and white label wd 5TB.
on my home system I’m trying. 7200 rpm 8 TB Wd Purp.
i had unsmooth playback on my first build on the 19 cam system with a WD blue 6TB. with cams terminated directly to home runs to an enterprise grade Cisco 3560x 24P. turned out to be the drive.

Last edited: